scrolling food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrolling food

Just a thought I had a few times now and again. Has anyone tried scrolling any type of food? Such as a cookie. This proably seems like a foolish question I know. Never know tho.

I think a ripe banana would be too mushy, but I've got some strip steaks in the freezer I could try.
    What kind of glue should I use to hold the pattern on? Maybe hide glue?
    Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Fretdust:

Have you thought this through?

Have you any idea of the problems that will occur when some male asks his spouse (girlfriend) for one of her baking powder biscuits to cut on the scroll saw because he is out of plywood?

Well, do you want THAT on your conscience?

Phil

PS: instead of food think ICE. Don't know how, but fretwork in ice might be something to think about.
      Last edited by GrayBeard Phil; 08-05-2006, 06:48 AM.

Comment

I had to laugh when I read the post, when first viewed my first thought was what kind of foods one eats while scrolling, after all making all that dust does workup a serious appetite hehehehehh
        Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Just another thought,

Cake pan filled with water, and frozen for about 1 inch to 1-1/4 inch medallion of ice.

Cut one of Patrick Speilman's Wedding Bell medallion patterns with the ice, and float the ice in a punch bowl.

I don't know how you can cut the ice to keep it from melting during the cutting, how to keep the ice food safe during the cutting process, how to mark the pattern so it is food safe, or how to make crystal clear ice at home.

Fretdust: Thanks for getting me thinking early Saturday morning.

Phil

Comment

Hi Fretdust, All kidding aside, we know you don't want to actually scroll on a piece of food. I'm assuming you mean are there any patterns for food, such as a big bowl of fruit. I don't recall seeing anything like this, but it is a great idea for an intarsia or a segmentation wall hanging. Perhaps Neal Moore will see this thread and come up with a pattern. Sue Mey is also looking for ideas for some new patterns, maybe this is just the ticket.
            Fruit 001.jpg (Click on image for larger view)
            This is a painting I borrowed from Priscilla Hauser's book, and it's not a great attachment but it gives an idea of what I'm suggesting. I think something like this wood make a great intarsia or segmentation project.
            Just my $.02,
            Marsha
            LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

The idea of scrolling food isn't as ridiculous as it may appear. The Thais carve very delicate shapes and designs on food using knives.

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I scrolled myself a nice big steak and it tasted just like 1/4" BB plywood.
                Mick. P-20
                Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

You could make a pretty cool ginger bread house out of pieces that were cut with a scroll saw. Just a thought.

Comment

I once read an interview of Patrick Speilman, he cut frozen steaks into shapes for a BBQ.

Some words of caution about scrolling frozen food though.
                    I friend of mine used a table saw at work to cut some frozen salmon steaks several years ago.
                    The saw was in a garage with no heat in the middle of winter.

It seems he did not clean up all the sawdust er salmon dust.

I wont go into the details but the saw was never the same.

As for the employee. He became a manager!
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I guess Pat Spielman beat me to it!
                      I was going to cut my name out of a steak, but I don't need to prove anything now.
                      Nothing wrong with using a saw to cut raw meat (they use bandsaws in butcher shops), but when you need a saw to cut cooked meat or biscuits, you need to find a different cook.
                      Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

HA HE HA HEE HEE. You guys are a Hoot. What fun. Hay I use my band saw to cut up my vineson. Bleach works. and Carl. tell your samon friend, tomatoes work on skucks. not sure on botulisiom. Oh well I think cutting steaks is a cool idea. wish i would have thought of that. I have molds for my squash. that turns them into little grimmlems. so cute. boy now what. Ho Ho. your guys are crazy. I love you. Evie

Comment

Evie I saw someone grow watermelons in square plastic or glass containers. The watermelons ended up like a cube
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Fretdust,

I scrolled the inlay vegetable puzzle and fruit puzzle from Patrick and Patricia's Scroll Saw Puzzle Patterns book for my granddaughter. I hand painted them with acrylic craft paint, and used rub on letters to identify each item. Several coats of sprayed on poly worked well to keep everything in place. She and her friends love them and use them and they are still in good shape. Other foods are also possible but I haven't gotten around to them yet.

sawdustus
                            A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                            George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I have seen gingerbread cookies that were scrolled, and have heard stories of someone cutting some design out of a watermelon rind at one of the scrollsaw picnics a few years ago. I think graham crackers would be a good fun thing to scroll, and wouldnt be to awful messy. As for cutting up sushi or even a steak... not on my saws! Dale
                              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X