Micro Gouges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro Gouges?

Hi! I'm in the process of working on my very first relief and here's my question...

...what is the difference between a micro v gouge and a regular v gouge that's maybe a 1mm? Does it have something to do with the handle size? Thanks.

Re: Micro Gouges?

Yes, no and maybe. Different manufacturers use different nomenclature and different designs. For instance and Cape Forge micro v tool has a long skinny handle about 3/8' wide and 4' long while the Ramelson micro v tool has a handle shaped like their palm tools but slightly smaller. Other manufactuers have other variations. Other maufacturers have other variations. Which one is better? Whichever one your most comfortable with. My suggestion is ask your carving friends and try each one to see. Or you can buy one of each and let the ones you don't like sit in a cigar box (don't ask which one I did).

Comment

How is the Basswood working out for you? Micro tools are great to have for adding detail but they are a little tricky to sharpen. Do you need a micro v tool for this project? Or could you get the same results with using a detail knife?

Dale

Comment

Hi Dale. The wood's great. I'm already hackin' away at it.

As for the tools, I know, the tiny ones will be a pain to sharpen, but I think I'd be able to get the look I'm going for with much more ease by using a micro v than with a knife. I also need some tiny tools to get into the really tiny places. I've been trying to use my knife, but am afraid I'm gonna snap the point right off.

I've just found a Dockyard 5-piece set that looks like it might be what I need. I know you sell Stubai, but are you (or anyone else for that matter) familliar with this brand? Thanks.

Comment

The Dockyard are really nice tools. If you can make it to a Woodcraft today you will save 10%. The Flex Cut micros which I own are very nice also. I like to sharpen my micro tools with a ceramic stone. If you ever need your tools sharpened and there is no one in your area that can help you let me know. Also check www.woodcraft.com
          maybe the 10% off is good online to.

Dale

Comment

I have been using Dockyard Micro gouges for about eight years. I would be hard pressed to carve without them.
            I don't like their knives and V-tool, but their gouge set is terrific.
            Micro V-tools have one use, to get into areas where a larger V would possibly damage the carving.
            What makes a Micro tool a Micro tool? Basically, it is a tool that is too small for 99.9 percent of the carving process.

Sharpening is really not a problem with micro-tools, (if you can avoid breaking them), they rarely go dull if you protect the cutting edge when not in use.

Handle shape and size does not determine if a tool is a micro or not. Although the bend and length of the blade shank will make a definate difference in its usefulness. Of course there is a delicate balance between size and strength.

Comment

Thanks guys you've been a big help!

Comment

I invested in the 2 Cherries micro set, (139.00) worth every penny. I have noticed that it is so much easier to use them in harder wood. I also bought a Pfeil Vtool with a narrower angle which helps most areas of a carving.
                I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

Lorax, I never heard of the 2 Cherries micro set, where did you get them?
                  My only problem with the Dockyard Micro tools is that they come in sets, I only use a couple of them but have to buy more sets to have the different size v tools or gouges that I need. Anyone have any recommendations on any brand that you can buy just the single tools instead of a set? Thanks, Callynne
                  http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Flex Cut sells single tools.

Dale

Comment

Stubai
                      Ramelson
                      Pfiel
                      On the two cherries don't know if they sell them as singles or not, but check Mountain Heritage Crafters.

Comment

MHC does in fact sell two cherries as singles (just looked).

Comment

Another thought on buying tools - If your going to buy 2 in many cases you might as well get the 5 or 6 piece set. For instance, the Ramelson single tools sell for around $16 each and a 6 piece set of the same tools sell for around $32. So, if the tools you want are included in the set, you get 4 free ones to fill your cigar box with or maybe even use some day.

Comment

Ed,
                            That is an interesting thought process you have going there.

Comment

It was difficult, because my mind doesn't work that way when buying tools. It usually works this way - Tools, Buy em all, Now!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Quartz43
                                I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                                Today, 03:40 PM
                              • hotshot
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by hotshot
                                You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                                Today, 02:27 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                                Today, 01:31 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                                Today, 11:51 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                                Today, 11:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X