Oh Happy Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Happy Day!

Finally a day off from work AND it's not so awful hot! So after my morning coffee out to the saw I ran. I had a pattern already put to wood and drilled and ready to go. Only one interruption the wife called me to eat breakfeast
    So here is the fruits of my morning toil, now its back to the saw for the afternoon session!
    Attached Files
    Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Man,

Bill, you are hooked: line and sinker!

Beautifull job, and you are showing a natural talent at cutting these portraits.

Once more, congratulations on a nice cutting. I hope you will show it to us when the finish is applied.

Respectfully,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Nice job Bill.
      How long did it take you?? This past week I did a Zaffino pattern, "Pups on Bench". It took me about 8 hours, forget breakfast and dinner. Am getting used to the spiral blade and would like to cut more of these challenging pieces. Haven't taken a picture yet but now that I learned how to post here will have to get it uploaded. Paul S.

Paul S.

Comment

It is one thing to scroll a pattern before lunch is served, quite another to do a self portrait. Great job!
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

you tried that before breakfeast and COFFEE ....

nice going, your a better man than i gunga din..(<-old movie)

pete
          Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
          "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

Thanks all....

Marcel, yes I am hooked! And if ya'll couldn't tell portraits are my favorite to do. I am going to be starting a wedding gift here very soon. I believe I had asked for suggestions in an earlier thread and have decided to do a photo album. I'll be stack cutting it also, one for the wedding gift and one for myself. I'll be sure to post photo's when it is completed.

Paul, this one took me a little over an hour and a half. I've got several Zaffino patterns lined up to do, but I needed some quick fix's for my scrolling habit so I went with the mountain man, and just finished the German Sheppard which took an hour. Now it's break time and I'm going to fire up the grill. Hopefully I'll get a little more saw time in this evening. The wife knowing I've been suffering from withdrawls is being a real sweetheart and letting me cut to my hearts content.

Carl, now you be nice, while it's true there is a strong family resemblance, it is not a self portrait, it is my great great uncle Ballpeen, but now thats another story.......
            Attached Files
            Bill

DeWalt 788

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Great work Bill!!! I've been looking for a full bodied portrait pattern similar to that with the mountain man holding a musket. A friend of mine owns a sports bar with a West Virginia Mountaineers theme (WVU) and wants me to cut him a Mountaineer logo. Still looking for a nice detailed photo to work from. Again, great job and keep up the good work.
              If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Way to go Bill!!!! Both patterns are EXCELLENT! Did you stack both of these and materials?? Is this a little adrenaline left over from Branson?

Keep up the GREAT Work!

Tim
                "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Neal, I cut this for a buddy of mine who is heavily into that period re-enactment stuff and when he is dressed up he closely resembles this character. He is getting ready to go off and do a "Frontier Days" in Dixon Missouri and I am sure he will be coming back with lots of photo's. I'll be happy to see if I can get a copy of one along the lines your looking for and send it to you. And thanks alot for the compliments.

Tim, and thank you too! And yes I stack cut them both.....you just never can tell when one or more will sell! Or just be that perfect gift......
                  Bill

DeWalt 788

Comment

The mountain man portrait is impressive enough, Bill, but that GSD is absolutely delightful. I rarely cut portraits nowadays, but being the companion of a 15 year old GSD myself I'd love to cut that one. Can I ask where the pattern is available? If you'd care to PM me rather than running the risk of advertising the source, I'd be very very grateful.

Gill
                    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Great job Bill! Both of them portraits look really good.

I'm jealous of you for getting two projects cut in one day (maybe 3 by the end of the evening?) while I sit here inside dreaming of my saw. One of the downsides of living in a desert climate is the temperature over 100°F for the past few weeks. Today it cooled down a bit (it just barely hit the 100°F mark) so I had to get outside and do some chores I've been putting off. Hopefully this 'cool streak' lasts and I can make some saw dust this week.

Everybody keep on cutting and posting pictures, because you are what is getting me through the withdrawals.

Jim
                      Jim
                      DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

First off ,,,, Jim what deasert do you live in. I live in the mojove deasert.
                        fffffffuuuuuuuu is it hot.

And Bill, your wife is a jewle for sure.

But now I just have to say,,, WHO Is the HUNCK in the fretwork. Gosh Would I love to meet him. yummy, yummy. and his dog too. wow. Now if that great germon sheperd looked more like a wolf. now I am In love. OK how come my moddales only look like shelfs and clocks. NOW thats a man. there you go tesing me again.
                        your friend Evie. hubba hubba.

Comment

Bill, that is just some excellent work ! I hear ya on the shop cooling down ! Same here thanx to some rain
                          ....Nice job !
                          ...~Robert~
                          DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Thanks again everyone for the many compliments! It has felt really good to get out and make that saw dust fly! I've put a coat of tung oil on and added another picture with the finish applied. It really made the grain pop!

Settle down Evie! I know now how to get a HOT reaction from you! It's a good thing the dog wasn't a wolf, Hon, I don't think you could of handled it! Evie I too lived in the Mojave desert, for 14 years I called the Antelope Valley home. I kinda miss it too.

I'm almost done with my 3rd project, I will try and get a picture of it up before the nights over.....Oh, and Gill you have mail.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ozarkhillbilly; 07-23-2006, 08:10 PM.
                            Bill

DeWalt 788

Comment

Evie, I live in the town of Hemet, which is in Riverside County, just south of the San Bernadino Mountains. This area is considered the 'high desert' whatever that means. I guess it's because we are around 1300 feet above sea level. This is my first summer living here and it is hot, but it doesn't compare to my last two summers I spent deployed to the gulf. Unfortunately, my shop is in my garage which has no real ventilation or air flow so it's too hot right now to spend much time out there. We also got some thunderstorms today which helped cool things down, but I had too many chores to do outside that kept me from getting into the shop/garage today. Maybe next weekend.

I guess I do sort of have it pretty bad here with the heat, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to what you get in the Mojave.

Jim
                              Jim
                              DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jim Finn
                                The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                                Today, 04:48 PM
                              • MidMich324
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by MidMich324
                                Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                                Today, 03:57 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                                Today, 03:42 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              Working...
                              X