sharpening flex tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharpening flex tools

???When using an Arkansas surgical black slipstone to sharpen flexcraft tools and micro tools. Do I need to use oil on the stone?
    Water? Spit? (no kidding) was told that is what Hobos used??? and will it hurt the tools to just use water? If I must use oil-what kind? thanks

Re: sharpening flex tools

First off, you will not hurt your tools whether you use oil, water, or bodily fluids.

The liquids are used to 'float' the metal that is removed from the tools during sharpening.

On a new unused Arkansas you have your choice of fluids or you can even use it dry. But, once you use oil on it, you can't use it dry again.

If I was starting with a new surgical black Arkansas stone, I would use baby oil. It is cheap, available, smells good, is good for your skin, and will float metal dust just fine.

(To use a new Arkansas dry, you use an eraser to clean it)
    This has benefits if you like to hike and carve.

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....we're supposed to SHARPEN our tools ? :-/

Teri :
      "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

Yes, unless you come to Seattle every few months.

Comment

Hmmmm...sounds like a much better plan. I kind of liked just kicking back in your backyard and chatting while you went to work sharpening all my tools! I could just consider it another 'tool' :-)

Teri
          "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

I learned using the saliva method has worked for over 50 years (just don't try it while chewing tobacco -- yuuuukkkkkk!). The thing with saliva is you've always got it with you.

Comment

I'm with Teri although I can do a so so job of sharpening my tools I am certainly not good at it. When my knives and gouges get dull and honing wont bring back that edge I package them all up and take them to a fellow carver who can put the edge back on them in no time flat. It is an art to sharpen tools, as one old timer once told me 'Sharpening is the first part of the carving process'. Back to that fellow carver friend of mine he charges me $1.00 a tool and to me it is worth every cent.
              Colin

Comment

Ed, is that saliva stuff the same as spit?

Al

Comment

It's saliva on Sat and Sun, spit during the week.

Comment

[quote author=AlArchie link=board=Beginner;num=1060910786;start=0#7 date=08/17/03 at 06:20:56]Ed, is that saliva stuff the same as spit?

Al[/quote]

'The spittin' image' :

Comment

Thank you all for the great reponses to my sharpening questions. I am a wiser wood carver today than yesterday.

Comment

And I am outstanding in my field.......but then, I am going to have to walk back to the house soon, dinners ready!

Comment

Oh NO! No more chewing tobacy! Guess there will be no more spit and whittle men on the street corners. What are those old men going to do?

Diamond stones and leather strops forever!!!!Well, for a while anyway!

Happy Carving
                          Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Has anyone had much luck with the ceramic stones? No oil, no water, just plain ol ceramic....
                            Cheers
                            Ric

Comment

Yup, I'm all for paying someone ELSE to sharpen my tools. I will continue to work at it, and maybe someday I'll be a sharpener....but I don't see it happening any too soon.

Just tonight I ruined the edge on one of my favorite gouges trying to sharpen it on a ceramic stone. It wasn't the stone's fault...surely it's mine.

I just ordered the Burke Sharpening System (from Rick at Littleshavers.com). We'll see if that makes a difference. If not, oh well....I'll just make regular trips to Rick's house!

Teri

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X