Toymaker help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toymaker help

The BC Wooden Toymakers Society is continually making wooden toys for the not so privileged kids.
    Volunteers use their skills as woodworkers or painters to build smiles for children of all ages.
    One of the challenges is finding something for teens.

I have thought of the Mancala game

and tangram puzzles but we need many more things to build, Any ideas?
    Last edited by CanadianScroller; 07-13-2006, 11:55 PM.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Go?

Hi Carl,

How about "Go"?
    Go, also known as Weiqi in Mandarin Chinese (Traditional Chinese: 圍棋; Simplified Chinese: 围棋), and Baduk in Korean (Hangul:바둑), is a strategic, deterministic two-player board game originating in ancient China, before 200 BC. The game is now popular throughout East Asia and on the Internet. The object of the game is to place stones so they control a larger board territory than one's opponent, while preventing them from being surrounded and captured by the opponent.
    The English name Go originated from the Japanese pronunciation "go" of the Chinese characters 棋/碁; in Japanese the name is written 碁. The Chinese name Weiqi roughly translates as "encirclement chess", the "board game of surrounding", or the "enclosing game". Its ancient Chinese name is 弈 (pinyin: yƬ). The writings 棋/碁 are variants, as seen in the Chinese Kangxi dictionary. The game is most commonly known as 囲碁 (igo) in Japanese.

A traditional board for the game is wooden, with the lines painted on.
    The stones are flattened spheroids and fit closely together when placed on adjacent points.
    Players:2
    Age range:Any
    Setup time:No setup needed
    Playing time:10 minutes to 3 hours, although tournament games can last more than 16 hours
    Rules complexity: Low
    Strategy depth: Very high
    Random chance: None
    Skills required: Strategy, Observation

Regards,
    Marcel
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 07-14-2006, 08:42 AM.
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Thats a great idea Marcel.

I would like to play that with M&M candies. winner takes all

It seems in this computer generation we lose track of the traditional games.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
        Farmers market "survey"
        by Linda In Phoenix
        Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
        I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
        For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
        Today, 11:14 AM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to Farmers market
        by Linda In Phoenix
        Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
        Today, 11:00 AM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
        by Linda In Phoenix
        Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
        Today, 09:57 AM
      • Rolf
        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
        by Rolf
        So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
        I like the fact...
        Today, 08:34 AM
      • will8989
        Reply to Farmers market
        by will8989
        Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
        Today, 08:17 AM
      Working...
      X