OT: FIFA World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: FIFA World Cup

Since I am off work with my foot in a cast (BTW: results of Stupid actions rates no sympathy) I have been trying to follow the World's cup. I am under strict orders to stay out of the shop until foot is better.

I am sorry the British team lost. I was also rooting for Dutch, Spain, and Australia. I knew the USA would loose.

I don't know that much about the sport of international football, but really, what the heck is PSO. How can a winner be decided by after 2 overtimes penalty shots?

As someone from North America, somehow the concept of determining a winner based on penalty kicks, just seems wrong. I hope our friends overseas are not offended by my bias opinion.

It just seems wrong.

Phil

Hi Phil

It would be nice to see drawn matches re-played, as they used to in the old days. Unfortunately, this plays havoc with the tournament (and TV) schedules so instead we have extra time followed by penalty shoot-outs. Other techniques have been used in the past but they've all been discarded in favor of penalties.

It doesn't seem to be a popular solution, especially if you're English. Our record is, 'played 5 penalty shoot-outs, lost 5 penalty shoot-outs'.

Good luck Germany!

Gill

PS Hope the foot gets better soon.
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Is the ball round or with pointy ends?

What colleges are playing?
      MinotBob
      Makita MSJ-401
      Universal Tools:
      Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

Comment

Bob, I think they shoot it through a hoop, so I imagine its round???????????
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

The game of football or soccer was around long before the American football game was started.
          I know Americans may seem to think that football is funny name for soccer, but I could never figure out why American football was called football when the ball is thrown around.

I am afraid sports are lost on me I don't seem to get caught up in the fervor. I was disappointed to hear of the shoot outs though.
          I spent many years working in an arena driving the Zamboni. I witnessed many games that were won or lost with overtime shoot outs.

There really are no winners in that format. It seems when a team wins it is a team effort, When a team loses the goalie gets the blame.

I think Gill is right that the teams should have a rematch. It seems the profits get in the way of the sportsmanship.
          Even if I do not get involved in sports all it takes for good sportsmanship is common sense and good manners.
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

My children started playing soccer at the age of 8. I tried to get my son to play at age 5 but he looked at the coach and said I don't like this game, I'm not playing and walked off the field! My daughter has been playing for 17 years, her husband also plays soccer and is a ref and everytime I go to a game with them or to watch them play I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK OFF SIDES ARE!!! Seems if the forward (?) goes after the ball and goes past the last defender it's offsides UNLESS.... and that's what gets me every time! I think they take me to the games so they can laugh when an offsides is called and I ask to explain it to me. So Phil if you figure out offsides, please explain it to me!

Betty
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Betty:

Nope! not a clue.

Had two close guesses, both were wrong.

Phil

Comment

Off-side

This is undoubtedly the most complicated aspect of soccer and it can confuse even professional players and coaches.

The idea of off-side is to prevent strikers from hanging around the goal area, waiting for a long pass to be sent to them so they can pop it into the net.

All players in the opposition's half of the pitch must be level with or behind the last defender but one at the time the ball is played. If the rule didn't say that the player must be level with or behind the last defender but one, the goalkeeper would put all the opponents on-side ! In effect this means that all players must be behind or level with all the opposing out-field defenders, although a side-effect is that there are times in a goal mouth scramble when an attacker can be caught off-side if there is only one outfield defender on the goal-line while his goalkeeper is stranded up the field. That doesn't happen often, so don't worry about it.

A player cannot be off-side if a defender is the last player to have contact with the ball (so if the ball deflects off a defender, the player is on-side). Nor can a player be off-side from a throw-in. Nor can a player be off-side if he/she is deemed not to be interfering with play.

It's this last rule that seems to cause most confusion. When is a player interfering with play? The late, great Bill Shankly once said indignantly, "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be."

Basically, off-side is a judgment call made by the linesman (referee's assistant, as they seem to be known nowadays) who has to take a mental snap-shot of the situation at the time the ball is played. The linesman listens for the sound of the ball being kicked whilst observing the position of the players. A player can be in an off-side position but it will only be given as off-side if the ball is played to him/her by another player, who might be many yards away at the time the ball is kicked.

If you remember that the aim of the rule is to prevent a team from having an unfair advantage by 'goal-hanging', it's easier to work out what's going on.

Hope this helps.

Gill
                Last edited by Gill; 07-05-2006, 04:06 AM.
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Gill,

And that is how Andy Capp was born

LOL,
                  Marcel
                  http://marleb.com
                  DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Hi Marcel

I come from the same place as Andy Capp .

Monkey Hanger Gill

Comment

Gill:

Thank-you. Good write up.

FYI, based on the performance of the USA team, I was guessing it was some sort of standing around in the same place doing nothing for 3 or 4 seconds.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by GrayBeard Phil
                        based on the performance of the USA team, I was guessing it was some sort of standing around in the same place doing nothing for 3 or 4 seconds.

They weren't that bad.

Well, at least McBride was fairly mobile...

Gill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Rolf
                          Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                          That is...
                          Today, 08:15 AM
                        • Jimern
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by Jimern
                          The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                          Today, 06:29 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by will8989
                          The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                          Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by will8989
                          Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                          Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                        • tgiro01
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by tgiro01
                          Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                          Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                        Working...
                        X