How often do I need to sharpen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do I need to sharpen?

That is a hard question with a simple answer.

You sharpen when the tool is dull. Okay, when is a tool dull?

When the tool is no longer a pleasure to carve with; or you see white streaks in the tools path, or the cut surface is cloudy or hazy and stropping does not restore the edge.

Re: How often do I need to sharpen?

A dull tool shows up fast when cutting across the grain of soft wood. A sharp tool leaves a crisp edge, a dull tool leaves ragged, fuzzy edges. I keep a scrap block of wood around to check my edges after stoning and stropping. Those little white lines in the chip tells me to go back to the stone.

Comment

Can't strop enough unless you aren't getting any carving done!
      Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

I very seldom sharpen my tools unless I get a nick in the blade or cutting edge but I do strop my tools after every carving session sometimes during if I feel that the tool is starting to get a little rough to push thru I will strop to take off the residue that sometimes builds up on the blade I dont think you can over strop but I could be wrong.
        Colin

Comment

I strop mostly, but occassionally I give one of my most used tools a few licks on a stone and then strop it. It's amazing how one can get used to the feel of a tool and not know the difference between sharp enough and really sharp.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X