Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Web Site

Scrollers,
    I've been thinking for awhile about a web address I could call "my own." Most of my thoughts have been on what I would like it to look like and what I would have there. But the real question is . . . how do you go about getting started? Is there a good source of information out there that you would consider a "primer" on getting a web site up and running? Any direction would be appreciated. Thanx.

Bruce
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

website

Hi Bruce, I'm not sure if there is a primer on building your own website but I did my own 4 years ago (it has grown considerably since then) and it was not all that difficult.... I say that now laughing because there were times along the way I was ready to kick the computer but then I was computer illiterate at the time.

I used Microsoft Front Page and bought a book called Mastering Front Page visually. With the help of a friend in Canada I was able to get the site up and running within 3 months from start to finish. I had about 3-4 pages at the time and overall I think it was pretty good considering. I actually had someone offer to do one for me for the price of one of my best burnings and hubby convinced me I'd be happier doing it on my own. He was right!!!

I have not used it but I have been told that Dreamweaver is really the best software for webdesign but I can't complain about Front Page. It might not offer as many options for design but I think unless you are looking for a really advanced website Front Page is pretty darned adequate.

The first step is to get a name registered and reserved so once you have your website up and running your ready to go. After much research I found the best companies to register my name (cheapest) and then the best provider to host my website and I've not regretted it.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions that I can help with email me privately [email protected] and I'll do what I can to help. You might also want to check out my site and see what you think.

Nedra
    Nedra Denison
    http://sawdustconnection.com
    http://picturetrail.com/nedraspyrography

Comment

Bruce:

I don't know where or how you plan to host your web site, but here is some basics:

1-- Think up what you want to name your web site. Then verify no one else is using your chosen site name. Example you want to call your site milwabsite.com. your web page then would be www.milwabsite.com. To check this go to http://www.internic.net/whois.html and enter the milwabsite.com and see if anyone has registered. Again, this is only an example.

2-- If no one has registered you may for a small fee register your site with a company authorized to be a 'Domain Name Registration Service.' {Google it} There are several, www.networksolution.com and www.godaddy.com are two. BUT SEE THE NEXT STEP.

3-- Decide how your web page will be hosted, or in other-words which computer will the files for your web page be stored on. Your choices are hosted by your own, {NOT RECOMMENDED} or have some other host your web site. If you go with another web hosting, most will register your domain as part of the startup fee.

4.-- This is a long boring part -- Name Service. Everything on the Internet has what is called an IP address. This is a set of numbers. Think of it like this: If you have ever seen a land title deed, it contains a lot of stuff like latitude and longitude, yada-yada-yada. Only Lawyers and such care about this since everyone else just uses you street address. Well the Internet almost like that, you need some computer somewhere that will translate your web site's IP address to your web site's common address name. This Name Server of Authority then tells all the other Domain Name Servers around the world about your site and how to address a stream of data to and from your site. An example, if you open a command prompt on your computer and type the Name Server lookup command: nslookup -q=A www.scrollsawer.com
      you should get a response to the IP address this site. Again, if you sign up with a web hosting company, this will be taken care of for you.

Depending on how you host your site, and your ISP, and the services provided, you may or may not have to modify your site registration with the Registrar (step 2 above) with your ISP's primary and secondary Name Server (Source-of-NS-Authority.) Then, again, depending on the services provided, you may have to edit the information on your ISP's Name service to point your domain name to the IP address assigned to your by your ISP.

5.-- Create your own web site, or hire a consultant to create and maintain it your self. (see previous posts on this thread)

6.-- load your web site onto the hosting computer. Again, you can do this your self, or hire someone to do this for you.

7.-- <only for hosting on your own computer> Load protection software to prevent the bad guys from destroying your website, or using your web site to relay other bad stuff on the Internet so you get blamed, or sent to jail. This service is included when your site is hosted by a 3rd party.

8-- And this is the most important part-- Be absolutely clear in your mind why you want a web page. Ego, Extended family tracking, business, craft selling, whatever. Be very specific and truthful. Just remember, just because you have a web site, does not mean people will find your site. Selling crafts by a web site will, for most people anyway, not break even for the cost of having the site hosted and paying for a method of money transfer on sales. You simply don't have the web site traffic to generate the sales volume.

9-- Many Internet Service Providers offer small web page space as part of your Internet connections. If your web page is small, and you have cleared your Domain name (see link to Whois above) they may help you set up a small web page. Be aware that your ISP will specify if you can use MS Front page, or another software package. But if you don't want to buy and learn the package, and then create the page, use a consultant. Check yellow pages under Computer - Internet Consultants, or some such.

Sorry this is so long, but I have covered only basics and there is much more
      (and I am sure I left something out since I am typing this so quickly.)

Phil

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X