Way Way off Topic: Any gardeners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way Way off Topic: Any gardeners

We planted this flower a couple of years ago, we thought it was a Red Poppy.
    Anyone know what it is?
    Thanks Marsha
    Hope the pic works

LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Marsha,

I think they make opium from the seeds.

Mike M
    SD Mike

Comment

WOW, I looked a little bit online, and it is very similar to the plant Mike said. Dale
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Are you guys spoofin me or what, It's not really opium! We bought it from a garden center.

Dale; what website did you find it on, I better have a look myself.

Mike; what seeds are you talkin about, do you mean the big brown pods, before the flower comes out?

Thanks
        Marsha

Comment

The opium comes from the sap they extract from the pod below the flower. Looks like it could be that type of poppy.
          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

I've looked around the internet and found this site, cause you guys really got me worried, I really don't want opium poppies growing in my yard.
            After viewing the poppies on this website, I don't think what I have is a type of poppy, my flowers don't look anythink like these ones.

http://www.poppies.org/gallery/main?&page=7

Any other ideas?
            Marsha

Comment

Marsha,

It would make sense since opium is derived from the Poppy flower.

But you are not to worry, it is legal to own poppys.
              California Poppy
              Eschscholtzia californica

California Indians cherished the poppy as both a source of food and for oil extracted from the plant. Its botanical name, Schlitz californica, was given by Adelbert Von Chamisso, a naturalist and member of the Prussian Academy of Sciences, who dropped anchor in San Francisco in 1816 in a bay surrounded by hills of the golden flowers. Also sometimes known as the flame flower, la amapola, and copa de oro (cup of gold), the poppy grows wild throughout California. It became the state flower in 1903. Every year April 6 is California Poppy Day, and Governor Wilson proclaimed May 13-18, 1996, Poppy Week.

It is illegal to own opium
              Opium is a narcoticanalgesicdrug which is obtained from the unripe seed pods of the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L. or the synonym paeoniflorum). The seed capsules also contain morphine, codeine, and other alkaloids. These pods can be steeped in water to produce a bitter tea that induces a long-lasting intoxication.
              Regards,
              Marcel
              http://marleb.com
              DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

It looks like a peony poppy to me.
                Opium poppies do not have petals like that.
                I have not heard of yellow opium flowers either. Nt that I have ever chased the Dragon before.!
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Marsha;
                  If you hadn't said you "planted" them I would have thought you had got some thistles that can be purple , yellow, rose or white.
                  Is it possible that what you planted didn't come up but thistles did? EEK ! !
                  Without seeing them up closer they sure look a lot like this
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirsium

W.Y.

Last edited by William Young (SE BC); 06-18-2006, 01:54 AM.
                  http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Hi Marsha;
                    After posting what I thought might be a thistle I went into one of my favorite gardening sites and I believe this is more realistic as to what you have there.

Centaurea macrocephala
                    Common Name: Armenian basket flower
                    Zone: 3 to 8
                    Plant Type: Herbaceous perennial
                    Family: Asteraceae
                    Height: 3 to 4 feet
                    Spread: 1.5 to 2 feet
                    Bloom Time: June - July
                    Bloom Color: Yellow
                    Sun: Full sun (only)
                    Water: Dry to medium moisture
                    Maintenance: Low
                    Bright yellow 3-4" across thistle-like flowers enclosed in glossy, light brown bracts on strong, stiff stems. Blooms for 2-3 weeks in the mid-summer. Sometimes commonly called globe centaurea or yellow hardhat. Good cut and dried flower.

I was pretty sure it wasn't a poppy.

W.Y.
                    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Well, I was browsing flower photos in the poppy style,and did notice the flower pod is very similar, but the flower itself wasnt yellow at all. I know nothing about flowers I will asdmit. I can grow a tomato, and I am good at growing dandelions, but Im no horticulturist (thats a plant person right?) I am horticulturistally smart enough to know that you never sit on a flower like the first picture Bill posted, which is actually classified as a noxious weed here. The second picture he poked up with the yellow flower might be the one. The truth is Marsha... I just dont know, so my babbling has no merit!! Dale
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Hi Marsha, I think will is right. I thought it might be the same thing i grow, which is of the artichoke globe family, which i call gardoons. spelled it roug Im sure. but the pictuers that will posted looks like it. here is mine. these start out like the artichoke plant. but grow up to 8ft tall. and get lots of these pretty globs on them. comes back every year. they are cut for dryed flowers. and last along time. your frined Evie
                        Attached Files

Comment

while we are off topic , on gardoning. guess who this is. she is a real hony after you get to know her. your frined Evie
                          Attached Files

Comment

Marsha and others,

I was just kidding that is why I put the smilies.
                            Where I grew up the farmers grew plants for opium. That was for the medical industry. These plants do not look like them at all.
                            Have fun and have a good day to all fathers.

Mike M
                            SD Mike

Comment

LOL LOL LOL Mike you are such a jokester. thats the fun thing about this forum. are frineds just keep us lauphing. but don't be sorry , i love it. always one of your best frineds. Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              Working...
                              X