Prior Experience ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Experience ?

Just out of curiosity how much experience with woodworking prior to first starting scrollsawing has everyone had, if any at all ?

carpentry, furniture, cabinets, anything at all ...

Me personally absolutely none as you can tell lol

Charlie,
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

mainly a little hobby woodworking since highschool (around 20yrs ago), nothing really 'quality', but I tried, and am still learning along the way. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

expierence

lots of desire, no experience before buying a scrollsaw. never look back toby

Comment

I'd done a fair amount of knife-cut marquetry as a hobby. In fact, I'd hoped my saw might be suitable for marquetry, but it wasn't.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Aside from shop class in high school, nothing else till I decided the scroll saw would be a useful tool to making architectural models in college.... talk about a learning curve!

Comment

Helped my Dad build a couple of boats years ago. Made lamps , ashtray stands from diamond willow , coffee tables from tree slabs,repairs around the house. We had a homemade scrollsaw that in those days only pinned blades were available but never really did anything with it.
            To bad I hadn`t kept some of the homemade power tools from my grampas and dads shop.
            Smitty
            Dewalt 788

Comment

I built furniture and such for about 20 years prior to scrolling. Had a scrollsaw in my shop for 3 years before I actually turned it on for the first time, hehehe.

Kevin
              Kevin
              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

You are not alone Charlie. I had NO prior wood experience prior to starting scrolling. Except for griping to my husband about all the sawdust he was tracking into the house and how noisy his tools were when his shop was still in the basement. That explains why I am still playing catch up in learning about wood and in learning how to use tools other than the scrollsaw.

Comment

experience

just what we did in shop in high school. i just remembered how much i enjoyed it but never did anything with wood till i came across a scroll saw one day!!! loved it ever since!!! rain man

Comment

Always been good with my hands,

But I really only started my basement shop 2 years ago. Since then, I've done a few cabinets, corner table, router table, and other small stuff.

Now, I'm a tool junkie. I read, learn and do some.

Only problem is that I don't have enough room to work comfortably in (but I'm working on a solution to that ).

Regards,
                    Marcel
                    http://marleb.com
                    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

good at least im not the only one with no prior experience fretnmore, zoozoo1 lol

Charlie,
                      Charlie
                      "Everything Happens for a Reason"
                      Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

I also had very little experience with woodworking but 14 years of experience with power operated tools. I was a machinist in the Navy for 14 years and have used everything from a simple bench grinder all the way up to a very large boring mill and everything in between both manual controlled and computer numeric controlled (CNC). I am finding out that wood and metals are not hte same when you cut them each type of wood has it's own characteristics just as each type of metal does but the similarities really end there. Now that I have discovered this craft of scroll sawing I will continue to enjoy it more and more every time I turn on the saw.

Wayne
                        You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus...Mark Twain

Comment

I learned alot about furniture refinishing from my Dad, have done a few projects of my own, both building and refinishing. I've also done a few wooden boat models.
                          Started scrollsawing to assist me in my modeling, but since doing my first scroll saw project my boat building came to a halt and its all about scrolling now.
                          I honestly dont know of anything I've done like this in my life that has brought me so much joy and a sense of accomplishment.

Bill
                          Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Dale-Toby (hard to believe)-Gill-Tonie-Smitty-Kevin(that blew me away)-Pat(for sure I think you have, you make some mean sawdust.you know I am one of your groopies )-Rainman-Marcel-and Wayne. I am so surprised. I would have thought you was wood masters from birth. I could only wish to be as good as some or all of you. my self. I have been puppy dogging woodworkers for ever.I wish Moon would post on this thread. he has done everything. I have been drulling over victorian woodwork.Toys, and anything out of wood as long as I can remmeber. and wonting to do anything from wood. I have only been scrolling seriosly for I think 2 and a half years. but have been in constucktion for may be 30 years. I started out cutting things out with a hand scroll saw or a saber saw. scabbing wood off of constucktin sights. and just wished and dreamed of someday owning my own scroll saw. now I do.,,, but I have done fraiming. roofing.siding. flooring. cabnet, helper. and all the constucktion stuff. my Dad could build anything. and I wonted to be just like him. and now I am. good habits and Bad, lol. I just love wood and what it offers the craftsmon. I can hang a piece of burl on the wall and drull over its majestry for ever. what can i say. I just love it. your friend Evie Bill you came in after my post. but i wont to recanize you too. now that blue me away. lol
                            Last edited by minowevie; 05-28-2006, 07:50 PM.

Comment

The only "experience" I had was that I've been woodcarving a bit for about 13 years. Originally I got my first (and , actually, the second, too) scroll saw to cut out small carving blanks. I still do lots of that, but now that I have a really good saw, I've also discovered some of the really neat things that a scroll saw can do like no other tool. I'm hooked on both carving and scrolling now. And I'm beginning to yearn for a lot of other tools, like a planer and a bandsaw good enough for resawing - oh, and one of those drum sanders, and maybe one of those - are they called reciprocating sanders? - the ones with a cylinder that turns and goes up and down at the same time- and .....
                              Sandy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X