Your favorite carving tool or knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite carving tool or knife?

My favorite tool is my carving knife. I made it from an old hacksaw blade that is carbon steel. What's your favorite type of tool that you do most of your carving with?
    Have fun with your food, eat with your fingers!

Re: Your favorite carving tool or knife?

My Whittlin' Jack bench knife, followed by a three bladed Camilus whittler's knife.

Al

Comment

On hardwood - AIR HAMMER

Other then that my Flexcut knives
      My Site Missouri Ozarks

Comment

My favorite is the knives made by Herb Dunkel from VA. I have many carving knives in my collection however, Herb has the best edge geometry and heat treatment I have ever experienced. His HP (high point) blade design allows taking a curved cut (concave) in wood and leaves a polished surface.

Naturally I use Yellowstone to strop the blades and maintain that fantastic tough edge.

Regards,
        Fred Krow

Comment

Fred, here you say you use yellow abrasive (naturally), but on the post on strops, you say you use the green stuff from Lee Valley. Is this the same grade by different mfgs?

Al

Comment

My 'go to' tool is a generic German bench knife. It was the first actual carving tool I ever owned. My sister did a little carving years ago and gave me her knife when she saw a ball-in-cage and chain I whittled with my trusty Imperial Stockman.

Though I have made some good knives I still find that this one knife finds its way into my hand 99% of the time.

Comment

I typically find that for finish work, I use a 1 3/4' hand made bench knife with a high carbon steel blade because of the control it offers. Besides, I have big hands and it is difficult to find a knife that fits.

I am also becoming a real fan of using a large v-tool because of the versitility it offers. Not only can you carve a v at any angle, but you also have two individual cutting edges to work with. I got mine from LittleShavers.com and it was shipped super sharp. All I've had to do so far is strop it from time to time.

Dart, how good does the hacksaw blade keep an edge and do you have to re heat treat once you are done?

-Michael

Comment

Michael--I know what the problems you have with hands, as I also have huge paws (size 18 ring). Most of my tools from a carry along Swiss Army Knife to bench tools are wrapped with a piece of garden hose so that the hands dont cramp. I carve alot while sitting on a rock or picnic table while on a hike. I guess that my favorite would be a modified Swiss Army knife. The knives and gouges that I make for the bench, are made to any thickness that fits.
                Be Safe-Have Fun-Experiment-Smokey&&http://groups.msn.com/SmokeysCarvings/shoebox.msnw

Comment

Re: Really dont have one

Really dont have a favorite I have hundreds of gouges and knifes but I cant really say I have a favorite. Each one has its own place, the right tool for the right job I always say. You never know when you are going to use certain tools but then a situation comes up and it is just what you need.
                  Thats why I have so many tools (thats what I tell my good woman)
                  Colin

Comment

(how good does the hacksaw blade keep an edge and do you have to re heat treat once you are done?) I use a homemade grinding wheel on a slow motor, about 1700 rpms or less? I use my finger to test the heat from the friction of the steel on the wheel. If the steel begins to heat up, I dunk it in water. I take my time and go slow so I don't have to re heat treat the steel. This particular piece of hacksaw blade steel has been laying around here for many years. It says 'Germany' on the blade. It will rust. It is very hard, but has some springiness to it. I did break it by trying to center punch it to drill a hole in it for a rivet. The blade is now about an inch and a half long. I had to regrind it to fit into an Xacto handle again being careful not to heat up the steel. It still works great although I liked the wooden handle I had made for it. I am going to get the thinner handled Xacto knife handle and make a wooden handle to fit my hand and insert the whole Xacto handle into the wooden handle and use some screws to hold it together. I still have the last piece of steel that I broke off the blade and will also do the same with it for another knife made the same way. I wish I had more of this kind of steel. Probably very high carbon with some spring to it. One of the other little knives I like to use a lot is one I got several years ago from a dental supply store. It take an edge and holds it well and is comfortable to use. It was listed in the catalog as a 'bench knife'. It has a wooden handle and a sheepsfoot blade, flat ground and the blade is one and a quarter inches long. That's my number two favorite knife.
                    Have fun with your food, eat with your fingers!

Comment

Favorite knife is homemade from an old straight razor. Received as a gift so don't ask me how it was made. Sorry.

Comment

I have two pocket knives, a Case 3 blade and a Boker 3 bladed knife that I like to carry. One is with me at all times. Straight bladed isa Helvie knife. I know many don't care for them but I have no problem with them.
                        As you can tell by the various post there are variuos kinds of knives that are the carver's favorite knife.
                        Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

AlArchie,

The Yellowstone is a dry stick of material, similar to chalk. It is scraped off with a knife onto the strop in powder form. I believe it is Aluminum Oxide with a peach colored dye, it was yellow dye hence the name.

The LV Green Chormium Oxide is in a wax binder and has advantages for rotating felt or leather wheels, It also works fine on flat leather strops. This is similar to writing with a crayon when applied to strop material.

The results are very much the same from both materials.

Regards,
                          Fred

Comment

Thanks, Fred, I was just wondering on the difference. Mostly I use red jewelers' rouge both on the felt wheel and hand strop. Haven't tried the others, mostly because they aren't available here.

Al

Comment

Al, I use the red jeweler's rouge also but have started using the Flexcut Yellow on a new strop. Both work great and I haven't seen much difference if any. But I agree, thanks Fred for the info. Nothing like new info to an old craft.

BTW, Enjoy your trip to Phillmont. You lucky guy.
                              Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X