scroll saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scroll saw

thinking about getting a new saw,i have a 16 inch trade master any suggestions on what is the best saw to buy
    here is a link to my ablum take a look

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h178/georgeanneapril/

Originally posted by georgeanne
    thinking about getting a new saw,i have a 16 inch trade master any suggestions on what is the best saw to buy
    Hi georgeanne. I have a 18" Hegner. love it. but it is a high $$$$ saw. good luck. your friend Evie

Comment

Georgeanne,
      I have a Delta p-20(mid range saw) It just depends what price range
      you are looking at, High end saws are worth the money if you can afford them, I could not justify one so that is why I bought my particular saw. There are a lot of good saws to choose from most from this forum use the dewalt 788,the p-20 is not as popular but compares to the dewalt.
      Good luck,
      Bill
      Delta P-20

Comment

Hi Georgeanne
        I have a DeWalt 788 and an old Delta Q3..like them both

Comment

Georgeanne,
          Since you are looking to grade up, at the bare minimum I would look for easy tool-less blade change and a saw that accepts plain end blades. After that, as you move up the price scale, you get less vibration, deeper throat depth, variable speed, various other "bells and whistles", and perhaps the ability to cut thicker stock, so how far you go would depend somewhat on what sorts of projects you see yourself doing during the life of your saw. Some people have saws retailing for less than $200 USD and they produce beautiful projects. A really top end saw can cost $2000 or even more. The DeWalt and one of the Deltas are $450-500 ( and quite good for the price), and several really excellent saws are in the $900 - $1200 category. Depending on your budget, get the best you can afford, (ok - maybe just a little better) and then learn to use it well.
          If you tell us your parameters, I'm sure we won't hold back about what we think is the best saw for yer $$.
          And then we'll help you get the most from it!
          Good luck in your search.
          Sandy
          PS I have a 20" RBI Hawk and I love it.

Comment

Well since you are in Canada and you are upgrading, it would be good to know what type of scrolling interests you, and what price range you are looking at.

By now you know three key points in choosing a saw are, cost, tool less blade change, variable speed and minimum vibration. Not necessarily in that order.

I do not know what the price differences are on the Rock but there is still a sizable difference between US prices and Canadian prices on saws here. Even though there is really only 10% difference in the dollar.

I have seen the Dewalt 788 for $450 here in BC.... 20 inches
            The Delta SS250 for $125.... 16 inches
            The Ryobi 18VS for just over $300 including taxes..... 18 inches
            All have tool less blade changes.

Honestly the vibration tends to increase as the price decreases.
            I guess it depends how much you will be using your saw and how much you want to spend.

I have used all three saws, Each has pros and cons, If you can, Try before you buy. Look for local scrollers, and see if you can use their saws.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by gmascroller
              I have a DeWalt 788 and an old Delta Q3..like them both
              I have a P-20 and the old Q-3. I still like to use the Q3

Bob
              Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Thebest saw you can buy.... its the one you most can afford, that accepts plain end blades easily, easy control locations minimal vibration, and a decent dust claring system. your price range will determine a lot, then go from there. Dale
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                  The bags seem easier on the surface.
                  But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                  Today, 03:24 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                  Today, 10:32 AM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                  Today, 09:46 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by NC Scroller
                  I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                  Today, 07:42 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  by NC Scroller
                  I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                  Today, 07:39 AM
                Working...
                X