Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Storage/Work area

Hello all,

I was wondering what you folks use for tool storage and work areas. So far, I use a cardboard box for my tools and sit on our front porch most of the time to carve. The tools are individually stored in plastic bags and put in the box so they don't bang around.

So far, I'm doing small carvings in the round that I can hold. I'm pleased to be able to sit outside during our all too short summers but I could use a better holder than the cardboard box. Come late fall, I'll need to set up an indoor space to work. So far I've only got 1/2 a dozen tools counting knives but I've also got a couple of strops, and a flexistrop, a couple different kinds of stropping compound. I suppose I could get a tool roll. Does anybody have any other suggestions? I'm hoping to pick up a few more tools at the carving show in Morrisville on the 21st. Who knows, maybe I'll pick up some storage ideas there too.

Anybody have any storage area or workspace ideas that they'd like to share? ??? Pictures or drawings are always good! I don't imagine I'll copy one verbatum, but rather combine ideas with my own preferences. I'm open to suggestions as well as what to look for in ideas I come up with on my own. You know, dos and don't of tool storage and workspaces.

One thought that I had is to get a wooden case and line it with foam padding and strap the tools in.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

mikeg
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeeeill/

Re: Tool Storage/Work area

Still nothing fancy, here, Mike. I have a large fishing tackle box with all the little compartments. I put my knives, chisles, gouges etc in there. I protect the edges by slipping plastic tubing of various sizes over the edges and blades. works very well for most stuff. I have another tool box (Plastic) for the larger gouges. Same setup to protect the edges...just bigger tubing.

Al

Comment

Mike,
      I've got my gouges in a tool roll, then that and all the other knik-knaks go in a tool bag from SEARS. It has a hard plastic bottom and nylon sides and zipper on the top. Works great! Pockets inside and out. When I bring it to work to carve on my lunch hour people call me 'Doc'.

Rick

Comment

I have a plastic fishing box also, fairly large however. I had some sketches I made of a tool box I saw at a carving show, that was pretty neat, however, don't know where the sketches are now....good question, maybe some here have some plans or sketches

Comment

I have a great big box with all kinds of compartments it has a handle and wheels and is just great for my projects. My only problem is that I am not organized, not that I dont want to be I would love to be organized but I get so wrapped up in what I am carving that all the tools end up in the top of the box and very seldom do I cover the cutting edge. That is probably why I spend a lot of my time putting the edge back on my tools. Not that it is a problem but it is time consuming. Never the less no matter what I am working on I end up the same way. Oh well so be it I am happy and sharpenign and honing tools is very therapudic.
          Colin

Comment

I managed to save a dresser my wife was throwing out and put it in the garage. I am using it to store some of my smaller power tools and carving supplies and I gutted out an old console TV which I can mount my table saw or router table on top of and store other supplies underneath. I better not see one toy or Christmas decoration stashed there. We must preserve some territorial rights.
            Humor Heals

Comment

Darn! We're supposed to have territorial rights??!!?!!?? I wish somebody had told my wife before we bought our house!

Seriously, a tackle box sounds pretty handy. I hadn't thought about that. I may have to look into one. I'm going to a carving show next weekend though so I'll hold off until after that and see if I can pick up any ideas there.

Al mentioned using plastic tubing to protect the tools, what do the rest of you use?
              http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeeeill/

Comment

I was using plastic tubes (still have some), have tried 'showcard' folded and wrapped with duct tape, you name it...the latest and I like it best is either take 1/8 scrollsaw plywood, cut out slightly larger than blade two pieces, cut a third that is just the outside perimeter and glue the 3 pieces together.....I have done that and is ok, but the finishing touch is to put a piece of that rubberized magnetic sign stuff inside, there is just enough hold to keep the holder on the blade...works great....I put this on tips on the wood forum, but no one even looked at it! ha ha..they must already have the ultimate edge protector! LOL (oh, forgot to mention, I also took some 1/4 inch basswood, sawed in half length wise and hollowed out enough for the blade in both halves...it also makes a great protector but again is better with the rubber magnetic sign stuff...a plus is that you can chip carve or carve a wood fellow on the cover! :P

Comment

I use several types of storage. One I take with me is a RubberMaid tool bag and has hard plastic bottom and canves waterproof sides. Has 15 places on each inside for gouges and knives. Outside pockets for rifflers and sandpaper/steelwool, etc. At home I have a cabinet which isn't big enough for other tools. I work out of the RubberMaid bag at home also. Nothing fancy but workable.
                  Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Good question Mikeg,

In my shop in my basement I have a big old oak desk. The center drawer in low and wide and deep, so it holds all my cutting tools, gouges, chisels, knives, etc, and I have it lined with old carpet. The drawers to the left and right hold, everything else: drawings, sharpening stones, leather honing straps, sandpaper, etc.

I also have a mobile tool chest, in the form of an old 'silver chest' designed for knives, forks and spoons, all velvet lined, and perfect for the ready use tools that I'll need when travelling or at the display. Have a little tray built into it for small stuff and under the tray is space for wood. A couple of wood screws into the outside at each side, wrapped with brass rabbit wire, keeps it tightly closed when I'm travelling. So nothing bounces around inside.

Been using plastic snap lid leftover trays for wood and some blanks that I have cut out on the scrollsaw, and other odds and ends. They work well and they are cheap.

Like reading other folks replies, gives me some more ideas for solutions for organizing.

Bob

Comment

The tackle box sounds like it would work great for the smaller tools, I might try that myself. I have tool rolls that my wife made for me from some heavy canvas. I use these when I travel. When at home I have a wooden rack that I made. It is attached to my bench and keeps all the tools in easy reach. Lot of neat storage ideas in the carving mags too. Have fun, carve. oldbearx2
                      http://picturetrail.com/oldbearx2

Comment

becauseof my life style travelling in an R.V. i store all my supplies in a large tool box(approx 9x12x20) with plastic storage lids in the cover.my knives &chisels are stored in individual plastic boxes inside the tool box,wood and cutouts are kept in a rubbermaid plastic box.I protect the sharp ends of the knives & chisels with plastic tubing or little blade protectors i make out of small scraps of wood which i carve.

Comment

Jamesfa,
                          Are your protecters carve with animals on them or just cared to fit your blades?
                          Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

kenny-s
                            my protectors are carved,but as with every thing i look at the scraps of wood until i see something.the scraps are usually the pieces left when i cut out a blank.
                            see my picture trail album for a few i have posted.

Comment

I looked at your site james...I like your duck! also liked the stylized moose lol...as for the dulcimer, I have been looking at a kit to build one of those...is yours a kit or did you build it from scratch? http://www.folkofthewood.com site has lessons on how to play about any string instrument including dulcimers

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X