Router Bush Clearance Online Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Bush Clearance Online Calculator

Those of you who use routers might be interested in this online calculator by Trend for working out router bush clearances.

It works with both Metric and Imperial and converts from one to another. It even warns when the clearance between a guide bush and cutter is too small to allow proper chip clearance.

The page can be saved for offline use as a web archive, compacting into a single file.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

That's a nice site Thanks Gill.
    BTW How far are you from Sudbury in Suffolk? We have some good friends that live there.
    MinotBob
    Makita MSJ-401
    Universal Tools:
    Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

Comment

Hi Bob

I'm just over 150 miles away from Sudbury. It's not a part of the country that I know at all.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

router brush guide

Gill,

maybe you can answer this one...

couple years ago i bought a vermont american dovetail jig. and still havent used it becuse its a hidden or blind dovetail jig.

it has a plastic comb like thing that guides the router or a pattern i think its called,

its set up like the craftsman or others that are made of metal. although the fingers are 1/2" wide and 1/2" space between

it calls for a 1/2 bushing collar guide and a 1/2 " dovetail bit...

the way it sets up is 1/2 pin offset and both pin and pocket are both made at same time.

i have 2 routers,
        the bit dont set center of the bushing. when mounted in ether router,
        i dont want to wreck a bit and bushing at the same time,
        the bit wont center and there is no way to center the bit as to any adjustment i can see, i even bought the vermont american accessory base to see if that had an adjustment but no dice....

so im stuck without dovetail capabilitys...

the bushing leingth is the same as the thickness as the guide. and the dovetail bit is long enough to make both cuts at the same time, without the bit hitting thre guide while cutting,,, but being off center im wondering if it would just be a waste of time to set up the jig before i can adjust the bit center of the guide bush
        Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

Hi Thomp

How on earth did you achieve the rank of "Master Procrastinator"? I like it !

When using router bits with guide bushes, the first step is to ensure that the guide bush is fitted centrally around the router spindle. My Trend routers came supplied with shank line-up pins which do this and it's possible to buy sub-base kits from Trend which contain a sub-base, line-up pin and guide bush. Of course, once you've got the base and guide bush lined up for one type of guide bush, you can simply swap the bush for any other type.

I don't know if these kits are available from retailers on your side of the Pond, but it may be worth hunting round for them. I've found a shank line-up pin here at Rockler which might be useful.

If you're able to centre your guide bush and the problem with your dovetail bit remains, then the bit must be faulty and out of alignment. If it is, you'll need to replace it.

Hope this helps

Gill

Comment

Here is a TrendUSA web site.
            MinotBob
            Makita MSJ-401
            Universal Tools:
            Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

Comment

Gill,

the rank can be reset to what you want in your user cp, edit options

Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members.

after you have been a member so long or you have achieved a number of posts, theres a trigger that turns on this option,
              i had to get BobD to fix mine here in the scrollshop fourm, as im a member of the carving fourms and i achieved whatever it took to unlock it first on that fourm first,
              "Master Procrastinator" becuse of my phicisal weight stress limit since bypass sergery was set at 20 pounds lifting capasity so i Procrastenate over how to accomplish tasks accordingly i usualy wind up taking a nap, guess i could have set it to "master napper"
              _____
              I looked at the universal base on the site, like i said the base on the skill router i have which is a dead ringer for the trend router they show on the home page, the router is set up to except the base, but the base isent adjustable, its got 50 holes in it for diffrent router screw patterns but none are slotted which could help in this adjustment,

i have often thought of centering the base with a centering spendle and just glue it on the base of the router with some e6000 or liquid nails, but that would make repairing the router impossible.

i didnt know that if i ran this collar bush like it was with the dovetail bit if it would cause any problems, becuse the offset is on the same side, the router baseand the base dont get turned during the operation of dovetailing, and the dovetail bit dont get retracted through the bush during the operation would it still work?

the tolorance should be zero and centered the opening i know, but the router base casting is off center 1/64 to 1/32 inch on one router..

I know the remedy is to go out and purchase a whole new setup but i dont have the need or $400.oo for such name brand, porter cable or bosch tool that will get only one or 2 uses a year...
              still i do have the need for storage area for all the clutter assoiated with hobbies.?
              and since i already have 2 routers i was hunting a remedy to enable using what i have...

Comment

Hi Thomp

Does your router have the facility to screw a false base to it? If so, you could make a false base out of acrylic or MDF and screw it in place. Then plunge the router to cut a hole that's the same diameter as your line-up pin in the false base. Put the line-up pin in the router, then plunge it. Whilst it's plunged, put your guide bush on it and screw the guide bush into position.

If I've explained the process correctly, that should give you a detachable, accurately set up sub-base. If not, let me know and I'll try to think of another way around the problem.

Gill

Comment

will have to see if i got all i need to do that,
                  i know i got mdf, but maybe temper board being thinner might work better becuse the bush bushing is short as i remember it just bairly enough to fit through the template,

ill experiment with your idea when i get time, thanks for the work around...gill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X