Electrical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Question

Ok, I know things running on an extention cord are not getting the full amount of juice they need, the longer the cord, the larger the drop in amperage. My question is,what about something plugged directly into a socket on the wall that is a long ways away from the circuit breaker? Does that wiring have the same type of effect, and if not, why? Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Sure Fire Circit Tester -Texas Style--

I don't have a answer for you on your question but I can tell you how to feel the difference in the voltage of a short distance or a long one--
    First off you need to get into Grannys Medicanal cough syrup- She keeps it in a mason jar ( usually Hidden) and take a few good gulps of this -It is for the cough you are going to get--later

Second --scrape off all the cow piles on the bottom of your bare feet- don't forget betwrrn the toes - cow piles will not conduct elleystricity --
    Put a puttle of liquid under your feet - doing this now saves the embarrasment later of wetting your pants-

Now stick your tounge to the circit ---

Ohhh Darn you were suppose to have spit out that chaw--not swallow it - well to late now--

Now measure the distance the current threw you ---

Okay now put the cord in the circit holey thingy ---once that is done take another swig of Grannys shine -- er I mean cough syrup -
    don't swallow to hard now cause you want to have a little moisture in yer mouth -- bite down on the cord--
    Now measure the distance that threw you - don't cheat measure from the end of the cord here not the circit-
    Now go to the horse and tell her the numbers you got and she will stomp out the answer with her feets-- right one is fer adding the left is fer subtratshuns--
    This is the best way to tell how much difference there is in if voltage lessens when traveling threw wire- Hopes it helps -- snicker snicker

Sharon

Comment

Not "positive" Dale, but I believe it has to do with the size or guage of the wire.

Just wanted to post here to say "hi" to Sharon and to let her know she made me waste a perfectly good Budweiser as I spewed it all over my computer reading her advice LOL. Good to hear from you, ma'am!
      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I am also not an electrician but I have been shocked a time or to . What happens in the case of extension cords is you have now lengthened the path at which the electricy has to go and have now built up more resistance. If you go to far with not the right size cable (guage size) it build's up to much resistance and trip's the circuit. So in the case of extenson cord's the farther you go the thicker or heavier guage cord you need to use (the bigger the cable, the less resistance). So yes to answer your question, something plugged into a wall socket, but the cord on it is long, is the same principle, to much resistance. Wireing is rated for a certain distance, I should say wire size (guage) so if you lengthen that distance by plugging a cord into a wall outlet and the cord you plugged in is say fifty feet long it is the same diffrence as using an extension.

Hopefully I didnt get you more confussed then you already were!

Comment

It all has to do with the amperage capability the cord or wire is capable of carrying.

as i was told by an electrician,

i built a pole barn for a shop, my bench grinder wouldnt run on a 50 foot 8awg chord i was using for my shop. the electrician got me to buy a roll of wiring for a 220 volt circut and wired it into the circut box with a 30 amp breaker and everything in the shop runs properly raidal saw grinder drillpress ect...

but the extention cord even it being a heavy duty cord couldnt cut the mustard.
          the electrician said it was a wonder i hadent started a fire.
          Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

You should ask Neal Moore this question. He is an old Navy electrician-type and can probably answer better than most of us.
            Moon
            Old Mooner

Comment

Extension cords

It definitely depends on the gauge of the wire. Extension cords tend to be 18 gauge (the bigger the number the smaller the wire) most household circuits are 14. When I wired my shop I ran all 12-gauge wire. There are formulas for all of this with recommendations for distance load etc. Check out this site
              http://www.securityideas.com/howtocalvold.html
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Neil might be waiting for all of us to posit an answer and then come in with the right answer.
                Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

Hi Dale I agree. the smaller # the wire the more voltadg you get. but if you put a small wire then a larger wire . then a even larger wire. you wil be in troubale.
                  like a water hose. if you put a large hose then a smaller hose then a smaller hose , you wil lose valuem. that would be in water. but in electick
                  then you will be in a fire haszerd.

I ran a 8 cadge wire down to my shop. that will hold most the voltidge you would wont. and if you wont to weld. maybe you would wont a # 6. I also put a electic sercut. box. to seperate the voltadg to separate things. that way you have a sercute bracker. Dont for get you are still running off the house curant. it still only holds so much. like 220. so you still have stuff running in your house. like Ice box. and TVs. so on so on. I know confusing. your friend Evie someday I'll learn how to spell. lol

Comment

I am still confused. Will a drill recieve the same power if plugged into an outlet that is directly wired using 100 feet of wiring, as compared to a drill on a 75 foot extension cord, plugged into an outlet wired with 25 feet of wiring from the circuit panel, providing it is all wired with 12 guage wire, and extension cord of 12 guage??????????????
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

The drill will always recieve the same power, no matter what guage wire is used, The differenece is some of the power is converted to heat along the cord.
                      The thinner the wire the less efficient it is.
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Lucky788:
                        Now that you have better defined your actual question and gave wire lengths and wire gauges the answer is yes it will receive the same power.

12 gauge wire is rated to handle up to 20 amps. max. A 20 amp circuit breaker should be used for this circuit.

Since you are powering a drill (in your example), which may take say 3 to 5 amps to run, this is well within the 20 amp rating of 12 gauge wire. All wire has a certain amout of resistive value to it and it is this resistance that will cause a voltage drop (if you are really sucking all 20 amps) if measered at the panel and at a device a long distance away. In your case this votage drop will be very negligable because the resistance of 12 gauge wire is extremely low so for all intents and purposes you should get the same voltage at the end of the 100 feet with virtually no voltage drop when using the low amperage drill.

This response should suffice for you example, but if you are planning on building a shop 100 ft from the breaker panel you may want to do a listing of machinery and current draw and have the electical system properly designed by an electrician who understands power distribution.

Bob
                        Scrolling satisfies the passion for intricate creativity. My saw is an Excalibur EX21.

Comment

Thank you Bob. I cant afford a new shop, and yes, the drill was for example purposes. It was just something I have always wondered about after hearing so many times about not using a long extention cord if only a short one is needed. Also, I have heard to never have the cord coiled up while using it, something about the way the juice can jump or something. Thanks for your help. dale
                          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Dale:
                            Jumping juice - that is a new electrical term! We all use extension cords for many things like relocating that 100 watt lamp in the living room to powering motors for equipment. When using extension cords for equipment/machinery, that draw a large number of amps, ensure one uses an extension with the proper size wire to handle the amperage. This simply supports the comments in previous posts that state that the lower the number of wire gauge (bigger wire) the more amps it can effectively carry without overheating etc.

As for jumping juice - I for one have a number of extension cords - some I bought and some I made by buying the correct gauge and type of wire and attaching the 3 prong male/female plugs. If a quality cable is used there should be no problem leaving an unused length loosely coiled up. As for jumping juice I expect this could occur if there is a splice made somewhere along the cable that has been over flexed with time and the soldered/taped connection wears down and touches another wire. Also if an extension cord has been used for somethinmg that required more amps than the cable is rated for, the rubber insulation will heat up and break down over time. As it breaks down it will begin to crack and expose the bare wiring. This could cause arching. Both of these examples will cause a short circuit and "juice will jump" until the breaker trips.

Work safely
                            Bob
                            Scrolling satisfies the passion for intricate creativity. My saw is an Excalibur EX21.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X