I Cant Cut It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Cant Cut It

Has Anyone Ever Come Across A Piece Of Wood That You Just Could Not Cut ? This Is A Piece Of Maple Burl Out Of California And It Is The Most Beautiful Piece Of Wood I Have Ever Come Across And I've Been Scrolling For About 16 Yrs. Now. The Colors Are So Eye Catching It Just Amazes You To Look At It . Every Time I Do I See Something Different In It. I Had Intended To Scroll A Brown Trout In It But I Just Cant Do It. Cost Me A Good Penny Too !!! Lol Maybe I'll Just Hang ItON THE WALL AS IS.
    Rainman
    Last edited by Rainman2014; 04-18-2006, 09:27 AM. Reason: SPELLING

Listen to the Force young Padawan

He he rainman,

How long have you had that particular piece of wood? (And what size is it?)

However long, it seems it hasn't learned to talk to you yet. Be assured that it will tell you what it want's to be in it's good time. On the other hand, you have to sit down once in a while and just listen to what it may be trying to say.

Put it in sight, look at it often, don't be in a rush to do anything with it, it will come by itself. Could take a week, could take years. The end result will justify the wait.

Zenly,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

My dad gave me a chunk of soapstone for Christmas...and it's in my office staring at me. I'm still waiting to see what is in it!

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Hay Rain Man I am jelouse. is that a word. lol. I wonder , have you just got it. has it weatherd at all. a burr is a hard wood. thats where all the nutriants. have gathered. an so it is the hardist wood of the tree. how have you sliced it. did you use a chain saw. or how did you cut a piece to begen with? you ;must have cut a piece small enouph to cut on your scroll saw. the one thing I would sugjest. is that a word. is let it set for a while. maybe even rap it with some baggies. or plactic rap. just to help it from splitting. and watch it for awhile. don't let it mold on you. take the rap off sometimes to let it air. here is a picture of a burr we cut into a bowl. good luck sounds like you have a gold mine. your friend Evie ps I am from calif.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
          My dad gave me a chunk of soapstone for Christmas...and it's in my office staring at me. I'm still waiting to see what is in it!

Bob
          Bob soap stone is a great tool. it is to mark things with. like chak. we find it in are deseart. you can cut it down to size. like a pinsul. or what ever. an mark on wood or metale. your friend Evei

Comment

Here is a piece I got. about 1 and half inches thick and very hard. From Northern California. It took 27 FD Blades to finish but I think is was worth the effort.

Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
            Jean De La Bruyere...

l
            Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Who says it has to be cut at all -- For evry time you see it there is something different in it -- I would leave it to where I could just look at it and not bother with trying to figure out what it wants to be-- It may be trying to tell you it is more beauty in it just as God had made it..Leave it alone and admire it for its own beauty. Thats my opion and we all know it isn't worth much - but I wouldn't cut it at all--just give it a special place on its own base and admire it
              Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckD
                Here is a piece I got. about 1 and half inches thick and very hard. From Northern California. It took 27 FD Blades to finish but I think is was worth the effort.

WOW Chuck. that is soooooooooooo beautifule. wow what happened to the rest of the burr. are you saveing it. Wow. thats my kind of wood. Gosh

Comment

Originally posted by SharonW0111
                  Who says it has to be cut at all -- For evry time you see it there is something different in it -- I would leave it to where I could just look at it and not bother with trying to figure out what it wants to be-- It may be trying to tell you it is more beauty in it just as God had made it..Leave it alone and admire it for its own beauty. Thats my opion and we all know it isn't worth much - but I wouldn't cut it at all--just give it a special place on its own base and admire it
                  Sharon
                  Sharon. you are so right. that is so beautiful all alone. nothing we could do would make it more. your friend Evie

Comment

Drill a hole and stick a clock in it. Hang it on the wall and admire your work.

Comment

I Still Cant Cut It---lol

Thanks For The Input Guys. I Have Had About 6 pieces of this for about a year letting it dry. Chuck, that is a bueatiful piece of work and wood. This piece has burl, flames, red color, creme, and brown in it. I'm going to get set up so I can put pictures on here to show. as to the question of size, it is 26" long and 15" high and 3/4 inch thick. the other 5 pieces are even bigger but just not quite as sweet. off topic--I hope I am not breaking any rules, but look into jeff z's site to see the two free patterns. I blew up the leapoard patter 50% and I'm going to use one of the burl pieces to do it in. thanks again, rain man
                      Last edited by Rainman2014; 04-19-2006, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I need to let my husband read this thread. Everytime I tell him I "see" something in the wood, he looks at me like I lost a few marbles!! I once told him I was an artist and the wood was my pallet! Boy, he really thought I lost it that time. Glad I'm not alone!!!!!
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I sooooo agree treash. hubbys just don't know untill we get some uuuuu aaaaaaas out of it. then they take the critit. HA HA I'll get some skuff over this I'm sure. oh but it was so good to say do I dare .Ya your friend Evie

Comment

Originally posted by will8989
                            I need to let my husband read this thread. Everytime I tell him I "see" something in the wood, he looks at me like I lost a few marbles!! I once told him I was an artist and the wood was my pallet! Boy, he really thought I lost it that time. Glad I'm not alone!!!!!

You are an artist! Don't ever let anyone tell you different. We see things differently than the rest of the world, at least I know I do. I know I'm an artist, but work as a secretary to fund my habit (wood).

I don't know if any of you know who Chip Foose is. He's the designer on the show Overhaulin' where they redo classic cars. His work in incredible. I want to be just like him when I grow up, but I want to make my creations out of wood, just on a smaller scale. You don't have to be an artist in the traditional paint/canvas sense. Anything can be your canvas. I see and feel things in a piece of wood all the time. I know I'm crazy, but it adds to the creative process.
                            Kelly
                            "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X