Damascus Knives (for you tool makers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damascus Knives (for you tool makers)

I know nothing about tool making but the new edition (June 2003, Vol 64, Issue 6) of Missouri Conservationist magazine arrived today and it contains a great article on hand forging Damascus steel knives. I checked the magazine's site http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/conmag/
    and it's still showing last month's edition, but should change soon. The article has some beautiful photos but I couldn't understand a word.

Re: Damascus Knives (for you tool makers)

I actually have a Damascus carving knife. Unfortunately, Damascus does not work well for carving due to the layers dragging on the wood. Also, when you sharpen Damascus, you lose some of that beautiful layered look.

Comment

Based on my discussions with knife makers and reading I have learned a little. Some use old guy wire like for power poles. It is built up in the forge by folding over numerous times the molten steel. It was used in early shot gun barrels. Very preety and collectable. I agree as a funtional tool it would be hard to maintain. Note, I do not own one so I am not sure about how they would work in real life. Ask to try before you buy if at a show.

Comment

http://www.atar.com .

Comment

Cap't.
          Here are a couple sites you might find interesting, (Tom is my nephew).
          I taught him everything I know about knifemaking and it didn't even slow him down. He quit a 100,000.00 a year job to be a knifemaker; I think he made the right decision.
          http://www.bladegallery.com/knives/m...play=Tom+Ferry
          http://www.knifeart.com/timchucbyb.html

Comment

WOW! Rick, your nephew makes some incredible knives! And he only has to sell two of those $1000 knives per week to equal his previous salary! Hope he does even better!

Comment

I saw a knife-maker in a show last summer, and his specialty was Damascus knives. He also made conventional carving knives. He was a typical carver, and took a lot of time to explain how he made the knives. You can buy the blanks and make your own; knid of pricey but not outrageous. Now I'm going to have to dig up the brochure he gave me on the knives and buying the blanks. BTW, he didn't even pretend to use the Damascus knives for carving, as Cap'n noted. Pretty to look at, but no fun for carving.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
                Reply to Winter issue
                by Bill Wilson
                I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
                Today, 02:49 PM
              • Bill Wilson
                Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                by Bill Wilson
                Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
                Today, 02:13 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                by will8989
                Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
                Today, 01:57 PM
              • Don in Brooklin On
                Virtual Wood Show
                by Don in Brooklin On
                Due to Covid-19 all events in Ontario have been cancelled including the Wood Show in Toronto. It was a great event but this year it is going to go virtual.

They will have a number of seminars and the ability to tour vendor sites. Not sure how it all works. It will be FREE but you can pay...
                Today, 12:56 PM
              • cwmagee
                Reply to Winter issue
                by cwmagee
                Got mine yesterday. Regarding Christmas Items I seem to recall a few years ago that they moved up the Holiday related items to the Fall Issue to give us more time to make.

It was great to see all of the variety of designs and contributors available...
                Today, 12:09 PM
              Working...
              X