Carvers Drawknife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvers Drawknife

I just posted a picture on picturetrail of the finished drawknife I made last week.( http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...amp;uid=731540

Re: Carvers Drawknife

There you go, getting the forging juices flowing. Trying to stay on course with carving and here you post about a drawknife.

Actually Cap'n it is a great looking drawknife and you should be proud of the finish resolutes. Now you have another sideline. You will never be bored in your retirement years.

Thanks for the picture and your help

Kenny S
    Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Great job, Capt!! I wonder....is it a 'guy thing' to venture off into making one's own tools, or do women carvers get into that, too? The thought would never cross my mind :-)

Teri
      "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

Very nice job on the draw knife, I wonder if a car leaf spring would work?? I have several spoke shaves, but this is much nicer.

steve

Comment

Very nice work Captain. Makes me want to go buy some fire bricks and scrounge up a blower, a piece of RR track, some springs, and a big bag of coal.

Comment

Cap't.
            Very well done! If you straightened the handles a bit, it might fit into my Christmas stocking.

Comment

Captain, How do you find the time to do both forge and carve???

Comment

Captain, I forgot to tell you great job. You do great work!! Sorry I forgot

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words. Yes, I suppose it is a 'guy thing' to make tools. And, yes, a leaf spring would work very well as it is probably the same kind of steel. This spring steel is what Flex-cut tools are made from. As for finding time, I carve on weekday nights, forge on the weekends. I started work on that Celtic knot love spoon and it is not as difficult as I thought it would be. I will post it when it is done. As for gathering up some tools and trying your hand at forging, by all means give it a try. A lot of fine carvers are also great blacksmiths! I have no idea why these two crafts go together but they do.

Comment

Well Captain, you dog gone and done it. You've got me into forging too.

I've got my 3/16' tool rod, my torch and I'm ready to go. I'm hoping to give it a try this weekend.

I think maybe it is a guy thing, making your own tools. My wife asked me what I'm doing with the tool rod and I said I'm making a carving knife. She said 'Why don't you just go buy one?' They just don't understand.

Chris
                    Safety first

Comment

Wow! Captain, I like your dawknive. It's a very fine work.

If I live close to you I would buy one for me. :'(

Saturno&&-----------------------&&Regards from the Galaxy.

Comment

If my drawknife was that pretty I would have a display case for it, You do phenomenal work capt. B
                        I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

icarve2003, there is a picture of a one-brick forge on my website. Take a look. I think you can buy the bricks at a fire place store. It will heat the rod even faster. Also, check out the blacksmithing website: http://www.anvifire.com. Take your time and be sure to check out the iForge section. Lots of tutorials. Finally, don't forget to come back here. This is still the best group of folks on the web!

Comment

Really nice work Cap'n!! Between you and Rick, maybe we will learn something!!

Comment

RE: Making Tools. I have to reconsider my statement that making tools is a guy thing. Certainly more guys than gals do it but this weekend I went to a Blacksmithing convention in Dallas. There were several women blacksmiths and they were darned good! Although they could make their own tools (tongs, chisels, hammers,etc.) they really excelled at making the more artistic stuff like candle sconces with vines, flowers, leaves, etc. Interesingly, I had a conversation with one lady smith and found out her husband is a wood carver! And she is friends with Ron Ransom! He designed a blank for him that was a Santa with an anvil in his sack! I gotta try one like that before Christmas is upon us again.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X