Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramblings in the desert

Howdy All,

Well time is flying by quickly here, so quickly that I cannot keep track of which day is which, if it wasn't for our Wednesday night seafood dinner at the messhall I would be completly lost. As a matter of fact "Seafood Night" is how I have organized my time remaining here at my new desert home. It is the time remaining that brings me to my next thought.

It has been 3 months now since I arrived in Iraq and almost 6 months since I left my home in Alaska. While I miss my family dearly and foremost I honestly have to say I miss my hobby of scrolling. As often as I can I check this forum and try to live through the work that many of you are posting, it is strange that something like our hobby can be so missed when taken away. My Zen time as I call it has been lost, I have tried carving which isn't my forte, I have tried jigsaw puzzles which give me a headache and more recently I tried Oragami...don't even get me started on that mess. So I ask you this, what does a scroller do to take the edge off when they are seperated from their saw?

I'm open for ideas as I have 14 more seafood nights until I get home for mid tour leave and then another 27 until I am back for good, after that I will never eat seafood again and I'll never be without my hobby.

Take Care Ya'll,

Todd
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

It's lovely hearing from you again, Todd. You're missed.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Hang in there, kid

Todd-

Good to hear from you. I don't know what to suggest you do without the saw. I know I would be lost, it's bad enough me using my backup saw while my Dewalt 788 is in the shop, but at least I do have a backup. All I can say is hang in there, it will be over quicker than you think. I thought my time overseas in 1968 would never end. It did.

Be safe and come back whole.

-Bill
      -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Todd,
        Here's a thought--how about a hand fretsaw? They pack up small, use standard SS blades, and can cut most things...then you just need wood...

STAY SAFE!!!!

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Hey Todd we miss you here as much as you miss scrolling.

I guess if you have access to origami paper there are a couple of things you could try.
          You could try doing inlays with the paper and some marquetry patterns, just for practice. You could also try scherenschnitte, paper cutting so close to scroll work you will end up with tons of patterns to scroll when you get home.

I like Bobs hand fretsaw idea. One thing for sure you will appreciate your saw when you return.

Take care my friend
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I have to say Todd- YOU ARE GREATLY MISSED -- and I am sure that others here will agree that hardly a time goes by when I log on here that you aren't thought of. We - well most of us - do surely miss you my dear friend and wish you had your saw with you there but I had the same thought as Bob-- how about a hand saw? I bet someone would send you one if you'd like? I know it isn't the same ,but in a pinch it would give you some relief..
            Love Ya--
            Sharon

Comment

Now Todd,

I tried to get you to take a hand fret saw with you. A clock pattern and some wood. You should trust my genius more.

Maybe you can still get some stuff?

Comment

Another thought

get a magnifying glass and do some pyrography with the sun.

You could do military vehicles.
                I am not sure but you may be able to photo copy , glue to the wood, then burn through the paper.

Any scraps would work, and if you signed and dated them, along with your location I bet you would have no problem selling them.
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hey Todd....check your private messages. I sent you my address. If you'd like write me a letter with your return address and I'll cut you a blank from one of my old miniature carousel horse patterns and send it to you along with a couple good carving knives and a cast horse's head for reference. It's not scrolling but it once provided me with a lot of relaxing recreation. If it works for ya I'll keep them coming till you get home. When you get back you can build a carousel with the scroll saw and install the "herd"!!
                  If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Hi Todd
                    Good to hear from you.
                    Bet you are ready to come home.
                    Stay safe and sound.

Bob
                    Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Hey Todd, if someone sends you a hand fret saw make sure they send you a couple of drill bits and a way to spin them

Bruce
                      Bruce
                      . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
                      visit sometime
                      Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Great to hear from you Rivari! I bet you are looking like "baked Alaskan" about now.

I guess the usual reading and playing cards (poker will get you that Hegner I know you've been dreaming about) are already old hat. I honestly don't know what to suggest.

Is there anything WE can send you like books, magazines, snacks, etc??????

Stay safe.
                        ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Thanks for all the good words folks. I know Grizz you did mention the hand saw before I left...during the next war I will be sure to pack it.

Carl if I ever try Oragami again it will be to soon, I'm serious it drove me crazy. It was the instruction book I had that made it so difficult, none the less I have marked that off my potential hobby list.

Bear fret, yes we play a bit of cards here but I'm not getting rich very quick (not that we would actually play for money ). Besides I bought a new RBI Hawk about month before I left.

Neal I'll drop you a letter my friend.

Bob, trust me I am going to start hunting for a hand saw...I should have listened a long time ago.
                          Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

You hang in there Todd!

And I'd be more than happy to pick up that Hawk, put some blades thru it, and push it hard thru all the paces to make sureit is on fine working order when you return.....

Is there anything we can send you and your troops? i'm betting this wonderful board could come up with some great care packages. Let us know, I for one am ready, willing, and able.

Barry
                            ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Barry the guys here don't need anything really. We have a little PX that gets most of what we ask for. Even on a little Forward Operating Base like ours things are fairly easy to get if you know who is going where. I appreciate the offer though, I know there is still alot of support for us stateside and that in itself is more than enough.
                              Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X