Art versus Craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art versus Craft

This topic comes up on forums all the time, several times on this one.

I was looking for answers so I turned to the web....it is all true out there isn't it?

I did find some interesting reading http://www.denisdutton.com/rnz_craft.htm

http://atlas.hs-niederrhein.de/fb02/.../vtash01a.html

So a professional painter can paint a house with paints and brushes, wielding them like a Van Gogh. He is a master at his craft, yet not quite an artist.
    A piece of art can be mass produced with printing presses, but then it isn't art anymore is it?

I guess we all want to know this in the "Scrolling World"
    Here I would say the craft is the art of creating art.
    The art is the finished piece crafted by our craft.

I need a nap

Oh I am more confused than when I started.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

I think the files are full of discussions of this topic. Seems there was a thread not too awful long ago concerning "art" and "craft". A long time ago when I first went to college I "majored" in "art". There was no degree in "crafts", so I got a BA in "Fine Arts". As opposed to what other kind of "arts" I don't know. Over the years I have come to the decision that the difference between "artists" and "crafters" (politically correct enough?) is like the difference between a "Violin" and a "Fiddle." When that musical instrument plays "classical" music it is a "Violin" (there are no Fiddles in an orchestra). When it is used to play "Bluegrass" or Turkey in the Straw, it is a "Fiddle".
    Moon
    Old Mooner

Comment

Hi Carl

If the client wants a piece of artwork, then the client gets artwork. If the client wants a bit of proper craftsmanship, then the client gets a bit of proper craftsmanship.

I'll still cut the same project, irrespective .

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I thought I heard something 'snap' up north. Now I know what it was...

Comment

HUMMMMMMM ------ I have come to this conclusion --- Thinking will get you one heck of a headache--passing Carl the BIG BIG bottle of asprin--
          But I did come up with a answer that seems fitting for me - but not nessarally for everyone-
          If it is a bird house or bird feeder or something in that manner ( maybe a jig I make for helping me do my work easier-- it is a craft - why? because anyone can do it = BUT
          If it is on of my scenic pieces or a portrate or even a victorian style piece of furniture then it is a art --Why? Because not everyone can do this and like a fine painting in oil- each scroller has his own style and each piece is destintive to him/her.
          Just my 2 1/2 cents worth..

Comment

Art vs Craft

WOW Carl!!! I read that link and I gotta tell ya.....that guy used a lot of words and clarified nothing. I suppose, simply put, that art is in the eye of the bee holder (little pun there). A beautiful vase is crafted by someone and the end product may be used to hold flowers. Some folks see a vase...others see a work of art. I'm with Gill on this one. If someone sees my work as being art, I'm flattered. If someone else sees the same piece as a good job of scrolling, I'm flattered. Either way they're buying what they see for what they see in it. Never considered myself as an artist....just a pretty good cutter!!!
            If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Jeez Neal! "A pretty good cutter" is a bit too humble don't ya think? A heck of a lot more goes into your projects than cutting wood. I think what comes into play here is "creativeness". Here's where I get into trouble again--a "craftsman" (person) is a talented/skilled person who can do a good job building, putting together, constructing, or copying just about anything from a plan given to him/her by another person. A good carpenter or mason is a craftsman. An "artist" adds their own touch/interpretation and does not always follow the plan. They can, if you will, ad lib, and the result is basically their own. I realize this discussion is endless, but that is OK.
              Moon
              Old Mooner

Comment

I appreciate your kind words Moon....Thanks. I sometimes wish I had never started segmentation. There's so much more that can be done with the scroll saw but I seldom do anything else. When I start a fretwork project or a pierced portrait I feel like I have to hurry up and get it done so I can get back to what I really love to do. Maybe it's the "surprise" factor. I never know how one of my patterns will turn out until it's cut, stained and glued up. I have an idea of what it should look like, but I never know for sure 'till it's done.
                If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

I was once told by a show promoter that my work is more fine art than craft. I was approached by the Northern Indiana Arts Association and asked to put some items in their store which I did. (Got a $50.00 check yesterday for a bottle stopper and slimline pen and pencil after their commission!)
                  All I know is that I enjoy scrolling and turning. I don't care if it's arts or crafts, but I think that calling it art gets a better price!
                  Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X