Wooden Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Gears

The propect of repetitively cutting individual teeth on wooden gears is too dreary a prospect for me to face! Can anyone think of a way to automate gear production?

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Stack cut segments and glue up? 1/4 or 1/6 or even 1/8 the cutting, but your mistakes propogate around the clock

Comment

You can make a jig. that will have a centre pivot.
      The jig should have a table that will slide in and out on the saw table.
      The side of the jig could have indexing marks. Each notch would allow you to cut a tooth.
      I have an article someone on a jig that uses a router to cut teeth if you are interested I will humt it down and send it to you. I am not using it anymore.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Great idea, Carl! A jig like that should work a treat on a bandsaw with a mitre track .

I'd still be interested in a copy of that article if it's not too much trouble, please.

Thanks

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Jig for making gears

Carl,
          There was an article in Fine Woodworking that goes back several years that also talked about making gears with a router. Is that the one you're referring to? If not I'll send it to Gill so she will have more ideas to look at.

Dan

Comment

Thats the one. Mine is in a FineWoodworking Book, I got from a used book store.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
              Shrink wrap systems
              by Linda In Phoenix
              What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
              Today, 11:51 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Sundays market
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
              Today, 11:39 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to New tools
              by Linda In Phoenix
              New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
              Today, 11:36 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Interesting pallet
              by Linda In Phoenix
              At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
              Today, 11:32 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Interesting pallet
              by NC Scroller
              I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
              Today, 11:30 AM
            Working...
            X