heating issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heating issues

I was just wondering what many of you use for heating your shops or garages in the Winter?? I have R-13 insulation in my garage walls and 1/2" foil covered sheating on the ceiling. All I have is a 40,000 BTU kerosine heater as a heat source. Monday it was 30 degrees for the high temp. I went out to my garage and plugged in my heater and let it run for one hour. When I went back out to start working on my saw I took our house thermomater(sp) an it had raised to 65 degrees after a half hour of sawing I looked again and it was 71 and I was sweating.I had to unplug and plug it back in to keep it a decent temp. I wish it had a thermostat. I happy with what I have was wondering about the rest of you.

Heavykevy
    When you hit rock bottom the only answer is to look up

I've got normal heat, I reckon. My shop is in the basement. I've got about a 40' x 12' space for it. I just need to put up some more walls, to help contain the dust better. Oh, and a new/better dust sucking system. LOL

Comment

I got a little infrared heater for the garage as one of my gifts. My wife often leaves the door up, so even though I insulated it, it can be pretty cold when I go out there at night. The heater is shaped like a small round fan and has a setting of 400 or 800 watts. It is instant heat for people; takes a little longer for a machine. It's like having a campfire next to you. It can be cold in the garage and I will be toasty as long as I am within a few feet, which I am because my shop is so small. It doesn't have a thermostat, but it does have a timer so it won't stay on if I forget or have something come up while inside. It will occilate like a fan, but I usually just put it on low and aim at me.
      -Andy

Comment

My garage isn't insulated. I have an 80,000 btu propane heater under a ceiling fan. It does a pretty good job, but when I'm going to do any finishing, I have to turn it off. The fumes get pretty bad.
        Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Heating Issues

If you are using an un-vented heater in your garage ( I used to use a propane bullit heater) buy a digital Carbon monoxide detector. The threshold ion mine was set at 50PPM I was getting a reading of 44 with the garage door partialy open. I always had headaches.

My woodshop is in the basement and I will be installing a Hydronic heater tied to my furnace with a thermostat controlled seperate zone. I will let you know how that works out.

Rolf
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I guess I am more fortunate than most - My shop is the original living room of my house so I have central air and heat with ceiling fans-- when I use my router I was taking it outside but now I just open the door to outside and the double floor length windows and let-er rip-- but I am wondering if the saw dust with the keraseen heaters and all are really safe. I know when I have a project that I have excess sawdust it seems to be very heavy and it would appear to me that it would be flamable.. I know my son uses my sawdust for burning stumps and it works great for instant bon fires... by the way -- it is in the low 70s here now so opening the doors and windows is like heaven right now.

Comment

For your reading pleasure. Safety http://www.iii.org/media/publication...ures/kerosene/

http://www.manchesternh.gov/CityGov/...aceheater.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05148.html

Dust and sparks do not mix so I think dust and open flames don't either. Think safety
              John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sandy Oaks
                Teach - Learn
                by Sandy Oaks
                A modified Sue Mey pattern to fit 1" x 4" x 10" Hard Maple. Cut on the Pegas scroll saw using a Pegas #5 MGT blade. One side says "TEACH". Flip it over and the other side says "LEARN". After sanding, dipped in diluted Shellac, sanded again and another dipping. Comments...
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.
                Today, 12:13 PM
              • Sandy Oaks
                Reply to First Project - Stretching Cat
                by Sandy Oaks
                Very well done, especially for your first. I too like the added detail.
                Today, 11:22 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Insertion of a marquetry pattern in a stained glass window
                by Rolf
                The end result is beautiful I really like that Hummingbird design....
                Today, 09:54 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Help with spray adhesive
                by Rolf
                I have used all sorts of methods for putting on patterns. The only time I put a pattern directly on the wood is on Intarsia as the shaping process removes it. I only use blue tape under the pattern on very small projects.

I Use clear removable contact paper (shelf liner) on the wood and...
                Today, 09:51 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Sanding and calibration disk.
                by Rolf
                I agree about how it was advertised, but it is my own fault, I know better. Just for curiosity I may strip the paint off and see how true the plate is.

The good thing is that while I had my saw blade off I cleaned it sprayed Crud cutter on it let it sit then wiped it off with a skotchbright...
                Today, 09:42 AM
              Working...
              X