What's behind your username?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owler,

Very cool hobby! Owls are impressive birds.

I've had a few snowy owls come to my predator calls looking for a free meal. Last year I had one dive on and smack my snowshoe hare skin decoy right at dark. He left quickly and I could have swore he looked upset!!!
    ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I never see Owls at my house but we sure have a lot of Coopers Hawks around, neat to watch them.

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Just curious to know if you add you usernames to name tags at scollsaw gatherings. I guess some people might not like that idea if they are someone who likes to maintain a sense of anonyminity. But in another sense it could be helpful if you ae a newbie to such gatherings. As I said... just curious!
        Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Haven't seen any owls here, but we have a few Red-Tailed Hawks, and a pair of Bald Eagles have nested in the area.
          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

I have done that before at the Pennsylvania picnic and it is actually incouraged. I met some folks I talk with on the net just by recognizing the name. In fact the guy who won the scrolling contest for this magazine which Bob was in complete control of, was someone I have conversed with before. It helped because he went by the name Clockman but he used it in a whole different context. Good idea though.
            John T.

Comment

Originally posted by bearfretworks
              Owler,

Very cool hobby! Owls are impressive birds.

I've had a few snowy owls come to my predator calls looking for a free meal. Last year I had one dive on and smack my snowshoe hare skin decoy right at dark. He left quickly and I could have swore he looked upset!!!
              What predator calls are you using? We only get snowy owls along the NJ coast in the winter, but great horned owls might do the same thing.

This is all way of topic even under this post!
              Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Electronic callers and hand-held - rabbit in distress. I also use a decoy complete with snowshoe hare skin to draw attention away from me.

It is great fun that results in lots of exercise in the fresh air watching birds come in - ravens and magpies, occasional eagle and hawk, rarely an owl and the very rare coyote, fox, or lynx.
                ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Teresa, yes, I made myself a nametag saying lucky788scroller,and my birth name on it as well. Odd thiong,its painted in yellow and black! Strange huh?I wear it to every picnic I attend,9 of them so far! If you ever get over on this piece of land,arrange it so you can attend one,you will love it.
                  Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Since 1965 I have been owned by one or more Shetland Sheepdogs (shelties). I originally joined the carving board, and was referring to my (as yet not entirely satisfactory) attempts to capture a sheltie in a carving. When I was given a new RBI, I came looking at the scrollsaw board, and at that time if you were a member of one, you were automatically a member of the other, so here I am. I do more scrolling than carving now, since it is fun and quicker, and I am not getting any younger. I am still owned by a sheltie, and he is always close by when I carve or scroll. (or go somewhere in the car, weather permitting)
                    Sandy

Comment

The Ozarks is where I hail from, and when I was in the military, they have a way of giving you nicknames, my name being Bill didn't help either, hence hillbilly.

I too have a favorite owl story, years ago my wife and I went camping in the swamps of Florida with an other couple who were from the city and never really had an experience with the type of camping we were doing. After spending the evening around the camp fire telling ghost stories we turned in for the night, shortly after, I heard a screech owl in the distance and by his hoots could tell he was making his way towards our camp, probably to use our dying fire light to aid in his night hunt. Sure enough he flew right into our camp with a screech which I answered with my own terrifying scream hoping to scare him and move him on to another location. Well you guessed it, I hadn't even finished with my scream when an even more terrifying scream came from our friends tent. Long story short, the poor girl was in tears and could not be persuaded to stay!! They broke camp and headed home at 2 in the morning!!! And I wouldn't doubt has ever been camping since!!! LoL.

Bill
                      Last edited by ozarkhillbilly; 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM.
                      Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Sandy,
                        Our Sheltie is our first, she is the best natured dog we have ever
                        owned. Whenever my wife gets up and goes to another room Princess
                        follows. She is black and white usually not the color of most shelties
                        but is still a pretty dog.
                        Bill
                        Delta P-20

Comment

I dont know i just thaught of it

Comment

Well moolcool that was good for a bit of original thinking. I reckon that with a bit more thinking you could create a good story to match it! I have found that Lucky is good at creating stories - he may be able to help you out! Just kidding!

Lucky, if I designed and made a name badge for myself, as you did, it may be too much for others to cope with (private joke)
                            Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Teresa, I challenge you to do it!!!!! Lets see if you can get yourself psyched up enough to do it. I bet you know the right ritual to try!
                              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Lucky, I guess that will teach me!!!!! will have to think on that one - but it may not be for a few days - other more sedate rituals have to take perference over the next few days. Just packing to go and see my Mum tomorrow. She's in a home 3hrs away and even though she hasn't been able to talk for some years, and I don't know how much she even knows me these days, I need to go and spend a little time with her. She is very frail. But spending time with family is important during this season. Then it's back here and off to have Christmas with the Grandson (and of course, his parents!) I have to go and see all those Thomas Train engine decorations on his tree that I made for him.

It's beautiful weather in NZ at the moment, T-shirts & shorts type weather and we are moving into our long holiday break. Schools are now out for 6weeks - Yippee!!!!! for me! A Kiwi Christmas is more a kind of outdoor event with lots of time in the sun.

I'll catch back with you asap.
                                Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                                  by meflick
                                  Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                                  Today, 01:10 PM
                                • meflick
                                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                  by meflick
                                  Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                                  Today, 01:04 PM
                                • John Smith
                                  by John Smith
                                  Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                                  HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                                  Today, 10:01 AM
                                • Jim McDonald
                                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                                  by Jim McDonald
                                  My kids always call me since I am the one who probably did the stuff they are calling about.

I know it's scary to get that call, but I'm glad to hear the charge exited where it did before it went any further.

Probably hurts like hell and he has a copper taste in his mouth...
                                  Today, 09:52 AM
                                • Sandy Oaks
                                  by Sandy Oaks
                                  Welcome to the forum from TN. As a Pegas Distributor, Pegas has the Super Skip blades which works perfectly with acrylics at a reduced speed.
                                  Today, 09:40 AM
                                Working...
                                X