Auctions,Ebay, Others ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auctions,Ebay, Others ???

OK lets try to wake this crowd up. I am looking to sell my wares some other way than craft fairs because I think this is going the way of bell bottomed pants yet I hear they are making a comeback. How else do you people sell your items and does it do well. If it does what makes it so. Has anyone done on-line auctions other than ebay??? Has anyone done these on-line malls?? If so how well does it do and what are the secrets?? I know people have their own web sites does this do well and how do you go about advertising your site???

Now there are no secrets that can't be shared right?? So let us get a topic on this going and help each other out. What do you all say??

Last year in Nov I took some of both Trevor's turning and my scrollsaw work to my worksite and this proved ok considering we only have a staff of 20. I left it in the staff room all week and people pondered each time they walked past. I am about to do this again this week - not sure how well it will go again but may as well sit there for a week as at home.

We have tried our website 'Trade Me' a while back but didn't do any good. Got one bid of $5000.00 for a clock from a now banned user - but I guess that sort of thing happens. Called himself Toogood which said it all.
    Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Auctions

JT...try www.woodcraftauction.com . I had some stuff in there for a long time but changed my email address and forgot to update my gallery there. I guess they bumped me off because buyers could not contact me?? I was on there for over a year and had no hits though. I just checked it out and they're still doing business. Look in the "home decor" section and you will find several scrolled items such as clocks and wall hangings and can get an idea of what folks are asking for their work. I think it's still free and is sponsored by Woodcraft whose corporate office is here in Parkersburg, West Virginia. Hope this some help??
      If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

I found a site jus the other day that I am thinking of trying. They allow you to set up your own web pages, etc. It requires a monthly fee from $9.95 up to $20 depending on how many items you want to include in "your" shop. I haven't jumped in yet, but I'm thinking about it. The site is www.spsell.com. Anyone tried it already? Now I will have to take a look athe one Neal recommended before making any decisions.
        Moon
        Old Mooner

Comment

Moon,

I would say if you want to try your hand at online sales do it on sites that are "free to list"..I prefer bidville.com my user id is wood-n-things over there.

I would not pay to have someone host your stuff. it may or may not sell and then what ya have is stuff and debt...don't need both of them...

I gotta run but I'm glad someone started this topic..
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Robert,
            I've been having a banner season with my art & craft fairs. I pretty much limit my fair sales to scrolling however. As far as the rest of my woodworking, some other sources for sales:
            Higher end galleries are good for original designs, I'm currently only working with a local one but may expand next year;
            Cape Cod Crafters offers spaces in their retail shops for a reasonable amount, I talked to a couple of the other crafters at the fair I did yesterday who had their stuff in these and they were quite pleased with the results;
            Here in CT we have a ton of small craft stores that either buy direct or sell on consignment, these are good avenues as well;
            Local gift shops and chains are good buyers as well, Hallmarks are typically locally owned and often have substantial freedom as to what they carry.

Selling wholesale is a little tougher than direct. You can expect them to want to pay anywhere from 50% - 65% of your retail price. That's the bad news, the good news is that most folks' are so underpriced that what we think of retail is what most of the higher end places think of as wholesale.

As far as online sales, I just don't think that the pictures do the pieces justice (and therefore cannot command as high a price) so I haven't pursued this as much. I do have a website but it's more for existing customers than attracting new ones.

Kevin
            Kevin
            Scrollsaw Patterns Online
            Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

JT,
              I don't know how many of your creations are your own designs, but if there are any that are not, you may want to use extreme caution offering them for sale on the internet. A coupl'a days ago I googled "Winfield Collection", looking for those cute layered animals.I found the winfield collection allright, but the listing right below that was "Winfield Collection vs (a woman's name)".
              Seems she had made some items from one of their patterns and offered them on e-bay, and someone in WC's home state won the auction. They were sueing her for copyright infringement, even though she had legally purchased the plans from them. The case was dismissed on some sort of a venue issue, but this sort of thing would indeed be a very scary position to find ones self in, and there would very likely be fees to a bottom feeder - or a lawyer, if you wish- to get out of peril.
              Just a thought.
              I have only sold through word of mouth and at a few woodcarver events, so I can't help you on your real question.
              Good Luck!!
              Sandy

Comment

Kevin I can see we are going to have the copyright discussion over here too.

LOL

It is my understanding we can make and sell items from patterns we purchase or find in scrolling mags etc.
                Unless the pattern states "For Personal Use Only" Then you would be on thin Ice.

We cannot sell the patterns from other designers such as winfiled or wooden teddy bears etc.

I have been selling online for over 2 years and haven't had a problem ...YET.

Be very carful with Major sports team logos..anything Disney. Even your own patterns of Disney items and then cutting and selling may bring trouble.

I have found one work around with Disney.
                and NFL. I make some boys shelves and the NFL logo of their choice is free.

If I make a name sign for a little girl for instance and it has daisy duck on it I sell the name and sign and give them the Disney character at no charge........this seems to work. Of course it is included in my price...
                Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-21-2005, 01:50 PM.
                "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

The Winfield folks are very serious about protecting their designs. On their web site there is a button labeled "Copyrights" that leads to a very specific warning about what you can and can't do.

Comment

Mike,
                    To be honest, I'm sick of copyright discussions, both here and on other forums. It's gotten to the point of rediculousness now. The purpose of copyrights was originally intended to encourage new ideas, NOT to protect authors (Supreme court's interpretation as well btw). Many people misunderstand this very simple concept and I'm tired of trying. I will be doing more and more of my own patterns and will continue to use Wildwood who're very clear about selling items made from their patterns (they offer a suggested pricelist of finished items made from their patterns).
                    Steve,
                    I read that notice on Winfield's site, of course they also had their case tossed out of court so it doesn't cost much to use legal precedent in a proceeding to get any further actions stopped. If you happen to live in the same state as Winfield, then I suppose they could try again. The fact that Winfield chose to take a customer to court for selling what she made from patterns legally purchased in the first place is what bugs me. This isn't some off-shore mass production concern, it was one of us who bought these patterns to make the items for sale. I WON'T be purchasing anything from Winfield ever after reading this. Why would I buy a pattern from a company who might sue me for using it for its intended purpose (i.e. the crafting and selling of the finished piece)?
                    The US Copyright Office indicated that unless a pattern is marked for personal use only or there is a pre-existing WRITTEN agreement between the purchaser and seller that finished items may be sold. (This was their answer when asked the specific quesiton).

Kevin
                    Kevin

Comment

Yes we have had this discussion before and you can locate it here because I brought it up about logos of teams and things of this nature. Bob said there will be a topic in an upcoming issue that deals with this. As far as me selling any product I make whether it is a pattern I made or one I bought I will challenge anyone, anywhere, any time,who wants to take me to court over such nonsense. I have sold patterns to a certain company, no names, and they have exclusive rights to them and I can not turn around and sell them to someone else too. It is like selling someone's patterns. I do not do that.

I am not worried about that part here I am interested what others have done to sell their products that were successful and their secrets for doing it. Someone mentioned not sure if it was here or another site because I have asked this other places but they said our product doesn't sell well on the net is because people can't touch it and a picture does not do it justice. Is this true?? People that have web sites that are doing well or have done well lets here from you too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this on going problem.
                      John T.

Comment

JT,

I agree with the person who said they can't touch or feel it.

This is why it is imperative to give a detailed and accurate description of each item.
                        Open communication with potential buyer via e-mail. It can be done on the net. it just takes practice..
                        "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Kevin. I am in total agreement with what you said

To be honest, I'm sick of copyright discussions, both here and on other forums. It's gotten to the point of rediculousness now.
                          Fred

Comment

At a craft show, people will walk by your booth getting from one place to another, and your work has a chance to catch an eye. On the web, people have to look for your stuff (it would be nice to be that well-known), or you have to find a way to get it in front of them on the way to something else.

I do a little business on the web, but in marketing on the web I focus on a subject matter rather than a medium. Few people are out there looking for "crafts" or "wooden portraits" to buy, but there are many people who go on line looking for things related to their own interests and hobbies. I place my works on EBay in the categories relating to their subject matter, not under "Crafts". My guitar ornaments go into the acoustic guitar category, my dulcimer ornaments in the dulcimer category (I do better with the dulcimers). I also

For the web, think about doing a line of, for example, dog portraits and market them in places devoted to dog lovers.

I don't think it's the "can't touch it" so much as the "never get to see it". Look at QVC HSN and all the other tv shopping. As to the photos not doing the work justice, you can take and post pics that do the job with a little care and knowledge of lighting and basic photography skills.

Comment

I still think galleries and local shops will generate more income than the web for all but a very select (and lucky) few. To be honest, I'm so buried in orders that I really haven't given trying to expand on the web much thought.
                              Steve,
                              I used to make my living with a camera, but I still don't think a 2-dimensional picture could ever do justice to the scrolling craft.

Mike, I meant no offense to you so I hope you didn't take it that way....missed ya at chat last night buddy!

Kevin
                              Kevin

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
                                Today, 08:18 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Rolf
                                That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
                                Today, 08:16 AM
                              • Quartz43
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by Quartz43
                                I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.
                                Yesterday, 07:29 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
                                Yesterday, 07:27 PM
                              • Misouri Wayne
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by Misouri Wayne
                                Tough situation. Just have to take it one day at a time.
                                Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X