Professionals/Acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professionals/Acceptable?

I see so many conversations about what the "professionals" think or do and about what is "acceptable" or not that I wondered if maybe some of y ou more enlightened folks could set me straight on the definitions. What is a "professional" in this area (scrolling, intarsia, segmentation,etc)? How can some technique be "acceptable" or "unacceptable" if it works and who gets to decide?--the "professionals"?
    Please, lets not get to the point that we divide along lines like I have seen carvers do about the use of power tools vs hand tools or whether a person is a painter or an illustrator. Many artistic/hobby classifications have even developed "contests" (scrolling has too, I know) where "judges" evaluate all sorts of nitpicky points. Takes the pleasure right out of the hobby. My opinion.
    Moon
    Old Mooner

Moon, I totally agree with you. We should try to keep this hobby pleasureable for "everyone". Ray

Comment

Profesionals

I guess the true definition of professional is someone who gets paid but in scrolling I would like to think of the professionals as those who have been in the hobby long enough to offer sound advice.
      There are some outstanding scrollers in this forum. Some may use the hobby as a form of relaxation others may even make a living at it.
      Acceptable is a matter of choice, based upon your experience and your outlook.
      While it is perfectly acceptable to burp at the dinner table in some locales it is not acceptable in others.

I do hope the members of the forum occasionally learn some things here. I also hope they have some laughs. The internet is not only a medium for learning but it creates its own subcultures too. All in all I find the forum a very rewarding experience.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

My thoughts?

All I can say is:
        -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

My thoughts?

All I can say is:

Here, Here Old Mooner, Here, Here.
          -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
            Bruce, the one on probation
            by will8989
            is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
            Today, 12:59 AM
          • will8989
            Sundays market
            by will8989
            When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
            Today, 12:46 AM
          • will8989
            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
            by will8989
            I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
            Today, 12:27 AM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
            by jim_mex
            Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
            Yesterday, 08:47 PM
          • KarlB
            Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
            by KarlB
            Very well done!

Karl
            Yesterday, 07:36 PM
          Working...
          X