X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bearfretworks
    replied
    Thanks Max/Dan!

I've been there , close to my real job, and noticed they were very proud of their wood. I walked around and looked and was impressed with their stock. They don't, or didn't at the time, carry anything under 3/4". I asked if they had resaw capabilities and got some major attitude. I left and haven't been back.

I've got a couple folks I buy from online that I met thru eBay. Real good folks, great wood, great price, and beats anything I've found in Anchorage hands down for price - and that includes the postage!

Its good to hear from a fellow Anchorage-ite. Let me know if you are interested in getting together.

Barry

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    Bearfret,

Try Hardware Specialties. They have all the hardwood you need. But be ready to spend. They are pricey and only sell full-lenghth boards.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• bearfretworks
    replied
    Rivari,

Deal, lets get togther when you are back from your assignment.

I've got a good stock of mixed hardwoods (domestic and exotic) in various thicknesses (1/8-3/4) on hand that you will be more than welcome to paw thru/take some home!

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    Howdy Bearfret,

The basswood rounds come from Wal-Mart and the baltic birch I use comes from either Home Depot or Lowe's. There is a place in Anchorage that does sell more exotic woods though the name slips me at the moment.

Good to see another Alaskan on the forum, keep posting and when I get out of the sandbox perhaps we can exchange more info on the local level.

Leave a comment:

• bearfretworks
    replied
    Really nice job thinking outside the box with that eagle leaf pattern Rivari! Stay safe and know you have our THANKS today and every day for what you do.

As a side note - Where do you get your thin wood stock in Wasilla?

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    That is exactly what I did Capt., now you can see just how easy it was to do. Though in retrospect beveling would offer a nicer fit. Further if it were beveled one might be able to add a bit of copper to the inside to accent the whole piece.

I really need my saw folks, only 15 more months to go.

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    I'm new to the group. Stumbled onto the gallery photos..I too am suitably impressed.

Congrats on a job well done...

Leave a comment:

• Capt Weasel
    replied
    Did you outline the leaf onto the basewood then cut it separate and sand to fit? If so, I take it you had to draw a fine line the cut slow and true.

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    Howdy all I'm here online...err..for the moment.

Actually the leaf is not beveled at all. It was a straight cut which I took alot of time on to ensure I had a nice tight fit. For the areas that were a tad to tight I used a bit of sandpaper to get the fit needed.

Thanks for the compliment on that piece.

Todd

Leave a comment:

• wwalker47
    replied
    Nice

Rivari-
    That Egale look very nice, indeed. I've been scrolling about a year myself and haven't tryed that bevel cut yet. When I do try I hope it will come out half as good.

Ya got 'er done.

-Bill

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    Hi Capt. Rivari is stationed overseas at the moment, but I believe he cut the leaf at a bevel.
    The angle of the bevel will determine the height of the piece.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CanadianScroller; 11-15-2005, 08:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Capt Weasel
    replied
    How did you get the leaf to inset perfectly and snug?

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    I sure appreciate the compliments by all, as a newbie in my first year of scrolling it is nice to hear that I managed to take what I too thought was a rather boring pattern and brought it to life a bit more. I had that leaf and eagle hanging in the shop for over a month before I decided something else needed to be done to it, glad to hear that decision was worth while.

Leave a comment:

• SharonW0111
    replied
    Todd you did a outstanding job on the eagle-- I never cared much for the leaf patterns but you made it look so pretty --- Keep up doing the thinking thing --works good
    Sharon

Leave a comment:

• Troy
    replied
    Yeah I agree, it looks amazing. Makes ya think about other possibilites when looking through the pattern catalogs...

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X