To good to be true!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To good to be true!

I reached a fork in the road, after having fought with my Dremel 1800 for too many weeks now, I started my quest of comparing different saws. Much of the info I took into account was from here in the forum. I've received catalogs from numerous companies and one of which sent me a great video showing their product in action. I've compared prices, I've searched eBay, I honestly think I have put more effort into this endevour than I did my own wedding plans, and now finally my search is over and I did something exciting this morning.

I ordered my new saw!(which is on sale right now)

Drumroll please...

I ordered a RBI G4! Whoopie!

So thats my big news, I am tickled to the point of no return and now I have to play the waiting game until it to arrives. I would try to explain the many reasons for my choice but it just boils down to one thing, the sale RBI has going on right now finally put this saw in my target price range.

When the lil bugger arrives I'll get some pictures, this is almost like having a new baby coming home.
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Todd,
    Congratulations on yer new baby!! I have an RBI Hawk, and I love it.
    I think the biggie is that we get a quality saw, then the differences get so much smaller - and we all tend to want everyone to confirm our decision by buying the same saw.
    My saw took almost 2 weeks to get to rural California, and then it was just the legs!! The working parts took almost another week. Of course, this was around Christmas, when UPS is swamped, so hopefully you won't have such a long "gestation period"
    Again - congratulations.
    Sandy

Comment

congrats

Todd-

Congrats on your new Hawk. Please post a follow up on how you like it and preformance. I would like to get a new saw, but not in the cards right now.

-Bill
      -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Sandy it took the last edition of SSW 3 weeks to get up here so I cannot even begin to think how long it will take a saw to get here. I did send RBI an email asking what the approximate shipping date would be and I haven't received a reply yet. For the price of shipping and handling to Alaska that was paid it should be here in 30 minutes or less, S&H was the only tough part of this purchase.

Bill I will be sure to add my input on it's performance versus my old saw's once I am up and running.

Did I mention how excited I was yet?
        Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Congratulations!! Not only do we want to see pictures of the saw, but also of what you do with it!!
          Theresa
          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

I probably be waxing and polishing it more then cutting.
            Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Waxing and polishing

Todd....after seeing the pictures of your shop I have no problem believing you will wax and polish that saw!!!! LOL!!
              If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

I like my G4. Today I finally put my back wheels on that I had ordered with the Saw. Wife is making me clean up the shop and area... so since I can't cut today, thought I'd tinker with the Saw and such.

Comment

Grizz where have you been? Haven't seen you posting for a bit.

Neal, I think I have created a monster. With the pending arrival of the new saw the wife has asked what I am going to do with the old one. Now she has an interest in doing a bit of scrolling! I love the idea, but if she soon gets tired of the old saw I know she will want a new one too.

Beyond waxing, polishing and telling it bedtime stories I hope to find time to put it to work. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive. (According to the Hawk Rep. it should be here next Wednesday...pending any Canadian Hijacking on it's way here...Carl!)
                  Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

While you're waiting, you could draw up plans for the RBI shrine!
                    Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

According to the UPS tracker my new "baby" will arrive on the 23rd...I'll be waiting with polish and a nice fluffy blanket in hand.

Whats the best wood to feed to a newborn saw?
                      Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Originally posted by Rivari
                        According to the UPS tracker my new "baby" will arrive on the 23rd...I'll be waiting with polish and a nice fluffy blanket in hand.

Whats the best wood to feed to a newborn saw?
                        Saplings???
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Today was the day, I stood at the front window with my eyes dialated nine centimeters and there it was, the new baby rolling into the driveway in the usual way via a UPS truck. The delivery went fairly smooth as we had prepared in advance as all good scrolling families would have , just a minor scare with the hand truck but before we knew it, the new bugger was ready to be introduced to the rest of the tool family in the woodshop.

Here are a few photos a the new addition. I haven't yet completed a projet yet but I have one special one planned for my brother who I haven't seen in years (20+ years!) and is currently visiting. I'll leave feedback as to it's performance when I get some time sawing.
                          Attached Files
                          Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Congratulations Todd .

I can't wait to hear how you find the little beastie performs - and it'd be good to see a photo of it with a touch of sawdust lurking in nooks and crannies !

Gill
                            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Congrats on the Saw!!,

She sure does look perdy in that shop, it looks like a nice shiny red sports car between the bench and planar..

One hell of a nice looking shop.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by KarlB
                                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X