safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safety

I was just reading a post from Forester21 in the music thread and I realized I do not wear hearing protection all the time. I do when I am using the router or the thickness planer.
    My question is how many people wear dust masks, have some form of dust collection, wear hearing protection, have first aid kits and fire extinguishers in their shops?
    Another key safety issue is lighting, and a clean shop.....ok I am working on both!
    Funny thing is I am a member of our safety committee at work and although I know I should be saying yes to all these items I honestly dont do it.

Any other safety tips would be good to post in here
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

My Hegner saw is so quiet that I don't need hearing protection - I can certainly play CDs or listen to the radio whilst I cut. If I've got my tablesaw or router on, then I do use hearing protection.

I'll wear a Trend Air Ace mask if I'm doing anything that's going to make a lot of dust, such as using the tablesaw or resawing with the bandsaw. It's handy having a shop vac to hook up to these machines. However, I don't feel I need to use either a mask or a vac when scrolling because the saw's blower expels the dust away from me.

Eye protection? I wear spectacles already. I really ought to wear protective goggles over the top of them, especially when using heavier machinery, but it's rare that I bother.

I don't have a fire extinguisher - yet! Thanks for reminding me about this, Carl. Our first aid kit is in the house which is only about 7 yards from the shop, so I'm not too concerned about that.

I've got two 4' fluorescent lights for my 18' x 8' shop plus a magnifying lens/ light over my work area. Together with plenty of windows, this is more than enough to meet my needs.

My safety tip relates to a point that Theresa raised on a different thread today - don't let sawdust accumulate. I've been told that most shop fires are caused either by sparks going into piles of dust and shavings, or through allowing a build up of dust around machines which prevents the machine from ventilating properly.

Oh, and when I've finished work I always make sure that all tools are switched off at the mains.

All in all, I'm pretty safety conscious but I know I could do more. The thing is that if I spent all my time being safe, there wouldn't be enough time to have fun actually doing the woodwork. Ultimately, it's a balancing act.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

When scrolling I don't wear any hearing protection, like Gill when I am using the planer, router or table saw I always have the muffs on. Safety glasses go on before the radio goes on...anything less would be sheer ignorance. Recently I haven't been wearing a dust mask as it is summer here and the garage door is usually open. In the winter I wear one and I also have a Delta Shopmaster Dust collector that hangs on the ceiling above my workstation (which has done a pretty good job). Fire extinguishers and first aid kits are readily available all around the house, but I do need to inspect the extinguishers, it has been awhile.

My kids are extremly proactive in cleaning the shop...of course their allowance at the end of the week is probably what keeps them motivated. Off topic here but the kids are even doing alot of my prep work now, whether it be sanding or making holes with the drill press. I'll have to start a thread about our favorite shop helpers.
      Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Protection

I wear a dust mask in the winter - it helps keep me warm. Use a Dust-bee-gone mask. Works well. Wear ear muffs only when other equipment is being used. The saw only sounds like a sewing machine and i've never used earmuffs when sewing before so figure I don't need them for scrolling now. We have a Delta air filtration box in the rafters. A vacuum cleaner lives by my saw for regular ckleanups. lso have a neat little dust catchin box under the saw table. As far as a first aid box goes we now have some emergency supplies in a plastic bag on the wall in a couple of areas. (This happeneded AFTER Trevor removed finger pad!!) Fire extinguishers live in the shed and the house. BTW a friend has recently chopped off his left hand from behind the thumb to little finger, with the dropsaw. Has the thumb and two fingers reatteached (lost the ring finger) but its a wait and see game as to haow successul it will be. He's a cabinet maker / turner so its slowing him down in that way but now giving scrollsawing a go - one handed.
        Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

I don't use hearing protection at all. Don't have anything that's all that loud really. Except maybe the router. I have used muffs on that a time or two. Have a dust collector by the saw and I wear a dust mask when scrolling and sanding.
          Unfortunately life doesn't give me near as much time to spend scrolling as I'd like for it to so not everything is set up now like it will be. This lack of time also keeps the dust to a minimum. That can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.
          As far as lighting goes I'm well equipped. I work in the sign industry so I'm able to get High Output ballasts fixtures and lamps very cheap. I have two eight foot fixtures and 1 four foot fixture. All have High Output Daylight lamps in them. So light is definitely not a problem.
          Reading through these posts have given me a list of things to add to my shop that I haven't thought about though. Thanks.

Comment

My saw is louder than my sewing machine so I use the hearing protection whenever in the shop. Definately use it when I am using the sander. Occassionally I will use a cloth over my nose rather than a dust mask. I have glasses so that's all I use for the eyes.
            I definately have to do something with the piles of sawdust. If it was just me down in the shop it wouldn't be so bad, but DH uses the table saw, chop saw, planer, etc....... so all the sawdust must come from him! lol

T
            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

I usually do not use hearing protection when I use my saw,
              however I always wear my dust mask while scrolling or sanding
              I have heard of too many power carvers having lung problems
              due to saw dust exposure over a period of time.Just my opinion.
              Bill
              Delta P-20

Comment

I use a dust mask most of the time when scrolling and sanding. I don't use the table saw for too much so I usually skip the mask. I never wear safety glasses when scrolling or sanding, but always where them when using the router and table saw. I only use hearing protection with the table saw and router if I'm going to be using them for more than a minute or so. My wife doesn't recognize me when I have the glasses, dust mask and hearing protection in place.

I also have one of those magnifying lamps I use for scrolling. My wife bought it for me and it works great. As for dust collection, I hook my shop vac up to the sander but none of my other tools have a dust collection port that's worth a hill of beans.

Dan
                Last edited by Max; 07-02-2005, 09:56 PM.
                Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

I don't use a mask when scrolling and when I blow my nose afterwards I regret it. I use a dust collector with my table saw and my jointer. I don't use -- what did you say? Something about airs? ears?
                  Last edited by PiALaModem; 07-02-2005, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I am reading some of these posts and have become a little concerned how we take for granted the trivial machines. First and foremost safety begins with that big thing resting on your shoulders. Whenever working around any kind of machinery safety is a concern not only yours but others around you. Sure when scrolling a hearing protector is not needed with most saws. But a dust mask is no matter what kind of set-up you have. A vaccuum will not capture all dust and some dust are very irritating. As far as any other tool in the shop goes hearing, eye, and dust protection should be worn and if you do not you have no one to blame for an accident than yourself so do not sue the maker of the tools. Cleanlyness of the work are a big concern. Fire extinguishers are great to have but you must know where they are, how to use them and keep them charged. Disposal of haszardous waste such as finishing rags and such. do not leave them hang around a shop crumpl;ed in a ball. Just asking for trouble.

Working tired in a shop is never a good idea as well as working under the influence of whatever, alcohol , pain meds, or others.

Remember if a task looks dangerous then it probably is so try to find a safer way of doing things.

Most of all think before doing and that can be applied to all aspects of our lives. Because it may not be you that gets hurt but someone else so work safe and let us all enjoy our craft.
                    John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                      Farmers market "survey"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                      I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                      For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                      Today, 11:14 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                      Today, 11:00 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                      Today, 09:57 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Rolf
                      So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                      I like the fact...
                      Today, 08:34 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by will8989
                      Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                      Today, 08:17 AM
                    Working...
                    X