Music in the Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music in the Workshop

Last night as I was making my second attempt on the Big Horn Ram portrait that fell off the truck last week and I got to wondering about music of all things.

Well, seeing how this is the Off Topic Thread I thought I would get a feel of what kind of tunes others listen to (if any at all) as they cut away into the evening.

Myself I am quite partial to having Chris Ledoux playing (thats a country music fella' for those on the other side of the pond).
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Though my main activity is building a "folk" instrument, Ilike a good mix with just a little folk music. If I have to concentrate, I don't like music with lyrics; it draws my attention. If I'm cutting relatively routine lines, I go for anything. The dust in my workshop kills a CD player in a jiffy, so I peg my radio to either WFUV in New York (progressive pop? with a mix of older jazz, blues, country, occasionally Edith Piaf or Petty Bukkah) or WSHU in Connecticut (classical).

Comment

whistle while you work

When I sketch or do pen and ink I like classical music. The rythm of music has an influence on the speed that I draw, if I am stippling I like something a little faster.
      I guess Ravel's Bolero would be good for that or maybe flight of the bumblebee.
      I listen to anythink except maybe headbanging music or negative lyrics.
      My sons room is right next to the shop and he like crooners, jazz and rock, I guess anything goes.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I have a very diverse taste in music. It all depends on what I feel like that particular day. I can go from country to pop to alternative to classic rock to bluegrass to classical. My favorite to listen to though is John Denver. Takes me back to some good memories that I am able to use as an influence on my work.

Comment

I've got two cds in the shop that get regular usage. One is a compilation of punk rock from my youth in the late 70s, the other is a band called 'Strawhead' who are very traditional and who most of you will have never heard of. Anything that's either finger-in-the-ear folk or finger-in-someone-else's-ear punk will do it for me.

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Wow, punk rock Gill! Never had you pegged as a former Johnny Rotten sort...please do not ask how I even know that name.

I suppose that I should have added that Polka is the second most heard music around this house. Only problem with listening to a fast tempo polka is you want to start swinging the beer steins which is none to smart while cutting...sorry that was a cheap plug for the wife's band which by the way have many CD's on sale, if anyone is interested in more info give me a holler. (Geez I'm shameless!)
            Last edited by Rivari; 06-29-2005, 09:03 PM.
            Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

If I'm listening to Music, it is usually the country station. Sometimes I'm in the mood for talk radio, (not much though these days.) Much of the time I have the TV on (small little 12"), I like History Channel, Discovery Channel, ESPN, Golf Channel. I like History the most, I can usually just listen and still pay attention to cutting.

Comment

Okay, Todd. I'll dispell my image by telling you that while I type I'm listening to Kirsty MacColl's There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis .

CDs from a German Bier Halle band eh? Count me in! My collection includes Rosamunde, Kranzerl Polka, Das Goaßbock-Lied and many more. As Johnny Rotten once sang, "I wanna go over the Berlin Wall"! Have you ever seen the woodwork from the Erzegebirge region of Germany (forgive me if I've mis-spelt it)? Those Christmas pyramids are beautiful. I've promised myself that one day, I'm going to go there and watch them being made. Preferably at Christmas so I can indulge in Gluhwein at the same time .

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Classic rock mostly. On Saturdays I like to listen to Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion (mostly for the dry humor). On Sundays it's blue grass and rock.

Dan
                  Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Now that is fretwork! I love the way they integrate the shapes and still get the whole scene in.
                    Originally posted by Gill
                    ...Have you ever seen the woodwork from the Erzegebirge region of Germany (forgive me if I've mis-spelt it)? Those Christmas pyramids are beautiful. I've promised myself that one day, I'm going to go there and watch them being made. Preferably at Christmas so I can indulge in Gluhwein at the same time .

Gill
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

When I'm in my shop, I usually listen to whatever pop music is playing on the station my wife is listening to...but in my office when I'm writing about scrolling, I listen to a variety of music--everthing from Alice in Chains and Soundgarten, to The Cure, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Meat Puppets, Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Evenescense--she's got a set of pipes and I love the minor key most of the songs are in, Native American rythym and chanting, and even this CD called Jazz Wolf--jazz songs intersperced with Wolf Howls--since Wolves are one of my totems...

Bob
                      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Funny you mention the Native American rythym and chanting. I have never thought of that, although I do have some CDs. I live close to some of the best Native carvers in the world, when ever I go by I hear those CDs playing.
                        I will give that a try next time I scroll.
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

With the saw running and the ear muffs on, I can barely hear the telephone ring let alone listen to music!! When I'm not cutting, if the radio is on it is usually country music. No particular musician ~
                          T
                          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Country fan

I like the real country music, - not the modern country rock you hear these days- irish country is great. Bit of a sentimental when it comes to music. Unfortunately the one country station has gone to a lower frequency which I can no longer tune into so its over to an easy listening station. When Trevor's in the shed on a weekend it's sports talkback - kinda got used to that but would rather have the music.
                            Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Originally posted by Little flower
                              I like the real country music, - not the modern country rock you hear these days

Amen to that!
                              Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X