Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bill
    You turn some fantastic stuff keep up the good work
    your tutorial is also great its been a long time since I turned anything (school days) been hinting for a small lathe to try pen turning but no one is taking me on, so I will just have to buy it myself. Just one question for you when you turned the tenon was it just to fit the chuck size or is there another reason for this
    regards
    Robert

Comment

Great project Bill, thanks for sharing
      Bob C

Comment

Just one question for you when you turned the tenon was it just to fit the chuck size or is there another reason for this
        regards
        Robert
        That is correct.
        The tenon at the bottom is just to fit the chuck.
        Of course there is also a very shallow tenon at the top to fit the top lip of the SS liner.

W.Y.

Comment

Bill and Bruce . The screw at the bottom may be there in order for the liner to be used in a different application . If say you were going to put it into a plastic container or if in the future you may want to change the liner to a different exterior . Just a guess . Could ask the supplier .
          Bill . Have you heard anything about the Steel City VS lathe ?
          Great work . I'm enjoying all you post's .
          Roger

Comment

Roger

Bill . Have you heard anything about the Steel City VS lathe ?

I do not know of a single person that is using one of those lathes. Never see them mentioned on any turning board that I visit . That got my curiosity so I checked their site . Here it is and after reading the specs I can see why it is not a popular one .
            Steel City Tool Works - Product Categories
            It lacks features that I would not want to be without like No head lock, no indexing feature , lack of speed choices .

Jet is the most popular mini lathe followed by Turncrafter and Ricon.
            W.Y.

Comment

Thanks Bill. One of the local turners mentioned it to me . I looked at it . It was suggested that the cost was 1/2 the price of the Jet and a good entry level lathe and is available here . The closest available outlet is Seattle but it certainly deserves a trip down . Last Sat I drove to the border with the intention of going to Grizzly in Bellingham and then Seattle . One look at the line up and 2 to 3 hour wait soon changed my mind . That was around 10:30 am . I did some shopping in Vancouver and decided to head home .
              At the Tswassan Terminal @ 3:30 pm , got home @ 10pm .And this is in the fall ? Wonderful ferry service . Should have gone to Seattle . It would be nice to see the Jet vs come on Sale .Next time .
              Roger

Comment

Main reason for border lineups is gas prices . I am 6 miles from the border and I go every week but it is a very small border crossing with never more than a 10 vehichle wait and usually just a couple. 80% of the locals here buy gas over the border. 50 cents a liter there last friday compared to $1.06 here.

I doubt if you will see Jet lathes go on much of a sale. My Jet 1220 has gone up $100.00 over what I paid last year. Reason is rising price of steel and transportation. .
                Amazon.com has about the best prices you will see anywhere.
                As far as the VS part is concerned, the only good VS systems are on the very expensive professional quality lathes . On any of the minii lathes they rob power considerably. Still good for pens and small turnings but eventually a person wants to get past the pen turning stage and turn some bowls and larger things .
                In my earlier days of turning I had a jet 1014 and when they came out with the 1014VS I got one thinking it would be a big improvement. What a mistake that was . Same motor on both lathes but way less power on the VS one. There have been many discussions on my WWF site about that .
                Save your extra hundred dollars it costs for VS over six speed and put it into some good turning tools . I change speeds in seven seconds on my lathe and VS for me is a disadvantage rather than an advantage. I have had experience both ways and I see the VS as just a advertising gimmick for the manufacturers in the mini lathe sizes. (all brands)
                Of course on the big professional lathes they use an entirely different system and have full power in variable speed throughout the speed range from lowest to highest.
                W.Y.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X