8 Stave Construction Coffee Mug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Stave Construction Coffee Mug

I turned this yesterday morning. It is walnut and cherry. I have been applying the coats of finish between now and then before taking pictures.

Here it is almost finished . Six coats of poly on the outside and one heavy seal coat of poly on the inside.

Only thing left to do now is to give the finish a few more days of curing and then give it a three stage Beall buffing. ..

W.Y.

Bill, that came out beautiful! Love the look of the two woods together!

Bobbi

Comment

Thanks Bobbi;

I had a hard time taking the pictures because of the high gloss on the finish . No flash and in the shade helped.

I was lucky that there was some birdseye figuring in the cherry wood in that one.

It was hard to show it in the picture but in the hand, the bottom birdseye shows a dogs face .

This is the way that one started out rather than using one solid block of wood.

Last edited by William Young; 10-29-2008, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Bill,

That is a beautiful coffee mug. Almost too pretty to put coffee in it. NOT.

Denny
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Well, I finally downloaded some software to enable me to make tutorials in pdf format and got up enough nerve to try it out.

It still needs some tweaking but this is my first attempt at making a pdf tutorial . Of course I have now installed it into my Woodworking Friends Tutorial board.

http://www.byoung.wynndel.ca/PDF's/T...S%20Insert.pdf

Hope this helps anyone that wants to make some and it sure would be nice if you would post a picture of them if you do.

W.Y.
          Last edited by William Young; 10-31-2008, 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling typos

Comment

Mug { One Classic Coffee Mug }

Bill : One fine job on this project , the two woods just add so much to the design of this . The picture looks good , its hard to take a picture with out getting some glare too . Good job their old buddy !!!!!! Marshall
            Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Originally posted by William Young View Post
              Here it is almost finished . Six coats of poly on the outside and one heavy seal coat of poly on the inside.
              Bill,
              I finally picked up a couple of kits to give these a try. Two questions for you:

1. If you put a seal coat of poly on the inside, aren't you afraid of condensation from the hot/cold liquids accumulating inside? I would think that if it was unfinished, the condensation would be dissipated in the wood.

2. The liners have a mount on the bottom of them with threads tapped in and a screw that looks like it was intended to go through the bottom of the wood and into the threads to secure the liner. I don't see anything like that in your pictures and was wondering if you opted not to use them.

Thanx for the help . . .
              Bruce
              . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
              visit sometime
              Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Great job ---as always Bill.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hi Bill,

Great project and great tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

--Rob

Comment

Very nice, Bill

Were the cup parts from a kit?

Comment

Thanks for the tutorial Bill, very well done and easy to follow.

Alan.
                      Alan and Rafi.

In our house, if you have to bend over to pet a dog it ain't a real dog!

Comment

1. If you put a seal coat of poly on the inside, aren't you afraid of condensation from the hot/cold liquids accumulating inside? I would think that if it was unfinished, the condensation would be dissipated in the wood.

2. The liners have a mount on the bottom of them with threads tapped in and a screw that looks like it was intended to go through the bottom of the wood and into the threads to secure the liner. I don't see anything like that in your pictures and was wondering if you opted not to use them.
                        Not sure about the seal finish on the inside. I was told to do it that way by someone that has made dozens of them.

I have never seen a kit that looks anything like that with threads etc. The ones I use have a small protrusion on the bottm and is sealed into the inside bottom of the wood with epoxy.

I sold that one for $45.00 in the first half hour of a craft sale this morning . One went to Texas last week for $39.00 and I still have one at $35.00. Difference in price is the difference in the wood and type of construction.

Very nice, Bill

Were the cup parts from a kit?
                        Yes the stainless steel parts are from a kit. They are on sale right now at Woodcraft.

Stainless Steel 16 Ounce Travel Mug Turning Kit - Woodcraft.com

W.Y.
                        Last edited by William Young; 11-08-2008, 05:21 PM.

Comment

wow that is beautiful, I wouldn't want to ruin it by putting coffee in it
                          Erin
                          Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by William Young View Post
                            I have never seen a kit that looks anything like that with threads etc. The ones I use have a small protrusion on the bottm and is sealed into the inside bottom of the wood with epoxy.
                            Bill, this is what mine looked like . . . I assumed that the screw was intended to go through the bottom and secure the liner <although I'm not sure I'd like the looks of that>. Did the "small protrusion" on yours have threads inside?
                            Attached Files
                            Bruce
                            . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
                            visit sometime
                            Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Bruce.
                              I see what you are referring to now about the threads in that protrusion. These old eyes did not notice threads until you pointed them out.
                              However, I think it is just some kind of a fancy half round nut that they have spot welded on there for something for epoxy or silicone to anchor into.

There is no screw supplied with the kit and there is no mention of using one in the instructions . Here they are .

http://www.byoung.wynndel.ca/PDF's/Coffe%20Mug%20Instructions.pdf

I would think a screw in from the bottom would not only look bad but would create a place for leakage between the inner and outer liner. .
                              Here is all it says about securing the liner
                              Secure the liner in the mug using epoxy or glue under the lip of
                              the liner.
                              which would probably be sufficient but I prefer to epoxy it into the bottom as well.

BTW, I sold that one for $45.00 about half an hour into a craft sale yesterday morning. Sure glad now that I had saved a picture of it.

W.Y.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X