Micro gouge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro gouge

I broke one of my micro gouges recently and am looking for a replacement. The ones I have now came in a set and I do not want to go that route again. I am looking for something like a #11 veiner in .5 or 1.0mm. I have seen pictures of a couple but I want one that has a shaft as thin as or thinner than the gouge itself. I use these tools for getting into very tight areas and a thick tool just will not work. Any recommendations?
    Paul Guraedy
    Whooping Hollow Woods
    Alpena, ARkansas

Re: Micro gouge

check at littel shavers (Rick)
    http://www.littleshavers.com/index.html

or the woodcraft shop (Larry Udis)
    http://thewoodcraftshop.com/

one of them should have what you are looking for

Comment

What you are looking for is made by Stubai; it is a 1mm extra deep veiner.
      The shank is tapered from tip to handle allowing "drilling" of deep holes easily.

I no longer carry the 1mm.
      Check with Stubai Direct; you can find them in any carving magazine.
      http://www.stubaidirect.com/
      Price from Stubai $27.95

Comment

These could be Dockyard micro gouges. Smokey Mountain Woodcarvers carries them. Rick may, I'm not sure.

http://www.woodcarvers.com/

Comment

Yes, Rick at www.littleshavers.com has Dockyard.
          So does MDI and Woodcraft.
          I'm a giant Dockyard fan but you all are making the Stubai sound mighty interesting.
          And I need some more tools.

Comment

Dockyard is what I broke, but only the veiner. I do not want to buy another whole set to get the one tool. I have tried to find a good photo of the stubai but cannot find one. I am concerned that the shank be as thin or thinner than the gouge. May just have to order the stubai and take a chance.
            Paul Guraedy
            Whooping Hollow Woods
            Alpena, ARkansas

Comment

Paul - by now you know that you can't rely on much I say about tools ... I DO try, but ...........
              Anyhow, I 'think' the smallest Dockyard veiner is 1.5.
              I think their veiners come in 1.5, 2, 3, 4 & 5 mm.
              If you need the 1.5, let me know and I'll mail you one. I have several sets of Dockyard and I rarely use the 1.5.

Comment

I think you can buy a whole set of the Dockyard for not much more than the cost of the 1 Stubai
                The Stubai are great tools though
                I have never seen the Dockyard sold individually though the ones I have seen were always in a set

Comment

Paul I picked up a set of Ramelson micro's a few months ago at a carving show for $32 from The Woodcraft Shop. They were also selling single tools and they are what you're looking for. If Rick doesn't have them, try http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/
                  My Site Missouri Ozarks

Comment

Thanks Nancy. I use these small tools a lot and may just go ahead and buy the stubai. Although the Dockyards have done me well, I have been extremely careful with them. Think I will see if the Stubai is a little more substantial.
                    Paul Guraedy
                    Whooping Hollow Woods
                    Alpena, ARkansas

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• hotshot
                      Reply to Conclusion of Hydralic Press Story
                      by hotshot
                      I'll go back and try a light emboss, my main intent here was to stand at the other side of the room and watch the pressure gauge from a distance, and see if it would go full force without leaks, so pressing through a 2/4 wasn't really the plan. A pin size leak at 10,000 psi is a very very dangerous...
                      Today, 10:21 PM
                    • Jim McDonald
                      Reply to Conclusion of Hydralic Press Story
                      by Jim McDonald
                      Glad you got repaired and I am intrigued by the embossing idea.
                      Today, 07:27 PM
                    • RJweb
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by RJweb
                      Betty, I see you are working the night shift again, good luck on your next farmers market, RJ...
                      Today, 05:45 PM
                    • hotshot
                      Conclusion of Hydralic Press Story
                      by hotshot
                      So, before I traveled to a larger town to find a place that could help me with my hydraulic hose connection, I took the advice of one of the members here and called around to a few auto-parts stores. The stores I called didn't do that kind of thing, however they directed me to a store here in town that...
                      Today, 05:28 PM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                      by Rolf
                      The auto darkening helmet is a must have in my opinion, especially for the home hobby welders. if you are a pro and do it all the time maybe not.

Couldn't agree more Rolf. The helmet has been a game changer for me.
                      Today, 08:39 AM
                    Working...
                    X