Micro gouge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro gouge

I broke one of my micro gouges recently and am looking for a replacement. The ones I have now came in a set and I do not want to go that route again. I am looking for something like a #11 veiner in .5 or 1.0mm. I have seen pictures of a couple but I want one that has a shaft as thin as or thinner than the gouge itself. I use these tools for getting into very tight areas and a thick tool just will not work. Any recommendations?
    Paul Guraedy
    Whooping Hollow Woods
    Alpena, ARkansas

Re: Micro gouge

check at littel shavers (Rick)
    http://www.littleshavers.com/index.html

or the woodcraft shop (Larry Udis)
    http://thewoodcraftshop.com/

one of them should have what you are looking for

Comment

What you are looking for is made by Stubai; it is a 1mm extra deep veiner.
      The shank is tapered from tip to handle allowing "drilling" of deep holes easily.

I no longer carry the 1mm.
      Check with Stubai Direct; you can find them in any carving magazine.
      http://www.stubaidirect.com/
      Price from Stubai $27.95

Comment

These could be Dockyard micro gouges. Smokey Mountain Woodcarvers carries them. Rick may, I'm not sure.

http://www.woodcarvers.com/

Comment

Yes, Rick at www.littleshavers.com has Dockyard.
          So does MDI and Woodcraft.
          I'm a giant Dockyard fan but you all are making the Stubai sound mighty interesting.
          And I need some more tools.

Comment

Dockyard is what I broke, but only the veiner. I do not want to buy another whole set to get the one tool. I have tried to find a good photo of the stubai but cannot find one. I am concerned that the shank be as thin or thinner than the gouge. May just have to order the stubai and take a chance.
            Paul Guraedy
            Whooping Hollow Woods
            Alpena, ARkansas

Comment

Paul - by now you know that you can't rely on much I say about tools ... I DO try, but ...........
              Anyhow, I 'think' the smallest Dockyard veiner is 1.5.
              I think their veiners come in 1.5, 2, 3, 4 & 5 mm.
              If you need the 1.5, let me know and I'll mail you one. I have several sets of Dockyard and I rarely use the 1.5.

Comment

I think you can buy a whole set of the Dockyard for not much more than the cost of the 1 Stubai
                The Stubai are great tools though
                I have never seen the Dockyard sold individually though the ones I have seen were always in a set

Comment

Paul I picked up a set of Ramelson micro's a few months ago at a carving show for $32 from The Woodcraft Shop. They were also selling single tools and they are what you're looking for. If Rick doesn't have them, try http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/
                  My Site Missouri Ozarks

Comment

Thanks Nancy. I use these small tools a lot and may just go ahead and buy the stubai. Although the Dockyards have done me well, I have been extremely careful with them. Think I will see if the Stubai is a little more substantial.
                    Paul Guraedy
                    Whooping Hollow Woods
                    Alpena, ARkansas

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• planeur
                      Reply to My covid angel
                      by planeur
                      Rolf when you say taper from right to left, do you mean thinner near the body and thicker at the end of cloud as on the wing ?
                      And on each cloud touching the body ?
                      I had already sand some part , will show show soon!

Thanks

Yesterday, 09:22 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by will8989
                      I did that with Creative Woodworks. But when Bruce's group had their monthly meetings and swaps, somehow or other the ones I didn't buy ended up here! I keep all my holiday ones separate. But I also look at other patterns and think how I can reuse it. But sometimes that is just too much for my brain...
                      Yesterday, 12:27 PM
                    • Don in Brooklin On
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by Don in Brooklin On
                      Since I refuse to subscribe till they do something about the patterns in the pull out. They even made the DVD tough to print patterns.

What I do is look at the index of the book on scrollsawer.com and if see something I might want to cut I go to Walmart and check out the book. If I like...
                      Yesterday, 11:59 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Absolutely everyone here has made valid points. That's part of what I've liked about this group.....different view points and different ideas. And we respect the diversity. You people rock!
                      Yesterday, 11:24 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by NC Scroller
                      I too miss Bob Duncan. I do not think anyone from FC has taken over that role at least on this forum. If they have I am not sure who. Like Betty, I owe a lot to FC and this forum. If it was not for them and this forum I would have probably turned my saw into a boat anchor years ago. Oh how I looked...
                      Yesterday, 11:22 AM
                    Working...
                    X