X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Purchased Carving Stock

Comment

Re: First Purchased Carving Stock

I kept a 2' thick x 24' square piece of Mahogany in my garage in Northeast Texas for the last 6 months and it shows no sign of movement. Regretably, neither do I.

Comment

Wow! I'm impressed, I been carving four years (mostly winter time, summers off) and I'm still not prepared to 'purchase' wood like mahogany.
        For those who don't know, many of the pallets and shipping crates that come from Asia are made of mahogany.
        They use it over there just like we use white oak. It won't be top quality but you can still salvage a lot of wood if your willing to put in the effort.
        A friend of mine works for Caterpiller and often gets mahogany boards up to six feet long and about 1/2 to 3/4' thick and 4 to 6' wide.
        If you know of a company that imports from regions that grow mahogany, you might be able to pick some up for FREE!!!
        grumpy560

Comment

:-/ well, there is Mahogany and then there is mahogany. The pallet stuff is really coarse grained and probably not kiln dried. I got a load of the packing crate variety and ended up building a dog house out of it. Also, I bought my Mahogany from an older carver who had to liqidate his wood and tools because his vision got so poor. He gave me a great bargain on the stuff. I paid about $12 for that slab of Mahogany. I'm still afraid to touch it!

Comment

Of course the pallet wood is coarse, (thats why they used it for pallets) but sometimes someone messes up and uses a board that could be used.
            Bet it made a nice doghouse. Exotic wood- low price. Still had a use though, right?
            grumpy560

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• alexscrollsaw
              It is so cute (Christmas deer)
              by alexscrollsaw
              "It is so cute" - it is the first what I hear when I show this project. I haven’t done 3D patterns for a long time (about a year), it’s quite difficult and takes a long time. But I don’t regret the time I spent on this new pattern - Christmas deer, I think it turned out great. It is...
              Today, 02:03 PM
            • markdavd
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by markdavd
              I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
              Today, 09:45 AM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
              Today, 07:42 AM
            • will8989
              by will8989
              None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
              Today, 12:20 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              by Linda In Phoenix
              What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
              The bags seem easier on the surface.
              But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
              Yesterday, 03:24 PM
            Working...
            X