glue question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glue question

I am making lamps that consist of different types of wood, spalted maple, basswood, maple and cherry, that will be all glued together. I planned on finishing each piece of wood first with tung oil before assembling and glueing.

Does anyone have any experience with glueing oiled wood, and any recommendations on a specific type of glue?

Re: glue question

Try Gorilla Glue. I think I read on the lable that it will work on oiled wood.

Comment

I don't have the answer, but I do have a question.
      Why would you put oil on the wood BEFORE you glue up? I'm sure that this sounds like a silly question, but I have never heard of doing it this way. Is there some sort of advantage to doing this? ???
      grumpy560

Comment

I thought that it would be easier to finish each section of the lamps first, as they would be easier to handle with the basswood block part totally chipcarved on 5 sides. I didn't want to take the chance of damaging anything when I put them together and thought that if they were finished first, it would also give each piece a little more protection. I'm just a beginner carver, and am learning along the way. I appreciate any help that the 'pros' can give me. I will look for Gorilla Glue and read the label, hopefully it is available in Ontario

Comment

??? ??? ??? A lot of ads tout the merits of gorilla glue and lots of people must use it with good results. When i used it i didn't like the way it foamed up almost like that foam insulation you use to fill cracks. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad to scrape that stuff off a clean furniture joint, but it might prove more difficult to get it out of details on a finished carving. Say you were using it to attach a duck head you could scrape it off then do your detailing. But on those lamps if they were chip carved FIRST, then you have to deal with getting that foamy mess out of the crevices. If you use it, maybe you could cover the carved areas with masking tape.

Comment

I would suggest you try epoxy on a practice piece that has been oiled. You can use the quick set if waterproofing is not an issue. I haven't tried it on oiled wood but have used it for years and it is very strong. It also dries clear which is a big plus. I have tried gorilla glue and can't imagine using it on the project you describe. It is pretty tough to cleanup. Whatever you try try it on a practice piece FIRST. It will cut down on surprises.

Comment

Just clean the edges to be glued with naptha. Then use gorilla glue. This will help push the oil out of the surface of the wood and allow bonding.

8)
              --&&Brian E&&

Comment

Kaiserb:

So you think Gorilla Glue would stick. How do you propose to deal with described foaming that results when you use this glue. If you have a method to get that stuff out of a chip carving, i'd like to hear it.

Comment

Boy, this sounds like something you would NOT want to finish in oil! Have you thought of using a good sanding sealer, lightly applied, then finishing with several light coats of a spray satin poly finish?

If you're bound and determined to use an oil finish, I'd try applying the oil very carefully on only the front exposed surface, leaving the portion that you will be gluing oil free. I've had very good result using Elmer's Carpenter's glue. (not the white general purpose stuff) Even if you can't clamp the pieces, if you can hold them tight for just a few minutes, this ECG has a short 'tack time'. hold it till it tacks, set it aside for about 20 miutes, and then come back and do the same with the next piece. Of course it's a LOT better if you can arrange some type of clamp until the glue sets.

Hope this helps some, and good luck!

Al

Comment

[/quote]
                    --&&Brian E&&

Comment

boy all..... I didn't mean to start a ruckus : Thank you to all who gave suggestions.

I wanted to finish it in oil as I wanted the natural colour of the different woods to show through nicely. I also wanted something that would seal the chipcarved area and protect it. I don't really like using a polyurethane spray, and have not had much luck with applying with a brush.

As for finishing the individual pieces after glueing and carving, it would be too cumbersome to handle to carve all put together, and I wanted to protect each piece before trying to put it all together...... I'm a rank beginner and thought this would be the best way

Comment

Sorry, KaTit for gettin stuck on this glue issue. Maybe i ought to change my name to Gorilla Girl? Humm.....Naw And Kaiserb, i didn't mean to get my feathers ruffled. But i once used it on a bear carving. Went away to let it dry and came back and it looked like the bear had developed hydrophobia!!!!! There were foam globs all over the texturing. The info about cleaning it up with toulene is good to know, though and the method you described would probably work in KaTit's situation. As for my Gorilla glue, it went back to Woodcraft for a refund. Keep carving, and happy Spring, everyone.

Comment

8)DING!

End of Round 1!
                          Fighters back to your corners!

Ain't this message board Grand?

Comment

in defense of the gorilla it is a fine product for the right application. It's bonding strength and waterproofness make it an ideal adheasive for things like glueing up a few boards for carving an outdoor sign or cutting-boards that must be washed. Something to watch for in the future is all polyurethane glues (at least those I have used) foam like the ape. :P

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X