Tom Wolfe Mystery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Wolfe Mystery?

[sup] degree angle. The result in the photos looked like a vee-tool had been pushed into the wood (&gt while at the same time the 'floor' was cut too. I'm trying to understand so I can grind my own. :-/

http://shop.woodcraft.com/woodcraft/...355&pf_id=
    --&&Brian E&&

Comment

Re: Tom Wolfe Mystery?

If all else fails, punches can be made from tubing available at hobby shops. I made a couple and they work fairly well. The tubing comes in a variety of diameters in either brass or alum. The materials are soft enough that you can shape them to suit. I just cut the tube to length, sharpened the inside edge with a stone on my Dremel and epoxy it into a piece of dowel for a handle. They work okay on basswood but might be too soft for a hardwood, although I haven't tried.

Comment

I have several round punches made from short pieces of a golf club shaft. The material in the shaft is actually very hard and makes a good tool. They can be inserted into a round dowel rod for a handle. I happened to come across some material used to make these shafts before it was welded into a tube ( it is 5160, 1% chromium, .60% carbon) and used it to make a small carving knife. It hardened up to about Rc 62 and I tempered it in my oven at 425F. Cuts bass wood endgrain very well.

Comment

I made eye punches in a variety of sizes by drilling into the end of a piece of cold-rolled steel rodthen grinding the OD to whatever size I required. I heat it up with a torch (CAREFUL- not too much!) and press it on the piece while moving the handle in a small circle. This produces a rounded mound in the center which can be painted for the eyeball.

Comment

Did I miss something? I thought that woodcutr was looking for info on making a detail tool that (this is how I understand it) makes a cut that looks something like a birds foot.
            How did we get on eye punches? ???
            grumpy560

Comment

Yeah! I read KaiserB's reply and, being old and feeble, I forgot what the original question was. Thanks for keeping us on the right track Grumps...

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gary beasley
                  Reply to What do you think?
                  by Gary beasley
                  I tried a house vac once for a dust collector. It was prone to clogging the lines and when I tried to put a cyclone can on it the vacuum collapsed the garbage can.
                  Yesterday, 09:29 PM
                • Gary beasley
                  Reply to Vases
                  by Gary beasley
                  I found this pattern in Steves catalog and freehanded a vase form. This one may appeal to the folks that bought the butterfly vase.
                  Yesterday, 09:25 PM
                • Trackman
                  Reply to Vases
                  by Trackman
                  Sorry took so long to answer. The brown vase I added butterfly instead of doing wood burning. Wanted to keep them so they would appeal to several people. I sold all of them to a flower shop....
                  Yesterday, 05:13 PM
                • Bill Wilson
                  Reply to My lucky day!
                  by Bill Wilson
                  Being younger than 65, with no qualifying health conditions, I don't anticipate getting a vaccine for some time. My wife works for the school district, so she may be eligible in the next phase. President Biden says that supply will be sufficient for all US adults by end of May. I'm hoping that proves...
                  Yesterday, 04:16 PM
                • MidMich324
                  Reply to What do you think?
                  by MidMich324
                  Will a shop vac work for the table saw?.
                  Yesterday, 11:26 AM
                Working...
                X