Tom Wolfe Mystery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Wolfe Mystery?

[sup] degree angle. The result in the photos looked like a vee-tool had been pushed into the wood (&gt while at the same time the 'floor' was cut too. I'm trying to understand so I can grind my own. :-/

http://shop.woodcraft.com/woodcraft/...355&pf_id=
    --&&Brian E&&

Comment

Re: Tom Wolfe Mystery?

If all else fails, punches can be made from tubing available at hobby shops. I made a couple and they work fairly well. The tubing comes in a variety of diameters in either brass or alum. The materials are soft enough that you can shape them to suit. I just cut the tube to length, sharpened the inside edge with a stone on my Dremel and epoxy it into a piece of dowel for a handle. They work okay on basswood but might be too soft for a hardwood, although I haven't tried.

Comment

I have several round punches made from short pieces of a golf club shaft. The material in the shaft is actually very hard and makes a good tool. They can be inserted into a round dowel rod for a handle. I happened to come across some material used to make these shafts before it was welded into a tube ( it is 5160, 1% chromium, .60% carbon) and used it to make a small carving knife. It hardened up to about Rc 62 and I tempered it in my oven at 425F. Cuts bass wood endgrain very well.

Comment

I made eye punches in a variety of sizes by drilling into the end of a piece of cold-rolled steel rodthen grinding the OD to whatever size I required. I heat it up with a torch (CAREFUL- not too much!) and press it on the piece while moving the handle in a small circle. This produces a rounded mound in the center which can be painted for the eyeball.

Comment

Did I miss something? I thought that woodcutr was looking for info on making a detail tool that (this is how I understand it) makes a cut that looks something like a birds foot.
            How did we get on eye punches? ???
            grumpy560

Comment

Yeah! I read KaiserB's reply and, being old and feeble, I forgot what the original question was. Thanks for keeping us on the right track Grumps...

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X