Monkeywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monkeywood

Hi All, A friend gave me some monkeywood. I am not familiar with it. Is it toxic or nasty in any way? Any hints would be great. Thanks

Re: Monkeywood

I am not familiar with the toxicity of the wood, but I would imagine it gets fuzzy when irritated with a knife!

Comment

I just spent a couple of hours searching the web for information, and didn't find much at all. : I don't think it is toxic because it can be put in a container with salamanders and newts for them to climb on. Also I saw a lot of references to sword and knife handles made from monkeywood.
      I hope that was helpful ???

Donna
      Indiana USA&&http://pyrogite.tripod.com

Comment

Donna is correct, there is very little information available on Monkeywood. I bought some about a month ago but have not used it yet. I assume that you should take the same precautions as you would working with any exotic wood.
        Most sites that give information on wood toxicity are using industry studies from cabinet shops and furniture manufacturers; where exposure is intense.
        I wear a respirator and run my dust collector when sanding or sawing wood. Exotic or domestic, wood dust is not good for your lungs. :-X

Comment

:P Huh. And all along I thought monkeywood was those short, brown, wrinkly things you find on a jungle floor.

Comment

--&&Brian E&&

Comment

Hey... is this related in any way to that snipewood I've been hearing about?
              ??? : ???
              ~Andrew&&King_of_Blades

Comment

I think you might be reffering to Monkey Pod

'Pithecellobium saman'

A beautiful shade tree, introduced to Hawaii in 1847, with large trunk and very broad arched crown of dense foliage. Trees can achieve heights of 50-75 feet, with a relatively short trunck of 2-4 feet in diameter.

Sapwood of the monkey pod is yellowish and the heartwood dark chocolate brown to golden brown with darker streaks. The wood is moderately hard, lightweight and fairly strong. Monkey pod is resistant to decay and drywood termites. The wood shrinks very little and takes a finish beautifully, thus making great looking furniture and bowls.

More can be read here:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/si...bium/saman.htm

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                  Reply to New tools
                  by jim_mex
                  Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                  Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                • Hobbyhorse
                  Reply to New tools
                  by Hobbyhorse
                  Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                  Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                • Hobbyhorse
                  Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                  by Hobbyhorse
                  Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                  Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                • KarlB
                  Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                  by KarlB
                  Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                  Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                • KarlB
                  Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                  by KarlB
                  Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                  Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                Working...
                X