Wood toxicity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood toxicity

:'( The beginning carvers have stumbled onto the subject of wood toxicity. I know that I have a chart around here someplace. There should be a page on it in WCI, but maybe it was just in the Power Carving freebie I got with a 2 yr. subscription. Some of that innocent looking wood like walnut, can kill you if you're power-carving without a mask and/or dust collector. pineyknot

Re: Wood toxicity

Hey, just examine the trunk for termite holes. If it isn't killing them, it shouln't hurt us, right? Right?

:P
    ~Andrew&&King_of_Blades

Comment

Re: Wood toxicity

A good book with plenty of information would be Identifying Wood by Bruce Hoadly. Alternately you can check www.osha.gov and search the CFR 29 for wood exposure limits.

For some quick advice if you carve domestic wood (wood grown in US) you are probably ok. If you get into wood from South America etc you are getting into tropical plants that are sometimes toxic.

As for Walnut being poison, walnut shavings are actually toxic to horses, and therefore most farmers do not want any unknown wood chips for the horse bedding.

Believe it or not potatoes that are not ripe (greenish) actually are mildly poisonous.
      --&&Brian E&&

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
          Old Tool - Reborn
          by tgiro01
          With all these new tool stories, I was working on and old one. About 9 years ago, I built a router table. Then, before it was finished, I had to start using it. And I have used it over the years. A couple of months ago, While I was contemplating cleaning, I looked at the machine and decided to finish...
          Today, 03:24 PM
        • Rolf
          Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
          by Rolf
          I do remember that 2011 Wow, you were gutsy building that then, CNC was just coming into the home environment. Are you still using the one you built?
          Today, 10:23 AM
        • Rolf
          Reply to Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?
          by Rolf
          Jim that is why there are now CD's available for past issues. To me a copier/scanner and printer are a necessary part of my tool inventory. JMO...
          Today, 10:19 AM
        • Jimern
          by Jimern
          I dropped my subscription long ago, so maybe I should not chime in, but I dropped it mostly due to the pattern pull out.

I do not have a flat bed scanner, nor do I want one, so that is my issue.

But the result is that if I cut a pattern to scan, I have also cut the parts of...
          Today, 07:55 AM
        • Quartz43
          by Quartz43
          +1 on NC Scroller's suggestions. I would add that on appropriate patterns stop using the grey as it would make it easier to copy.

It says a lot if Fox Publishing does not comment on an issue like this. Even if they said they are aware that people have concerns and are looking into it...
          Yesterday, 08:15 PM
        Working...
        X