Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DRILL POWER VS. STD. MOTOR

I stsrted with a Dremel with their flex shaft four years ago. I was able to do almost anything you could want to with it. You will find the drum sanders the most useful. I recomend you clean the spring shaft and coate it with a thin coat of STP, STP is made for high rpm's and high heat, it want pack down to the handpice and dry out like grease. I did that with mine four years ago, now I check it once a year and if needed I re-do the STP.

Leave a comment:

• Gravel_Girl
    replied

You can make a decoy using hand tools for the roughing out.
    A drill can be used with a drum type sander to smooth your carving. It is underpowered, but better than working by hand. I used a drill before acquiring a Woodhog carver that will use 1/4 inch shaft rasps and sanding drums.

A friend of mine likes to use a die grinder from Sears. They are about 99.00. They accept the quarter inch shafts and have a higher rpm than a drill.

A good carver can do more with inadequate tools than bad carver can do with top of the line.

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Bandaid
    replied

Ditto. I also found a set of 20 1/8' shank diamond bits of various size and shapes at Harbor Freight. On sale they were about $15, regularly about $30. They do a fine job of detailing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

8) Ditto! I'd stick with the Dremel. They also sell a flexible shaft attachment for a reasonable price.

Leave a comment:

• pineyknot
    replied

I think I'd stick with the Dremel for carving & use the drill for drilling. Dremel also sells one or two shapes of kutzall burrs as well as two sizes of drum sanders on the 1/8' shank & the prices aren't that bad either. Pineyknot

Leave a comment:

• JOHNNY_H
    started a topic WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DRILL POWER VS. STD. MOTOR US

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DRILL POWER VS. STD. MOTOR US

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X