Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DRILL POWER VS. STD. MOTOR US

Re: WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DRILL POWER VS. STD. MOTOR

I think I'd stick with the Dremel for carving & use the drill for drilling. Dremel also sells one or two shapes of kutzall burrs as well as two sizes of drum sanders on the 1/8' shank & the prices aren't that bad either. Pineyknot

Comment

8) Ditto! I'd stick with the Dremel. They also sell a flexible shaft attachment for a reasonable price.

Comment

Ditto. I also found a set of 20 1/8' shank diamond bits of various size and shapes at Harbor Freight. On sale they were about $15, regularly about $30. They do a fine job of detailing.

Comment

You can make a decoy using hand tools for the roughing out.
          A drill can be used with a drum type sander to smooth your carving. It is underpowered, but better than working by hand. I used a drill before acquiring a Woodhog carver that will use 1/4 inch shaft rasps and sanding drums.

A friend of mine likes to use a die grinder from Sears. They are about 99.00. They accept the quarter inch shafts and have a higher rpm than a drill.

A good carver can do more with inadequate tools than bad carver can do with top of the line.

Comment

I stsrted with a Dremel with their flex shaft four years ago. I was able to do almost anything you could want to with it. You will find the drum sanders the most useful. I recomend you clean the spring shaft and coate it with a thin coat of STP, STP is made for high rpm's and high heat, it want pack down to the handpice and dry out like grease. I did that with mine four years ago, now I check it once a year and if needed I re-do the STP.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
              Today, 10:32 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by Sandy Oaks
              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
              Today, 09:46 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by NC Scroller
              I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
              Today, 07:42 AM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
              Today, 07:39 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              by Linda In Phoenix
              I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
              Yesterday, 10:01 PM
            Working...
            X