Router Question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Question??

I made a frame for a relief carving I did and I wanted to set in the relief in the back side of the frame. I routed a groove in the back and the router seemed to burn the wood alot. I haven't had that much experience routing wood. Is that typical?? I wanted to dress up the front side of the frame but left it smooth, fearing random burn marks on the wood. Is my bit to dull? Any comments are appreciated. Skratch

Re: Router Question??

it's been my experience that moving your router
    too slowly will cause the burn marks.

Comment

Comment

Re: Router Question??

The problem you are having might be that you are trying to make to deep of a cut. If you make many shallow cuts rather than one deep cut it many take care of the problem. Another thing you might check is weather you have a bit with a bearing guide or just a fixed stud guide. I hope this helps.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
          Reply to Tough Decisions
          by Bill Wilson
          Well, unfortunately, I have also decided to let my subscription lapse. I've been debating it for the past couple years. It isn't so much the money, but it's more the disappointment when yet another issue has so little in it that really appeals to me. The final straw was this past Fall/Winter edition...
          Today, 09:51 AM
        • planeur
          Reply to My covid angel
          by planeur
          Thanks to all !😀 Your comment are very good and make sense!

My piece is 8"X8" X 1/2" thick.
          I though when I cutted the piece to do it in 1 piece or 4/5 , but after a while I decided to do it in one piece and carved it to have a 3D aspect.
          Was it a good idea.....?...
          Today, 09:45 AM
        • Rolf
          Reply to My covid angel
          by Rolf
          Great designe! I would have gone a bit further than Linda, Scott and Gladefade I would cut it into more pieces to make shaping easier. Taper the clouds from right to left, taper the wings so that they are lower where they attach to the body. Taper the neck so that it looks like it is going into the...
          Today, 09:02 AM
        • Rolf
          Reply to Tough Decisions
          by Rolf
          The never ending dilemma. I only get two magazines SSWWC and Wood carving Illustrated. Even if I don't make something in every issue there is usually something in each one that I have never tried and that will either challenge or inspire me. Yes I know that I do test cutting for them and they have occasionally...
          Today, 08:49 AM
        • NC Scroller
          Reply to My covid angel
          by NC Scroller
          I would start by tracing your piece on a piece of 1/8" (3mm) material and then cut the back our such that it is a fraction smaller that your project. Then I would cut your piece into two pieces. I mean cut the angel from the cloud. I would then put the cloud on the 1.8" backer and then with...
          Today, 07:27 AM
        Working...
        X