No announcement yet.

Electromagnetic Gear clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes they have. What are you having a problem with Bobman? I know that Dick Bipes sold many electronics kits.
    It is hard to know how many unless people post pictures.
    Last edited by Rolf; 06-25-2017, 07:21 AM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf I haven't got as far as the electrics yet my problem is the Pawl eccentric the drawing show it having a 3mm hole for a grub screw for the 3mm rod but not for the 4mm hole should there be a grub screw for both holes
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Looking at the image and on the pattern the pawl is upside down. It is correct in the exploded view on pg 53 in the book and pg 61 gadgets and gizmos. You need the set screw to lock it to the pendulum Shaft Z. The other end should be a press fit as the Advancing Pawl D just pivots on it. I have attached a couple of PDF files. One has a modified pawl eccentric with a bit more wood around where the set screw goes.
        The other has a new base design. After the article was published Dick Bipes made some suggestions regarding the electronics and battery size. He recommended using D cells for longer run time.
        So I designed the base to accommodate the kit he provides. The 4 AA's I used ran fine And I never tested how long they ran before replacement.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Rolf; 06-26-2017, 09:13 AM.
        Rolf

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply Rolf So shouldn't they both be 4 mm holes in pawl eccentric or am I missing something thanks bob

Comment

I think we got some Alfreds and my drawings mixed. Shaft BB should be 3mm and the hole in the Advancing Pawl D should be a loose fit 3mm. The Pawl excentric 4mm hole with the set screw goes on Z Pendulum pin and the Brake pawl E should be a loose 4mm fit on Z also.
            Rolf

Comment

Thanks,Rolf,I think I've got it now ill let you know how I get on I am,waiting on some tubing and steel rod also had a bit of trouble getting the bearings had to send to China for them but hopefully I'll be making some progress soon

Comment

Bobman not sure what bearing sizes you need but I have had good luck with VXB they ship quickly and stock a lot of sizes. VXB.com is their website.
                Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

If you purchased the "making Wooden Gear clock" book this special sources list was dropped from the original article. This is where I got all of the parts. Like Tim said VXB is a good place to go for bearings.Special part sources.jpg
                  Rolf

Comment

I'm in the UK and postage from the usa is very expensive plus you get hit import taxes

Comment

If you have any difficulty finding something that stops your project let me know.
                      Rolf

Comment

Rolf,

I just recently started on this clock and I know this is an old post, but if you can help I would appreciate it.

The problem and the place I am stuck is the tri excentric (J). Looking at the plans and your PDF drawing on this forum I am really confused as to how this works. I see that the plans call for the tri excentric (J) to be 3/8” diameter but part G, S and K have a 9mm diameter hole. My question is upon looking at the assembly drawings, does part J fit into G, S and K? I don’t see how they can because 3/8” is a bigger diameter than 9mm.

Am I missing something to how the tri rotates around the daisy?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Jetavi8er, I will send you a Private Message with my e-mail. It will be much easier for me to send you pictures etc. The file sizes are too big for the forum.
                          Rolf

Comment

I recently received a heads up on a mistake in the instructions for the Electro Magnetic gear clock. This is on page 60 of the Making Wooden Gear Clocks Book. It is amazing to me that I never caught it and that no one else has either since the book is in its 5th printing. The error is in red corrections in blue.

Electromagnetic Gear Clock printing error. On page 60 in the fifth printing of Making wooden Gear clocks. Annotated in red

"Use the assembly drawing to put together the clock components. Slide the face support screws through the holes in the frame (A) through the face support sleeves (KK), and into the face threaded inserts (JJ). Then press the minute hand onto the TRI Eccentric (J) and press on the front cap (RR)

It should read:
                            Use the assembly drawing to put together the clock components. Slide the face support screws through the holes in the frame (A) through the face support sleeves (KK), and into the face threaded inserts (JJ). Then press the Minute Hand (R) onto the Center Wheel Sleeve (FF) and press on the front cap (RR) on to the Axel (EE).
                            Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X