Electromagnetic Gear clock?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electromagnetic Gear clock?

DSC_8931 (380 x 600).jpg Did anyone build this clock featured in the Gadgets and Gizmos issue?. I am looking for feedback on weather or not anyone has had problems building it.

Last edited by Rolf; 05-16-2017, 05:52 PM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

My problem with it was actually getting the circuitry. I enquired of the supplier that was mentioned in the article but was unable to secure one.

Comment

Dick Bipes from the Carve shop is where I got them?. http://www.carveshop.com/html/electronics.html.

He has changed a few things from what was available when I design the changes to this clock. He increased the battery size fro 4 AA to 4 D cells (longer run time) and used a bigger magnet. I have since redesigned the base to accommodate the larger batteries but runs fin with the smaller ones. The design changes will be in the next printing of the clock book.
      I just built a mock up of just the pendulum and the electronics to test the different size magnets and batteries with the supplied electronics.
      Every combination ran fine. Obviously the bigger batteries would give you a longer run time. I may consider making it so that I could plug in a wall pod 6 Volt supply, but aesthetically I prefer the free standing version.

Rolf

Comment

I looked and looked at it and have it on my to do list. I did lots of searching, and had the same problem as Hobbyhorse, and I was a little shocked at the price of the for the parts. I know it was not a lot in the scheme of things, but I was building only for fun and decided I didn't want to invest that much. Seem like I remember making a little electromagnetic motor in some shop class in junior high school. Like wrapping some wire around a nail or something..

I love the look of the clock, think it would be fun to build, and may still do so if I can succeed with the wooden gear clock I am currently working on.
        AKA Paul from Washington State
        22" Hegner.

Comment

Aside from the supply issue, the cost of getting the circuitry to New Zealand was a bit of a surprise and I then found a circuit diagram for a DIY one which I attempted to make up. My skills were not up to the task and I could not get it to work and it now languishes in the "I must get around to that someday" basket.

Dick Bipes did say that he was refining the circuitry and it would soon be available but finally I did not hear back from him.

Comment

When did he say that? I could never get the first circuit I built to work the one I got from the original designer, I later found out neither did the clock designer. That was when I purchased just the PC board from Dick as I had access to all of the components. That worked fine and still is.
            It will be interesting to see what Dick comes up with now.

I wish there was some way we could help out or international friends with some of these shipping issues.
            Rolf

Comment

I was in contact with Dick shortly after the magazine, with the article in it, was first published.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• turtleteasers
                Reply to Triangular Pieces
                turtleteasers
                [What blade for this?]

I used a Pegas 2/0 skip tooth blade for this and all my 1/4" plywood puzzles. Any 2/0 blade will give similar results, as long as it is a simple blade which cuts only on the down-stroke. I stick with Pegas because I have found them to be consistent....
                Today, 12:16 PM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Triangular Pieces
                Rolf
                Lots of Wow's here also. What blade for this?
                Today, 10:20 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Black lacquer
                Rolf
                Are you thinking spray or brush? If it is a big grain you will need to use a grain filler, I have never used a filler so can't help much there. This may help a bit.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...k_Lacquer.html
                Today, 10:16 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Kitchen cabinets officially started today!!!
                Rolf
                Looking good! What will you do with the shelf edges?
                Today, 10:11 AM
              • campasano
                Reply to Whirligig
                campasano
                Rolf, I use White pine or Cedar but the most important aspect is the painting technique. I always put on a white primer, use fine steel wool to remove imperfections, Apply exterior outdoor paint, rub fine steel wool after each application when dry and final finish I apply clear poly ( spray can )...
                Today, 09:59 AM
              Working...
              X