wooden clock wont run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wooden clock wont run

hi i just finish my clock and the bob w'ont swing for more than 1 minute or so . i dismantle all the clock check the gears on the plan ok it turns well when the weight is not on nothing binds but when the weight is on it stops.

oh yes the fishing leader on the bob i am not sure about it. Does any body have a part number or a brand to buy?

and the way the string is winded on the wheel for the weight am not sure about

help me please i do not want to put it in the trash after putting so many hours building it

thanks Paul.

Hi Paul,
    Here's a whole thread on the clock...Marc Tovar has been offering advice here.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/pub...dback/9063.htm

Bob Duncan
    Technical Editor
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Stay with it

It sounds like you have a friction problem. As Marc states in his article the friction will kill the clock. Keep on trying to get it running. Everytime the clock stops mark all of the gear teeth and pinions that are associated with each other. Take it apart and sand and polish each gear and pinion that seem to be stuck. Make sure that you don't have any finish on the gears and pinions, they should be as smooth a a baby's bottom. Make sure that you have burnished all of the shafts, spacers and bushings, no burrs on anything. When you tighten your hands, be careful that you don't pinch the minute and hour hand bushing. That will cause your clock to stop. When your clock stops, study it. I had a misalignment with the second wheel (due to some sloppy cutting of the spacers) and it binded with the ratchets. Recutting helped that problem. After some take aparts, some sanding, rebuilds on the spacers and put back togethers, the machine is keeping good time.
      Stay with your clock, have patience and don't give up. Your clock will run like a champ and everytime you look at it, it will be a look of awe. Check out the clock forum for more advice that other members have posted.
      Anything worth doing is worth doing right -
      Originally posted by polopolo
      hi i just finish my clock and the bob w'ont swing for more than 1 minute or so . i dismantle all the clock check the gears on the plan ok it turns well when the weight is not on nothing binds but when the weight is on it stops.

oh yes the fishing leader on the bob i am not sure about it. Does any body have a part number or a brand to buy?

help me please i do not want to put it in the trash after putting so many hours building it

thanks Paul.
      Steve
      Dewalt 788/with EasyLift

Comment

Don't put it the trash just sell it for art that what I will end up doing if I can not figure this out.

Comment

I built a similar clock, MLT 7, and had the same problems. I polished all teeth with a felt wheel on a dremel. That made a huge difference. Also, the clock is very sensitive to being in beat. Hang the clock and start the pendulum. When it stops, check on which pallet the clock stopped on. Move the bottom of the clock horizontal 1/16 inch toward the side it stopped on and try again. Finally, hang a 2" clamp on the weight and see if it runs longer. If so, you may have to add more weight and/or recheck for friction. You might have to file a tooth on the escapement wheel or a pallet.

For heavens sake, don't give up. The design works, it's just a devil in the details of your clock. You'll be sooooo proud when it does run.

Comment

Originally posted by polopolo View Post

thanks Paul.
            Hello Paul.
            I have included a small change to the plans which reduces the friction substantially. I have inserted brass tubing in all the axle holes. Select tubing at the hobby store which just fits over the 1/8" diameter steel rod you are using for the axles. Also I made the Escapement axle bearing in the rear frame float so any misalignment front to back of the frames would not cause this axle to bind.

Hopefully that helps.
            Calvin
            Calvin

Every Project is only practice for the next one.

Comment

Add Brass Axle Bearings

Originally posted by polopolo View Post

thanks Paul.
              Hello Paul.
              I have included a small change to the plans which reduces the friction substantially. I have inserted brass tubing in all the axle holes. Select tubing at the hobby store which just fits over the 1/8" diameter steel rod you are using for the axles. Also I made the Escapement axle bearing in the rear frame float so any misalignment front to back of the frames would not cause this axle to bind.

Hopefully that helps.
              Calvin
              Calvin

Comment

It is sad to hear you are encountering this problem but for heavens sake don't toss it out you have worked way to hard to give up now. You've come this far you can figure this out with all the help being offered here I'm sure.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I feel your pain

I bought parts and did assembly tried the rebuild thing 4 different times then took it down so I dont look at it any more

Thanks Mark

Comment

clock, dont

Hi, dont toss in thrash i got bidder 1 , il pay fair wages for your time, i love wooden clocks even they dont work,Everett.

Comment

Clock won't Run? Maybe the pallet is in backward

My clock would not run, so I looked closely as it ticked. I noticed that it seemed to be giving the pendulum a push in the wrong direction. A closer look at the pallet showed that it was installed backward.

The left "tooth" end should be angled up to the left so it will give a little push to the pendulum.

Have a look.
                      Calvin
                      Calvin

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                        The bags seem easier on the surface.
                        But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                        Today, 03:24 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by will8989
                        Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                        Today, 10:32 AM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                        Today, 09:46 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by NC Scroller
                        I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                        Today, 07:42 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        by NC Scroller
                        I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                        Today, 07:39 AM
                      Working...
                      X