What is the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference?

I am looking at Gary Browning's Scroll saw Portraits book 1st edition i guess. then i see online that there is a second edition. what is the difference? is it the amendment he has on his website? wondering this because i am thinking about buying this book and Kerry NF's tutorial for a friend of mine that has just had foot surgery and i think he would like to look at it. Just to let you know if anyone has the chance to buy Kerry's tutorial do so great step by step and very easy to do if you want an example i will post a pattern i did with his tutorial in a matter of minutes just imagine if you actually spent time on it.

Jesse

I have no relation to kerry just used his tutorial
    http://www.scrollsawwoodart.com

Maybe you should post this as a question to Gary Browning??
    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

I should do that

thanks
      Jesse
      http://www.scrollsawwoodart.com

Comment

Browning's patterns are geared toward spiral blades which some hate, others love but all seem to agree take some extra practice to master. If your friend is just starting out, you might want to consider another pattern source unless, of course, you mostly want his book for the tutorial.
        Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
        Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Just a difference of opinion Mike

I have cut several of Gary's patterns with a standard blade.
          When I first started scrolling, my mentor taught me to enter a piece of wood, pivot 180 degrees and come out the same line I entered in.
          When I first started it wasn't pretty, but after a short time I found I could spin the wood around by using my fingertips.
          Gary does prefer spiral blades and talks about them through out the book.

I would cut any of his patterns I have seen so far with either a straight or a spiral. The funny thing is my mentor hates spirals

It is a completely different cutting technique that's for sure.
          I also find that many of Gary's patterns have fewer cuts than is the trend these days.
          His tutorial in the beginning of the book is great.
          It covers everything from selecting the right picture to choosing the right software. He also explains how to make patterns without software.

IMHO he is the Daddy of portraits.
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

[QUOTE=CanadianScroller]Just a difference of opinion Mike
            QUOTE]

That's a quote from a seasoned scroller. I agree some of his patterns can be cut with either spiral or flat, others seem to me unsuited for a flat. Case in point: the Marine near the end of the book. Those numerous craggy facial lines will take a lot of wood manuvering to follow all the dips and tight turns if you want to be true to the pattern. I wouldn't think that's a pattern for a novice with a flat blade.

BUT...you never know. Everyone's talent develops at different rates. I've seen some posts on this board by beginners that belie their status. Bottom line...it's the thought that counts in purchasing a gift for a friend.
            Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
            Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Well said Mike.
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X