Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two sided puzzle box question

Dave / Rolf,
    The article says that the box blank width should be twice the thickness, yet in the materials list it shows a 2"x3"x3" blank (which is also the measurement of the pattern). What am I missing?
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Bruce I have cut several of these boxes and only one was the size of the pattern. Basically when you cut the two sections apart they have to be able to fit under your saw so that you can cut the lid and the bottom. So if you have a 3 inch square piece of wood 2 inches thick when you cut the two sections apart you will have 2 sections that are 1 1/2 inches wide, which should fit under your saw. Most saws can handle up to 2 inches thick but that varies. This has been my experience with these. Dave / Rolf can answer better than I can.

DW
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

Comment

DW You said it very well. My boxes were 2x3x3 because I had some. The Hawk handles the thick wood very well. BUT the saw has to be properly setup and you must take your time cutting, making sure not to push sideways and use a fresh blade.
      I did cut it a bit differently on a couple of the boxes, I need to take a couple of pictures so my explanation is clear.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanx, guys. I understand what you both are saying. I guess my point was that the beginning of the article implied that the 2:1 ratio (width:height) was important ... "The width should be twice the thickness" and then the pattern didn't match that admonition. I was just looking for clarification.
        Bruce
        . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
        visit sometime
        Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Small box of oak

I made one 70 mm x 70 mm x 45 mm from a piece of oak. I think you can make it the size you like. It is a very nice pattern and big fun to make it.
          Attached Files
          Just living is not enough said the butterfly. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. (Hans Christian Andersen)

Scroll Saw Projects

Comment

Very nicely done. The article mentions that this is an easy box to adapt. I too made some that were not to the specifications in the article. I like your choice of wood. Thanks for sharing it with us.

DW
            Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
            John Wayne

Comment

Angelika,
              you are very brave cutting that in Oak. It really looks great.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X