problem with collapsible basket pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with collapsible basket pattern

I am using collapsible basket patterns by rick and karen longabaugh. When i cut the spiral i have to open the spring to get the bowl to colapse properly am i doing something wrong . I used the right blade and the bevel is correct ?????

Confused

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    I am using collapsible basket patterns by rick and karen longabaugh. When i cut the spiral i have to open the spring to get the bowl to colapse properly am i doing something wrong . I used the right blade and the bevel is correct ?????
    Please explain "open the spring" so I am clear what you are asking. I have made several collapsible baskets lately using the Longabaughs Collapsible Basket Patterns book. I can confirm what I read in another thread or book review: the table angles shown in the book don't always give satisfactory results. I now cut a couple circles in the waste area of the wood using different table angles. That really helps visualize how the basket will expand.

BTW what wood thickness are you using?

Comment

Harpone has it right. You have to do a test on a scrap of the exact same thickness as the piece you are going to use. Don't trust the angle guide on the saw to be as exact as you need. The other problem is that the Longabaugh's don't tell what brand of blade they are using. I have found that for a given size of blade, the kerf can vary by several thousandths of an inch from brand to brand and that makes a difference when you try to expand the basket.

george
      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Hi I just inherited the collapsible basket patterns Longabough book from my dad and was going to try them out, when looking through the book I noticed that page 4 was missing which is the general instructions does any one have a copy of that page? I have tried make a couple of other collapsible baskets but after cutting them out they dont even open up so not sure what I did wrong followed the pattern and the instructions even the same size blade so I guess you just keep trying and dont give up.

Laura

Comment

Laura -
          Cut some circles at different angles out of the wood you are using. Longabaughs' instructions don't tell you what wood thickness or saw blade brand to use and following their recommendations exactly didn't work for me.

I scanned page 4 but haven't figured out to send it in this format. If you send me (private message suggested) your email address I will forward it to you.

Comment

If it doesent open reduce the angle.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

There was an article in one of the older mags with a pattern for this test piece. I have made several marking them with the blade I used. They are glued to keep them together. It is a great reference, and you can see that even at 2.5 deg there is not much of an offset using an Olson Mach3. If I did the same cuts with say a PGT5 the offset would be greater because the blade cuts a wider kerf.

As stated above do not trust the accuaracy of your saws angle gauge. I usE A Wixey or the attached homemade guide.
              Attached Files
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

This is one instance where size does matter!! If your wood is 1/16" of an inch thicker or thinner, everything will change. If the blade isn't what they use for cutting, it will change. ALWAYS make a practice cut first on the same piece of wood you are cutting with the same blade you will be using. This angle guide is the best. I use the exact same one all the time.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jimern
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by Jimern
                  The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                  Today, 06:29 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by will8989
                  The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                  Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by will8989
                  Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                  Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                • tgiro01
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by tgiro01
                  Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                  Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                  Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                Working...
                X