This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for Carole Rothman

I'll be happy to answer any questions posted here about my book, bowl making, or most anything else.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Hi Carole,
    Can hardly wait for my copy of your book to arrive.
    My question is about sanding the inside of the bowls with the inflatable round sander tool. I am going to order one of these and I wonder which grits you use so I don't buy unnecessary ones. Sanding has not been my forte and I always feel I am doing an unnecessary amount of it because I just guess at the correct grits. I usually go 80, 120, 180, 220. Any suggestions?
    Rod in Molalla Oregon happily cutting with a DW 788

Comment

I too am interested in the sanding tools you use. I went looking for the flex-pad sanders and couldn't decide what you were using. Maybe pictures would help or even links to Klingspor's. Whatever makes sanding easier is better!
      DeWalt 788

Comment

For the inflatable sander, from King Arthur tools, you'll need the ball, a pump, and assorted grits. There are only 4 different sleeves, and it's actually cheaper to get an assorted pack or two to start. They last a long time, and I still use the original ball I bought.

Klingspor's Woodworking Shop has the most user-unfriendly menu I've ever seen. It took me forever to find what I needed back when I didn't even know its name. If you enter "flexi-pad" in the search box on their home page, it will take you to the right place. I use the regular firmness non-tapered pad in a 2" size. The grits come in 10-packs and 50-packs, and I use the ones with fluted edges, which makes it less likely to gouge the wood. You can always cut off the flutes if you need a straight edge. They attach with a hook and loop system.

Make your first bowls from softer woods like aspen, poplar or mahogany so you can get used to the sanding. Harder woods are much more time consuming, even though they work out really well.

I will start posting more detailed information about the equipment I use on my blog, now that more people will be using the book. If you haven't already done so, access the video I made for FCP from the blog--I has a post that links you right to it.

Hope that answers your questions--please feel free to ask any others that come up. Thanks.
        Carole

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
          Klingspor's Woodworking Shop has the most user-unfriendly menu I've ever seen. It took me forever to find what I needed back when I didn't even know its name. If you enter "flexi-pad" in the search box on their home page, it will take you to the right place.
          Thanks for the information Carole. I have to agree about their menu which is a shame. I actually could not find it on their site originally but I did a Google search and found it, there and elsewhere. I think the search I used was
          'inflatable round sander." Anyway it looks like a very handy tool.

Comment

Just a quick update on the inflatable round sander. I found that they are incredibly useful inside the bowl. A couple of little issues like when releasing air to change sandpaper it is not as convenient as loading pretty much any other sander I own. Takes a couple of minutes of messing around, poking and prodding to get everything realigned. Several ball sanders would be handy to reduce this lost time but the cost is prohibitive. Just my opinion.
            The Flexi-pad sander is a joy to use. I like the 3" on the outside of the bowl and the 2" for the inside. The hook and loops make them very fast to change. The starter kit comes with 10 of each grit but the color coding duplicates itself so it impossible to tell at a glance which grit you are using. Seems like an obvious oversight but other than that I couldn't ask for more.

Comment

Thanks for the input, Rod.

I can change sleeves on the ball pretty quickly now. I just loosen the nut, tilt the stem to release the air, pull off the sleeve, tighten the nut, slip another sleeve on, and pump it up. Bit of a procedure, but it's invaluable when you start doing petals and other shapes like that.

I use an index card file to keep my 2" sanding discs sorted, otherwise I can't tell the difference either--works very well. I find it useful to code the sleeves for the ball, with dots inside, or I get confused when then get covered with dust.
              Carole

Comment

Thanks Carole and yep I have already started marking the grits inside the sleeves. As you say it is hard to tell when they get dusty. I am getting faster changing paper. I do believe this clever device is a great tool and that they will sell a heck of a lot more of them when the price reaches a more reasonable level. My local Woodcraft store does not carry them although they do have the Flexi-pad sanders. I can color code the grits for the Flexi-pad myself but it seems like such an easy thing for the manufacturer but we do what we have to do.
                The thought occurred to me that a Flexi-pad type sander could be made in the same shape as the round ball with a nut to expand the sander to mimic the air inflation thereby doing away with the whole pump up thing.

Comment

Well, Rod, I see a patent in your future . . . . .
                  Carole

Comment

Not me, I am too lazy. If somebody will make them and sell them at a reasonable price I will be the first one in line to buy it though...

Comment

Carol i found the flexi pads and will get the 1-2 and 3" set. but when i search for the kling-on disc,i only see them for 9"'1" and 1 1/2" .I don't see any disc for the 2 and 3 " pads?? Am I looking in the wrong area??
                      1" HEAVYWEIGHT 150 GRIT H&L DISC 10PK

Item:
                      KD10005 Your Price:
                      $ 3.75
                      i don't see that the flexi pads come with the hook and look disk ? please direct me to the right area
                      Thanks Robin

Comment

item numbers would be great! You are right that klingspor is hard to navigate!

Comment

Hi Robin,

Sorry you're having a tough time finding the sanders. Fortunately, I have the item numbers from the Klingspor catalog which should help.

If you are just starting out, I'd suggest that you go with the 2" pad. I still find the 3" too hard to control, and the 1" is so small the velcro doesn't hold the discs on firmly. I like the pads with vertical sides. I tried the ones with sloping sides, and found that they did not hold up as well. The Hook & Loop Pad, 2" is #FP50200, and costs $12.95. It is firm enough for shaping, and with a light touch, is fine for final sanding. To go with the pad, order an assortment of 10 packs of scalloped discs. The specific grits to use depend on the wood you are using, but get some that are coarse (60-KD50051 or 80-KD50052), medium (120-KD50054 and 180-KD50056), and fine (220-KD50057 and 320-KD50059). You may need a 400 on occasion, but you can usually finish up with hand sanding. The scalloped edges help prevent gouging, but if you find them interfering on occasion, just cut them off.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information, and good luck!
                          Carole

Comment

Carole - I want to thank you for giving us so much information! and down to the item numbers too - THANK YOU!
                            I just got my book, and am anxious to get started. I still have to finish up a couple other projects before I can tho -
                            T
                            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Theresa,

I'm only doing what I wish would happen more often. Three years ago, when Gary McKay's box book came out, I picked up some errors, and for various reasons, it took forever before I could get the corrected versions. I eventually did, and there were good reasons for the delay, but it was frustrating nevertheless. So, I'm using everything available to me--forum, blog, email--to answer questions as they come up. I'm sure errors in the book will inevitably emerge, as well as confusions, but at least I'll be in a good position to clear things up.

When you do get started, don't forget to post pictures!
                              Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X