X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for Gary Browning

Hi everyone,
    Gary Browning will be stopping in from time to time--when he has any extra time <grin>. So if you have any questions for him, feel free to post them here!

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Thanks to SSW

Thanks Bob,
    Only to happy to help when I can. I have been tasked with a great workload but still try to find time to help a scroller or two out. I am not to familiar with all the graphics programs out there to make portraits from. Each one has its own way of working. I pimarily use an older program that only operates under the Win 98 platform called, "Adobe Photo Deluxe 2.0". I hear great things about Adobe Photo Shop and some scrollers have started up a tutorial to get you started with the program on portraits.
    Gary Browning

Comment

Welcome Gary

Wlecome Gary. It is nice to have you here. I am a member of your ScrollSaw Portraits group but I havent been there in awhile. So many projects so little time. I know you prefer using the software you are familiar with. I just wondered if you or any members of your group have had any successs with the program "Me On a Pumpkin". It looks perfect for doing portraits.

Thanks
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Photo to wood adhesive

Originally posted by BobD
        Hi everyone,
        Gary Browning will be stopping in from time to time--when he has any extra time <grin>. So if you have any questions for him, feel free to post them here!

Bob
        Good Morning: Unable to get a photo to adhere to wood to then cut as a puzzle. Any suggestions? Thank you very much. Roy Simpkins, Raleigh

Comment

Hello Carl

Sorry for the late reply Carl.
          I have taken a look at that program. Its a nifty little program for a basic likeness of a subject. It lacks the features to really bring a picture to life but for pumpkins you really cannot get to intricate with the cuttings because the rine of the pumpkin will rot and fall off if not fall off while you are cutting it.
          The program itself may have the ability to create better patterns for what we do. I have not tried it.

Gary Browning

Comment

photo to wood adhesive

Roy,
            Have you tried to spray a very heavy coat of temporary bond spray adhesive to both the back of the photo and the surface of the wood and then apply them together right away?
            Gary Browning

Comment

Gary,

Wondering what dimensions you cut your portraits out at. I recntly got the civil war pattern book of yours however you make no mention of wood size. I would like to start a few of these and mat them in an 11x14 frame.

Comment

Portrait size

Hello Troy,
                I matte mine also at 11 by 14 inch. What I do is cut the wood the same size as the printing paper that comes out of your printer and use a hot glue gun to glue the finished piece to the back of the matte and the black felt to the back of the wood while its still turned over. This way if the frame does not have a deep rabbit you can still bend the cardboard backer in and make it fit and work. If you get a slight buldge in the back of the picture use a wire hanger instead of a sawtooth hanger. They are easier to level and with a wire hanger the top lifts slightly forward and the buldge will not effect it at all.
                Hope this helps some,
                Gary Browning

Comment

Question for Gary

Gary I was reading an article you have posted here and got the link from another site actually that started asking about a Jet scrollsaw. I read the article you have here and it states you have a 1985 Jet saw. I never knew Jet made a scrollsaw and was wondering if you can give a little review of the saw. Do they still make this saw because I have not seen one and go to alot of woodworking shows. How big is the saw, what was the cost, can you post a picture?? Did the saw have bushings or bearings?? What kind of blade holders in it. Thanks for the reply.
                  John T.

Comment

Hello JT,
                    To my knowledge Jet no longer makes scroll saws. They still service the parts. I know because I requested some. Its an industrial machine and the parts are expensive. Even the little ones.LOL
                    Powermatic makes an identical machine so they must have bought the rights to it from Jet or just have a very simillar scroll saw. Here is a link to check out the details of it.Mine is nearly identical. This one weighs in at 214 pounds. Mine must have a beer belly because it tops off closer to 350.
                    http://www.i-55.com/portiers/newmach...scrollsaw.html
                    Here is a small and quick write up of my personal saw:
                    http://www.angelfire.com/md2/creativewood/myscroll.htm

It works like a piston with a ball bearing crankshaft and is lubricated automaticly by a sealed oil splash system.
                    I get a true up and down motion of the blade with no rocking. No price is set on this one but I am sure its well in the $1-2,000.00 range or more. Mine was purchased off a man that wanted to clear out his basement and no longer used it. I got it at a steal for around $400.00.
                    Gary Browning

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Browning
                      To my knowledge Jet no longer makes scroll saws.
                      Let me update you !

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/4/p...saw-365272.htm

Gill
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

That pic that Gil posted looks like the saw made by Rexon industries for at least a couple of brands (Craftsman and Dremel). If the one you saw said made in the USA it's definately an older one. Keyboard malfunction here, so forgive the missing letter. et's tools are made in Taiwan now. Powermatic is part of the same company as et. It's their high-end brand. Kevin
                        Kevin
                        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Gary

Thanks for the look and the info. Nice work in your site also. You always did nice work. That saw by jet is not made any more and the one by powermatic does look exactly like it. The 16" model by Jet looks like a hundred models under different names. It is made in the UK and wonder why it is not sold in the states. Now I saw an article while poking around and it had "NEW" written across the top. Do not know how long that article has been there but maybe this is a new saw we will see. With all these tool companies selling out you do not know who makes what any more. Evidently there is a division of Jet in Switzerland and some of those tools are totally different then the ones sold here such as their lathes. They also have a cabinet table saw that would give any of the ones here a run for their money. Getting back to the original saw that has some weight coming in at 300 pounds. No cement bags needed there. That saw would last a life time. Nice find on that one Gary.
                          John T.

Comment

A good friend of mine has a saw which looks so close it could be a twin. It is a Delta Milwaukee and was made in the 40s. It takes two people to lift it.
                            The oil bath keeps things running extremely smooth.
                            It has a 24"throat.
                            I have used the saw many times before, the blade tensioning system does take some getting used to and I wouldn't recommend it for intricate fretwork, only because it takes quite some time to re thread the blade and reset the tension.
                            It does run extremely smooth though, you can place a nickle on its edge and run the saw, the nickle will remain standing.
                            He basically stole his saw too $250 Canadian at a garage sale.
                            I do like the true up and down motion of the blade. the weakest link to me was the blade tensioning system.
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

That does look like my girl Carl.LOL Thanks for sharing. Gary

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X