Woodburning forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodburning forum

??? I wonder if anyone else might like to see a forum on woodburning? I use my burner to enhance some of my carvings but I also burn some of the relief patterns as framed art (i.e., no carving, just pyrography). Anyone interested?

Re: Woodburning forum

I too ave used a simple burning iron to bring out the detials on some of my carvings. Yes I would like to see a forum on tips and techniques of woodburning.

Comment

OK, then lets just start one right here. The webmaster can set one up if we get a good dialog going. I have a Detail Master IV with up to 100 watts of power. However, any setting over about 7 (it goes to 10) and it is hard to tell which is being burnt faster, the wood or my fingers. I already have the overpriced rubber grips and they don't work. I should mention, I use the replaceable tip pens as the fixed tip pens are equally overpriced although I would be they are cooler. Does anyone have a solution to hot fingers?

Comment

Sounds like a good idea for a forum. I am away from home for a while but would like to follow up with it when i get back home.

The Moonraker

Comment

as far as hot fingers,turn the heat to 4 slow down,burn at an 45 degree angle,that lets the heat excape upwards and not at your fingers,i can't speak about the replacable tips as i use fixed.when you slow down your burning speed,you save the tip from exess pressure this also keeps your tip from wearing faster.

Comment

:P Well, I will give it a try but to get a really black burn, I need the higher heat. I found that high heat created a very dark spot with a brown halo around it and this was perfect for creating dragon skin ( see the new issue of WCI for the pattern). This may be a good lesson for those considering the purchase of a wood burning system: 100 watts may be too much power to really use. 35-50 watss may be sufficient unless you have asbestos fingers!

Comment

[img]URL[/img] Sounds like a great idea for a fourm!
              I have been considering a wood burner, I currently
              use a 'hobby' burner. Anyone have comments on the
              Colwood detailer, or the Optima 1? After reading the last post,
              it sounds like you can have too much heat.
              Chips Happen
              Rando

Comment

:P I tried lowering the heat to 4 and just could not get the black burn I wanted, but my fingers did stay cooler. Regarding the Colwood and Optima burners, I'm sure they all work very well, it's like your personal choice of carving tools. I stumbled onto a 'heated' discussion on the choices and a lot of Colwood people felt that the manufacturer of the Detail Master overstated the actual power available. They also said that the type of connection from the transformer to the handpiece allowed too much power loss. I can assure you that the Detail Master Sabre IV has more power than you can use and that some of the heat does dissapate through the connections....and into your fingers! At higher heats, this means you work for 10 minutes and turn it off to cool down.

Comment

I have used a Detail Master for several years and it burns as hot or as cool as you want. The aluminum handpieces are hot no matter where you set the heat dial, even when you use the optional o-rings they offer for 'hot burners'. The fixed tip handpieces work well (except for the heat) but I have had problems with the ones with removable tips. They are even hotter than those with fixed tips and, due to poor design and product failure, take a long time to change the tips.

I purchased a cable and several plastic or graphite handpieces from a different manufacturer and they work fine and stay cool. The problem is I have a number of removable tips for the Detail Master and they won't fit the other handpiece! But after burning for a while I found that I only use a couple of tip styles anyhow.

Comment

I just got done burning some morning glories and humming birds on a table I built my wife for Christmas (OK I am running a bit behind). I used my Detail Master 3 at about 5.5 setting.
                    I can't imagine what I would have to endure to burn at 10. I use fixed tip pens. Happy New Year!

Dave

Comment

Moonraker, whose handpieces did you purchase? I may have to do the same thing.

Comment

The handpieces are by 'Nibsburner'. They look like graphite and have a cork band around the area where you hold it.

I have found that the setting number will vary with the type of wood you are burning, the speed you move the handpiece, how dark you want the burn, what other electric items are on the circuit you are connected to and what color you underwear is! Even two 'identical' machines may give a different heat at the same setting. I usually burn around '4' and when I start a new project I burn a few lines on the bottom of the base to make sure I am not too hot. You can always go back over a light burn, but char is there forever!

Comment

I use my burner when the carvings are finished to remove all the small burrs left behind from the carving knife. This method cleans up all the details and makes them look much better. I also use a detail master set between 5 and 7.

Comment

Cap't. I think a pyrography forum is a great idea. I would definately find it interesting.

Comment

Hi All,
                              I think I used to be a member here a year or two ago, but I just signed back up today.  I am a burner and a carver, and have used the detail master for about 4 years.  I can use it on any temperature setting, but only because I made a doubled leather sheath for each pen (solid state)  It fits from just above the burning tip all the way up to the vents.  I had tried the replacable tip pen first and had nothing but trouble until the pen unit failed completely.  I love the solid state pens.
                              I hope that helps someone!

Donna

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Today, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Today, 06:38 PM
                              • Jim Finn
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jim Finn
                                The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                                Today, 04:48 PM
                              • MidMich324
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by MidMich324
                                Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                                Today, 03:57 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                                Today, 03:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X