Posting Attachments With Thumbnails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting Attachments With Thumbnails

I have been playing around with this today, and I think that most folks will find that the method the new forum handles attachments is much better than the old one. The biggest improvement, IMO, is that you can adjust the size of your thumbnail, and you can also move your thumbnails to various parts of your post (instead of them all just appearing in a row),

There was discussion today about using the camera button to share photos, which Bob has gotten to work, but for some reason comes and goes for me.
    I have found that using the button on the top right (looks like a paper clip on a sheet of paper) works consistently well for me, and also gives the option of placing thumbnails.

Here is where it is located:

posting attachments 2.png

I just used that button to attach that screenshot as an attachment.

Now here's the cool part......once you click on the paperclip button, you'll see two buttons: "Upload Attachments" and "Upload from URL"
    If you wish to upload a pic from your computer, click on "Upload Attachments" and then you will have to browse through your files to select the picture you want (how this occurs will depend on the type of device you are using and what kind of Operating System it has). It should be an easy process, however.

Now check this out.....once you select your picture, the new forum will give you the option of displaying your picture as various size thumbnails. When any of them are clicked directly, the viewer can see the full size picture. I always thought the in-post thumbnails in the old forum were too small, at least for my aging eyes, LOL. At least now you have the option of making them a little bigger if you wish.

The other neat feature is that once you upload your attachments, you can move your cursor to your nascent post, and move them around/insert text between them (sort of like MS Word).

Be sure to resize your pictures prior to uploading them. Bob has mentioned that they should be 2MB in size or smaller.

So.........this all works well for me, but can everyone else play around with it as well? Just want to make sure it works well for mods and members alike.

You can practice either in this thread or one of the various "test threads".
    Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Let's try a few thumbnails:

This is "thumbnail size":

a IMG_3898 reduced.jpg

This is "small size":

a IMG_3898 reduced.jpg

This is "medium size":

a IMG_3898 reduced.jpg

This is "large size":

a IMG_3898 reduced.jpg
    Shawn Ferguson

Comment

You can see that by clicking on one of the smaller thumbnails/attachment images, you will be able to see the full sized version. The last one I have won't get any bigger, because I had already resized that original photo down to 640 x 480, which is about the size of the "large" thumbnail
      Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Shawn, did you try this with an non-admin test account? Doesn't work for me yet.
        "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Nope......that's why I wanted you guys to take it for a test drive as well.
          Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Randy, are you at least seeing the attachments I added as thumbnails?
            Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Yep, your thumbnails are working great. That is a very very nice feature. When I try to attach, I get:

Last edited by hotshot; 08-11-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Grrrrr. Well, that's disappointing.

On the plus side, at least we know that the new forum will allow pics to be easily posted this way. It must just be an admin/mod/member setting type thing, and I bet they'll sort it out soon, similar to the avatars (fingers crossed )

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Are you actually seeing the paper clip, Randy, and the option buttons to upload, or is there not even that?

I wonder if your file type is an issue? The pics I attached above were JPEGS
                  Shawn Ferguson

Comment

I do see the paperclip. The type is jpg and is pretty small. I get this same error in other places. I researched it on the vbulletin vendor site a few days back and it is a pretty common site configuration problem. Since I'm not a "registered user", I can't see the code solutions. :-)
                    Last edited by hotshot; 08-11-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

testing it out..Here's mediumceltic cross fin' x02.jpg
                      celtic cross fin' x02.jpg Here's large..

Ok, I think I get it now...
                      By the way I just finished this and it has no finish on it here..It looks better finished as the colors pop better..

Now to figure out how to create my signature.
                      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                      No task is too tedious for Art.
                      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim, I will save you the time on the signatures. Unless you are an admin, you will be limited to straight text. Hopefully that problem is on someone's radar. -------------Randy

Comment

I checked the attachment button and it works for me today. The option of sizes is a great feature.
                          AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

So guys are these images hosted off site or on the forum's site?

Karl
                            Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

I get the invalid file notice also.
                              Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                              "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Bruce’s new toys
                                by will8989
                                I forgot to mention the 5000 watt(?) generator his brother gave him. His brother does house remodeling and lots of times people give him “stuff” just to get rid of it. Bruce had to drain the gas, change the fuel lines and some other minor things for $35 and it starts on the first pull....
                                Today, 09:20 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                This is his $40 haul. The paint bush was never used. He cleaned up the grinder. He added up all the attachments and brand new everything would be almost $800. This was their yearly tool swap. Every month members bring things they don’t need and swap smaller items. Even scrap wood. Anything 5”x5”...
                                Today, 09:06 AM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                That is what our woodworking group does for the members if sadly needed....
                                Today, 08:49 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Hi All
                                by Rolf
                                Where are you located in England? I was at RAF Lakenheath back in the early 70's and bought my 70 TVR Vixen, which I still have. I absolutely loved my time there.!...
                                Today, 08:46 AM
                              • Kingpin
                                Reply to Hi All
                                by Kingpin
                                all for the warm welcome 😎
                                Today, 07:03 AM
                              Working...
                              X